Vegan Lemon Pudding

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on March 7, 2013

Dairy-free Lemon Pudding (103)-2

We have two things to celebrate today…

Thing #1 – this recipe. It’s mind blowing-ly awesome. Preparing it (and writing about it) makes me feel like an anti-dairy ninja battling crap pudding everywhere with dairy-free ease and resourcefulness. HIYAH!

Thing #2 – holy flourishing business, batman. I had the opportunity to share a recipe on one of the largest, most popular food blogs in all the land, Skinny Taste. Working with Gina and having my work displayed on her blog was a mega proud moment for me and my business.

And who better to celebrate with than all you fabulous lovelies?

Dairy-free Lemon Pudding (94)-2

So… the recipe that I decided to share on Skinny Taste (that was also added to my collection of dairy-free recipes in the Done with Dairy Toolkit) was…

a 130 calorie per serving, vegan lemon pudding made with cauliflower.

*gasp*

I know, it’s crazy.

This pudding is dairy-free, vegan, grain-free, can be made sugar-free with stevia, is safe for candida folk, primal folk, fruit-free folk…

No foolin.

Head on over to Skinny Taste for the recipe, and while you’re over there, be sure to leave a comment displaying your Healthful Pursuit love. I’d really appreciate it!

A couple of notes about the recipe:

• make sure you weigh your cauliflower or, if you don’t have a scale, only roughly chop the florets, measure and then cook.
  • if you do not have a powerful blender like a vitamix, opt to finely grind your cauliflower before cooking so that it is easier to puree.
  • use fresh lemon juice NOT store-bought
  • make sure you get a large lemon and zest it completely!

Dairy-free Lemon Pudding (132)-2

Now I’d love to hear from YOU. What was your most recent proud moment, where you just had to step back and smile in all of your glory?

How do you celebrate your success?

I’d love to hear about it in the comments below!

Kevin

The thought of using cauliflower to make a pudding is bizarre, or at least it is to me. I was very skeptical when Leanne asked me to try it – oh was I amazed. This pudding is awesome. Somebody needs to mass produce this pudding!

Really big successes aren’t that frequent, so I think it is important to embrace all the little successes on the way. I create my own proud moments. After every line of code written (that works). After every new “thing” learned… be proud of it all! I usually celebrate my successes with a big smile and a good feeling inside. Then I look for the next challenge.

Michelle

Kevin, I can sure see why Leanne is so fond of you – you’re a good guy all around. :)

Liz

Kevin,

You sound totally awesome. :) I love that comment at Leanne’s “workplace.” And, it’s good to hear how good this pudding tastes, straight from “the horses mouth.” But, by now, I think most of us have learned never to doubt Leanne’s ninja food skills. She’s a black belt in YUM. :)

And you’re SO right about the little things. So often they get overlooked and go unrecognized when they’re just as worthy of celebration and recognition as the “big” things. My BF isn’t a programmer by occupation, but he dabbles in it — when necessary — for work. So, I know first hand, how hard you guys work to try and get successful coding, and, when it happens, it’s definitely something worth celebrating! If the rest of the world only knew that our computer age of information was all thanks to and dependent on you (ie: programmers), there’d be statues erected. :) But, alas, this world seems not ready for your greatness. So I’m glad you have someone at home to feed you lemon pudding made out of cauliflower and cheesecake cups made out of cashews. :)

PS If your “coding” is referring to something besides programming, disregard all statements above relating to that. :)

Jan @ Sprouts and Squats

I just got away with making Quinoa for my bf for the first time. I wonder if I can get away with making this pudding without him knowing its made from cauliflower? Hehe worth a shot for sure

I can’t wait to hear when you do!

You’ll be pleased to know that cauliflower is on my grocery list for this week! This isn’t a really enormous accomplishment, but I was contacted last night and it looks like I’ve got a new client (or two!) Congrats again on your Skinnytaste post – awesome awesome AWESOME!

Wait… why did you discount your accomplishment by saying it wasn’t enormous? Pfft. Every step in the right direction is HUGE! Don’t forget that, lady. Now, make yourself some pudding and forget you ever said it ;)

Michelle

Anti-Dairy Ninja – HIYAH! Now THERE’S an image! Congrats on your feature on Skinny Taste. :) Is it okay for me to confess that I’ve never heard of that blog before?!? But I guess I’ll have to take a look – we need to pour out our HP love all over the place. [grin]

I am proud of who I am stepping up to be, really accepting that I have some strong gifts to share rather than always turning on the false modesty – or even more insidious – second guessing that I have anything to offer at all! It’s only baby steps to celebrate so far, but that’s the foundation of all larger things, right? I haven’t done any celebrating yet, though… Time to look into that. Thanks for the reminder!

Thanks for the HP love pourin’ I madly appreciate it.

Accepting that you have SOMETHING to offer… that IS power. Way to go, Michelle. You should be ultra proud of that. Celebrate. You need it.

