Preparing for a camping trip is always a big deal for us. I create lists, line up everything by the front door to avoid forgetting things, and still, we end up scrambling last minute. I swear I’m an organized person I just get distracted, and so does Kevin!
The one, and most important, thing that I certainly did not forget to pack was a late afternoon lunch for the drive out to the campsite. From experience, there’s nothing worse than being in a car for 5 hours with no snacks. For Kevin especially. He’ll think he can get away with stopping off at a fast food joint on our way out of the city, then complains of feeling lethargic for the rest of the drive. No fun!
The beauty of our healthy lunch was that I was able to prep the chickpea mixture the day before so that we could focus on packing and getting out the door as soon as possible.
Heh… at least our lunch was prepped and ready to go on time!
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin coconut oil
- 1 medium (130g or 5? long, 2? diameter) sweet potato, diced
- ½ yellow onion, sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon Himalayan rock salt
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 tablespoon sun dried tomatoes
- Toppings of choice: chopped romaine, fresh tomatoes, avocado, spinach
- 4 gluten-free brown rice tortillas
- Melt coconut oil in a large cast iron pan on medium heat. Add sweet potatoes, onion, rosemary and salt, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and cook until heated through.
- Remove from heat and add bean filling to tortilla along with desired toppings. Wrap and serve.
- Leftover filling can be reheated the next day for lunch in a wrap, as a salad topper, or mixed in with some leftover rice.
I made this sweet potato hash for my Dad on Father’s Day but haven’t gotten around to sharing the recipe with you. In keeping with the sweet potato, long weekend feel.. here it is! You can guarantee I’ll be making this hash over the fire this weekend!
Sweet Potato Hash
Allergen info: Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free, Nut-free
Yield: 1.5 cups Servings: 1
Delicious sweet potato hash browns with crispy onions and chunks of fresh garlic.
- 2 teaspoon extra-virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 small sweet potato, cubed
- 1 small white potato, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the coconut oil in a medium-sized frying pan on medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes, stirring often to avoid burning.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add remaining ingredients and cover.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes, until potatoes have softened.
- Remove from heat, add a round or two of pepper and serve!
Have a safe and joyous weekend!
PS: don’t forget to enter for a chance to win a $50 goat dairy gift basket ;)
See you soon!