No-Fuss Skillet Chocolate Cake (Gluten-free & Paleo)

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on January 26, 2014

No-Fuss Skillet Chocolate Cake (Gluten-free + Paleo) Paleo chocolate cake baked in a skillet for a no-fuss approach to dessert. Sweetened with figs and topped with thinly sliced strawberries.

Chocolate.

You love?

I love.

And, if you’re sensitive or allergic to it, there’s this awesome stuff called carob – a lightly alkalizing, non-stimulating, naturally sweet and lower fat alternative to chocolate.

Kelly, one of my dear friends, recently published a cookbook devoted to all things chocolate – The Paleo Chocolate Lovers’ Cookbook. Deliciously satisfying and visually stimulating, this book frees its readers from ever feeling restricted by the Paleo lifestyle.

No-Fuss Skillet Chocolate Cake-6268This book features 80 gluten-, grain-, and dairy-free treats for the health-conscious chocolate lover. There are even a bunch of egg-free recipes, too.

In it’s pages:: Chocolate-stuffed French Toast, Chocolate Granola, Chocolate Fudge, Mocha Truffles, with a special bonus chapter of savory recipes that incorporate chocolate. Chocolate Cherry Chicken Cutlets — heck yeah.

All of the recipes I’ve made from Kelly’s book have been outrageously delicious. But this skillet chocolate cake totally rocked my world.

It’s easy. It’s delicious and it will impress everyone and anyone, no matter their eating style.

No-Fuss Skillet Chocolate Cake (Gluten-free + Paleo)

4.7 from 3 reviews

No-Fuss Skillet Chocolate Cake
Author:
Allergens: Paleo, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 12

Wet Ingredients
Dry Ingredients
Topping
  • 8 strawberries, thinly sliced
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350F
  2. In a 12-inch cast iron skillet, add the 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil. Stir around to cover and set aside.
  3. Add all wet ingredients to the jug of your high-powered blender. Blend on high until fully combined.
  4. Turn off the blender, transfer the mixture to a clean bowl and add in the dry ingredients. Stir to combine.
  5. Pour mixture into prepared skillet. Flatten with the back of a spatula and top with an arrangement of the sliced strawberries.
  6. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
  7. Serve warm.
  8. Will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days. Do not freeze.
Notes
Eggs: this recipe will not work without eggs

Coconut flour: must be used in order for this recipe to work

Full-fat coconut milk: is from a can.

View nutrition information

No-Fuss Skillet Chocolate Cake (Gluten-free + Paleo)

You can make a circle pattern on the top of the cake like I did, or channel your inner Picasso and shape the strawberries into a heart for Valentine’s Day, perhaps?

No-Fuss Skillet Chocolate Cake (Gluten-free + Paleo)

Chat with me in the comments!

What cookbooks have you purchased recently?

The cookbook that you turn to time and time again – what is it? You know, the one you couldn’t live without…

Barbara

Love Kelly’s new chocolate book!!! Also can’t do without Alyssa’s “Nourishing Meals”. It’s like the “Joy of Cooking” for GF, DF people.

Oh! I’ll have to check it out, thanks for the recommendation, Barbara!

Erin

Could you use all-purpose gluten-free flour? I don’t have all those other flours just sitting around here…

Hi Erin – I’m not sure if gluten-free flour mix would work as coconut flour is a lot different…

Ashley

Hi Leanne! This looks incredible! Is there anyway to substitute the almond flour with g/f flour? Our family is allergic to almonds (most nuts) and wheat so we love recipes using coconut flour and other g/f and nut free flours. Hopefully we’ll still be able to make this!

bee

Can your family have seeds Ashley? Try blending sunflower seeds etc. in the food processor until they are a fine meal consistency, and go from there. If you want to use this trick in other recipes, just be aware that sometimes sunflower seeds have a tendency of turning green in a baked recipe that uses baking soda/bi carb soda. This recipe doesn’t use those, so it should be fine!

bee

You should be able to substitute extra cocoa powder for the coconut flour if needed. (I have tried interchanging them in other recipes, just haven’t tested this one).

Dina

OK this is going on the cookbook wishlist! It looks delicious! (And thank you for specifying for us coconut confused folks that that is a coconut milk from a can not from tetrapak … :-p)
What can’t I do without!? I know I’m very attached to LCBO’s “Food and Drink” magazine. I am this close to back ordering the ones I am missing/have missed. I sometimes adapt the recipes from there. But taken as they are, they have always been winners. Each and every one of them. They are so full proof, it’s ridiculous. I love them. Lately though, I’ve been all over the place with recipes, getting them from everywhere.

I’ve never heard of Food & Drink magazine… now I’ve GOT to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation, Dina :) Highly, highly recommend Kelly’s book. It’s so darn beautiful. Every recipe is a winner.

Dina

omg lcbo rules my world. OK, everything is online (or I’ve noticed 90% of the recipes are online) and you have to wait for the new one to come out for the previous one to be online. The anxiety kills me every time. When I was in Ontario, I would be there on the 1st day when the issue comes out. They are FREE and go like hot cakes!!! It comes out 4 times a year. Did I say it’s free?!?!?! Yes, there are ads for booze and promotions in there (whatever) but there are so many recipes, they are so good, I don’t care for the booze ads. There’s a theme for each issue, let’s say carrots, or coconut etc and there’s always an educational article and a few recipes around that. I love reading those articles (sadly, those, they are not online) :(

Renee

Can you use dates instead of figs?