Angie

Oh my…this is brilliant! I making this very soon! My little one
Loves cauliflower…and lemon…curious about this one for sure. Thank you, Leanne!

You’re welcome, Angie! I’m excited to see how your little family likes it!

Jo-Anne

And I was wondering what to do with the mammoth bag of lemons I bought the other day. Thanks, Leanne! l will most definitely be making this today for dessert – stay tuned!

Ohhhh yes. We have mammoth bags of lemons, too. Magically though, I always seem to go through them in a week. Not sure where they all go…. can’t wait to hear what you thought of the recipe!

Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family

I am heading over to check and the recipe and give your blog some love.

The pudding looks quite tasty Leanne! Congratulations on the success here :)

Thanks for the blog lovin’ ;)

Pamela

Hi Leanne,
I am so glad you were featured on skinnytaste. That is how I came across your great recipes. I love the Healthful Pursuit site and look forward to trying the gluten free recipes for my niece and sister. I printed out your 35 page e-book too. The recipes look nutritious and so yummy. Thanks! And congrats to you for being featured on Gina’s site. I look forward to receiving your emails and recipes too. :)

Wow, you printed the whole book? You GO girl! I’m so happy that the feature allowed for us to connect. I can’t wait to hear how you like some of the recipes once you’ve given them a shot :)

Jo-Anne

Leanne, I think having a Vita-Mix must be critical to getting the smooth texture you describe. Although (on the advice of others) I: 1) pulsed the cauli before cooking,, 2) cooked it twice as long as was recommended, just to make sure it was really soft and 3) processed it for a 10 minutes with all the other ingredients, my pudding turned out grainy and tasted ever so faintly of cauliflower. If the texture were creamier, I think I’d fiddle with the sweetness (a little more maple syrup) and sourness (a little more lemon juice) for my taste, but to be honest, I don’t think I’ll try it again. Maybe a version with agar-agar… That said, this will not dampen my daily excitement to see what new, cool thing you’ve cooked up. Tomorrow I’ll try the blood-orange parfaits! :D

Dana

Congratulations, Leanne! Heading over to the skinnytaste site now to show some HP love. :)

Also: your creative knack really astounds and inspires me! I would NEVER have thought to use cauliflower in anything dessert-like. EVER. You rock the dairy-free world! (AND THE WHOLE INTERNET!!)

Love the HP love. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to do it! (and thanks for all of your kind words, I’m blushing!)

sophie

Congratulations on your success, Leanne! You deserve it – especially with all the hard work you put into this blog (it shows!)

Thanks Sophie! I’m dedicated to this blog and to all of you. I’m blessed in every which way!

Kim

Hi Leanne! I came upon this recipe because I’m an avid Skinnytaste reader/lover, and I could not be more excited to have landed upon your site! I’m new to the no processed, no dairy, no sugar lifestyle, and loved the search feature for your recipes. It’s like the holy grail. I’ve already shared it with NUMEROUS friends. I cannot wait to try this recipe, and get my cooked veggie hatin’ boyfriend a dessert run for his money. :)

One quick question though, if I wanted to substitute Stevia in the Raw for the sugar, how much would I use?

Thank you so much, and I look forward to trying your recipes!

I’m so happy that you like the search page! That’s great feedback, Kim. And thank you for sharing my blog with your pals. I’m so happy that you found me!

I’ve never used Stevia in the Raw… I looked it up but couldn’t find too much info about it. Do you know if it’s concentrate? If so, do about 1/4 teaspoon to start. If not, about 1 tablespoon should do the trick. But every stevia is a bit different.

Jessica Sinclair

Leanne,
I soooo have to try this recipe! I’m lactose intolerant so it will be the first time in quite a while that I’ve had pudding :). I’m assuming that it’ll work with Lime juice as well, a taste that I much prefer to lemon. I’ll be sure to let you know how it turns out! Your recipes look amazing… I can’t wait to play….
Jess

Lynne Wallace

Can’t wait to make this pudding!
My most recent proud moment happened a few weeks ago. My boss told me that a woman in a fraud department at another company said that the fraud filtering process I implemented for our website was the most thorough she has ever seen. I’ve never gotten such a big complement from someone I’ve never met.

So I LOVE cauliflower. I can’t believe I never thought to do this! Someone last week linked up a recipe for a cauliflower pudding. I think hers was peanut butter… either way, I need to start making pudding! This looks fabulous.

alexandra

I posted on the other site but wanted to be sure you how much I loved tghis! I used coco powder and it rocked. I love your recipes!

Cecily

WOW. I recently found your blog. So excited to try this! Thank you for sharing and I LOVE the photos.

Ally @ Om Nom Ally

A pudding made with cauliflower! Genius :D
Congrats on being featured on Skinny Taste, you should feel incredibly proud!

