- ½ cup raw amaranth
- 1½ cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Zest from 1 lime
- 2 kiwi, skin removed and diced finely
- ½ large seeded tomato, diced finely
- 3 tablespoons finely diced white onion
- ¼ cup finely diced bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, diced finely
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- To make the chips, add amaranth and water to a small saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat, transfer cooked amaranth to a bowl and allow to chill for 30 minutes.
- Stir in salt and lime zest to the cooled cooked amaranth.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking sheet.
- Scoop up cooked amaranth using a teaspoon and roll between hands to form a ball. Press into prepared baking sheet and flatten with fingers to form a circle. The amaranth will be very sticky, just try your best to flatten to ?-inch or so. Repeat with remaining amaranth.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, remove, rotate and bake for another 10 minutes, until crisp.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine salsa ingredients in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate until chips are ready to eat!
Spread the love, earn karma points:
Nutrition Information Per Serving
- Calories: 84
- Calories from Fat: 11
- Total Fat: 1.2
- Sodium: 46 mg
- Carbs: 16.2 g
- Dietary Fiber: 2.7 g
- Net Carbs: 13.5 g
- Sugars: 3.5 g
- Protein: 2.9 g