I am sure that you could, Renee!

Kristine

Are mission figs easy to come by? Are they different than figs they sell at most grocery stores? Maybe that’s a silly question but I don’t know. ha

Hey Kristine! They’re at every grocery store I’ve ever been to. They are dark in color. The lighter ones would work, too.

Sarah Beaton

I noticed the recipe looks a little different from the one in the book. The book calls for stevia and dates. Did she change the recipe since the book was released?

Hi Sarah – you’re right, the recipe from the book is slightly different. I didn’t have stevia or dates so I improvised! Both are great approaches!

Shirley @ gfe & All Gluten-Free Desserts

Leanne, you and Kelly clearly make an awesome team! That is one fabulous adaptation of Kelly’s recipe! I’m so happy to share it over at All Gluten-Free Desserts. :-) Hope lots of new folks will find your blog and Kelly’s new book!

xo,
Shirley

Hey Shirley! I think the THREE of us make a good team. We should look to do something in the future… together. I think that would be a riot!

Shirley @ gfe & All Gluten-Free Desserts

Awww, what a sweet reply, dear! That would definitely be fun! :-) xo

Tinna

This cake looks AMAZNG! Just not a big fig fan… anything I could use instead? Dates perhaps?

Dates would totally work, Tinna ;)

Mrs G

Great recipe, Leanne!
Do you think I can make it in a normal baking dish of similar dimensions? I don’t have a cast iron skillet (shame on me!), only a Dutch oven which is way too big for this…

Hey! For sure, I’m sure any pan would do the trick. I’d go for a 10-inch or so circle pan and set parchment at the bottom.

bee

I love the idea of a cake made in a skillet.

The cookbooks I keep returning to are ‘Less Meat, More Veg’ by Rachel de Thample (which I use to cook for others more often than I make things out of there for myself, otherwise I just adapt to my needs), and Kelly’s ‘The Spunky Coconut Cookbook’.

I’ve heard really great things about that cookbook. Must pick it up!

Anna Popescu

I agree that this recipe looks great! I also need to know if I can make it in a regular baking dish because I don’t have anything cast iron…

Hey Anna – thank you! For sure, I’m sure any pan would do the trick. I’d go for a 10-inch or so circle pan and set parchment at the bottom.

Anna Popescu

Thank you! I will definitely try this recipe.

Kristin Johnson

Hi Leanne!! I was wondering if you could create a fun dish suitable for the Super Bowl this Sunday?!! I want to bring something creative if I can! Thanks! You rock :)

There’s one coming on Tuesday!!

Amanda B

I got Gwyneth Paltrow’s cookbook “It’s All Good” for christmas from my boyfriends family. It is gluten and dairy free (the occasional goat or sheep dairy is used, easily replaceable if needed) and the foods sounds wonderful, although I have yet to try any! I have a nice list of the ones I want to try though!

I have looked at that cookbook multiple times and have always wanted to pick it up. So many gems in there! Enjoy :)

Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables

Looks delicious! Do you think it might be possible to sub in dates for the figs? Just that I happen to have those handy….

Heck yes! Dates would work :)

Cindy

Looks fabulous, but do I have this right? Serves 12 @ over 300 calories per serving?

Hi Cindy – yes, you have it right. It’s because of all of the coconut oil and full-fat coconut milk. The recipe is whole foods based and full of super healthy ingredients! Far better than a storebought cake, that’s for sure ;) Enjoy!

Deanna

Recipe looks great..thanks for sharing! I am wondering how to sub stevia for the coconut sugar..was also thinking of using Lakanto sweetener.

Charlotte

Hi Leanne,
I’m interested in where to purchase Coconut Flour economically. T.J.’s has it for $4/lb and Amazon for slightly less,depending on brands. I’d heard that Cosco had it for @2/ib;but apparently not in every store. Also,I really want to substitute Cocoa Powder for the carob. Never heard of coconut butter or nectar-where can you pick up these?
i just read your post about everything coconut and would LOVE a GF,DG coconut chocolate ice cream that’s relatively simple. I just got rid of my little freezer liner for frozen desserts when I wasn’t feeling up to any of it. Thanks1

Hey Charlotte! We buy ours at Costco. Carob isn’t in the recipe so I’m guessing you mean another recipe? They are interchangeable. The everything coconut talks about coconut butter and nectar. I purchase them at the health food store.

Theresa C.

I love your blog and I am totally going to make this cake this weekend. So excited!

Merin Woods

This recipe looks great and very delicious!
I’m definitely going to try this out. Thanks for sharing!

Jenn Daniel

I made this last week and it was great! It reminded me of a flourless chocolate cake I made recently, but yours has none of the guilt of the butter and refined sugars in it, and is much more satisfying. I ended up serving the strawberries (with blackberries) sliced on the side, and whipped up the rest of the full fat coconut milk as a whip cream (like you did with your grain free lemon cookie tarts). I came home looking forward to a piece of it each night! :)