Lisa

Made this yesterday with blanched and frozen organic cauliflower from our summer garden. OMGEE! I am SO glad I tripled the amount of cauliflower seedlings for this year. They will be planted out shortly and I will smile thinking of all the yummy things I will be making with them…even next winter…courtesy of you! You are AH-MAZING! Congrats on your Skinny Taste feature!!

woohoo! So happy that you liked it!!

Joanna

I made this over the weekend and was really pleased with the result, i really like cauliflower, but would never have thought of using it fo pudding. My attempt wasn’t totally smooth (i should have cooked the cauliflower a bit longer), but that was fine as the texture reminded me of semolina pudding, which i haven’t had for a long long time. That made me try heating up my second portion, which worked pretty well too.
You are so creative in the kitchen, i really look forward to seeing what you’ve come up with each day :)

Julia

I tried this pudding the day you posted it. I really liked the flavor, and could only very faintly taste the fact that it was made with cauliflower. If I didn’t know the ingredients, I doubt I could have identified it. I tried subbing half coconut nectar and some stevia. Next time, I’ll make it a little sweeter; the lemon was pretty powerful. It would be nice with some strawberries incorporated in some way! My only problem was that my pudding never fully firmed up–I had more of a thick cream soup consistency. Perfectly edible, but not pudding. I used a Vitamix, and it was beautifully smooth. I’ll definitely make this one again and start playing around with modifications, just because I love the idea of using cauliflower as the base for a little treat!

Thanks for sharing your experience, Julia. You’re right, it doesn’t fully firm-up as a regular high starch pudding would. But I’m happy you liked it nonetheless :)

Mrs G

Hi, Leanne!
I made this recipe but I can still taste the cauliflower and the lemon very well. The flavours did not melt, so it was really tart and adding honey to my cup did not really change the outcome.
What can have gone wrong?
My blendtec is broken at the moment, so I cooked the cauliflower longer and I processed smooth with hand blender. The texture was really ok, no lumps and no chunks. I used palm sugar, should I have used regular sugar? I weighed the cauliflower down and I used fresh lemon juice.
I followed the recipe to the letter, as I always do when trying something new.
It’s really a pity because I was so exicited to make a diabetes friendly recipe. Any ideas how to “save” (sorry, I cannot find a better word) the rest of this pudding still sitting in my fridge?

Hi Giorgia – sorry that you had a bad experience with this recipe! I made the recipe for Skinny Taste using white sugar because that’s the style over there. I bet you would need more sugar if you were using palm sugar as it’s not as sweet. Probably about 1/4 cup. Did you let it sit for the 18 hours? Again, so sorry.

Mrs G

Hi, Leanne!
thank you for your kind answer. Yes, the pudding stayed in my fridge for more than 18 hours, almost a full day. I used palm sugar since the recipe stated “Any type of sugar would work here. White, brown, coconut sugar… “.
I quite like palm sugar, it has a nice flavour, better in my opinion than white sugar which is only sweet.
Well, next time I will use white sugar and I hope that by then my blendtec will have been repaired….
Thank you again!

You’re right, I’m not a fan of white sugar either… and now I have a whole bag of it in my pantry! What to do… what to do… I’m so sorry that this didn’t work out for you. It sounds like you did everything right. Did you measure the cauliflower? 350 grams?

Don

This has to be the most creative recipe I have found in a long time. I would have never though that such a dairy free pudding would be possible, especially out of cauliflower of all things. I definitely will have to try it!

haha thanks, Don! That means so much to me. I’d love to know how you like it when you give it a shot! Have a great afternoon, Don :)

Michelle

Leanne, Need a tip! Made the pudding, weighed the cauliflower. Looks great in the end. But there is still a hint of cauliflower taste. I don’t mind it. But the rest of the crew in the house picked it out and weren’t so keen on eating anymore. Is it just the cauliflower I used? AND I did let it sit for 18 hours. Any suggestions? Thanks for the kitchen adventures you create! They are so much fun and can really cause me to think out of the box! Helps so much with all our food sensitivities!

Hmm… that is very strange! It could have been the type of cauliflower. Perhaps mine was more mild? If you need to ‘save’ it you could add a couple of drops of lemon extract!

Toni

Just a quick note to say that even though this recipe sounded very dubious, I went ahead anyway, and boy am I glad I did. This dessert is amazing! The texture is baby-bottom soft, almost velvety. My cauliflower took much longer cooking time to become soft (which meant I had to add more milk along the way), I added too much lemon and not enough sugar, but damn it was good – too good in fact to wait the 24 hours resting time – give it to me hot, straight from the pot (I did manage to save a bit for later too)! My mind is buzzing with the possibilities of other flavours… banana or chocolate pudding sounds right up my alley too! Thanks Leanne!!

Jo

Made this yesterday. I tasted the cauliflower a little bit but it was okay.I put some cacao in a little batch that was great. Today I made some without lemon with vanilla en blended a banana with it. 😁