In preparation for the holidays, many of us decide to pick up a can of Ocean Spray cranberry sauce to save on time in the kitchen. Believe me the thought crossed my mind, it was a fleeting thought though because: that cranberry sauce is absolutely nutritionally void.
- Ingredients: Cranberries, glucose-fructose, glucose, water.
- Nutritional content (1/4 cup): 24g sugar, 0% vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 0% calcium, 0% iron
= nutritionally void
I rest my case.
Guaranteed, everyone can spare 20 minutes to make fresh cranberry sauce. You don’t have to baby sit it either. So in the end it will take up 5 minutes of your time tops. It tastes absolutely amazing. So much so that I ended up eating the leftovers on my hot cereal in the morning, right out of the jar, and finally, mixed in with a fruit salad.
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup water
- 4 cup cranberries (fresh is better)
- 1 pear
- 1 apple
- ¼ cup coconut nectar
- 1 lemon, rind only
- 2 tablespoon coconut sugar
- Combine cranberries, water and apple juice in a medium saucepan
- Heat covered on medium-high for 5 minutes (you’ll hear cranberries pop)
- Add remaining ingredients, cover and heat on medium-low for 10 minutes