Raspberry Linzer Cookies

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on June 18, 2012

I hope you enjoyed your weekend! The highlight of mine was meeting my sister at our parent’s house early yesterday morning to treat our Dad to a Father’s Day feast. I brought along a basket filled with ingredients for pancakes and sausage scramble, and Christina, my sister, brought her mad chopping skills. Boy can that girl wield a knife!

The three of us hung out in the kitchen while Christina and I cooked, then spent the day out on the patio sharing jokes, telling stories, and smiling incessantly.

Just look at how happy he is there with that stack of pancakes in front of him ;)

I owe so much to my Dad. He has supported me through the rough patches, has one of the strongest shoulders to cry on, and always knows how to make me laugh.

I was in such a cheery and loving mood when I got home that I decided to make Kevin a treat using his favorite fruit of all time, raspberries.

Kevin goes crazy for raspberries. Every time we go grocery shopping together he makes it his mission to find as many new raspberry flavored foods as possible. The items he finds are usually a disappointment – artificial color there, unnatural flavor there, and loads of sugar to top it all off. In an effort to help him avoid as many processed raspberry treats as possible, I try to create recipes that will nourish his raspberry obsession without having his blood sugar sky rocket.

This week, I focused on combining his favorite fruit with his favorite cookie…

While the linzer cookie was a dessert reserved for Christmas during Kevin’s childhood i Germany, lightening up the recipe with grain-free flours, minimal sugar, and organic jam transforms it into a treat that can be enjoyed year round. And, if the organic jam happens to be raspberry flavored, you can bet Christmas or not, Kevin will be all over it!

print, email or text this recipe

4.0 from 1 reviews

Raspberry Linzer Cookies
Author:
Allergens: Vegan (option), Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 10 cookie sandwiches, 10 servings

Traditionally, linzer cookies (also known as sandwich cookies around our house) are made up of flour, ground nuts, sugar, egg yolks, spices and lemon zest and filled with preserves. Being from Germany, they are one of Kevin’s favorite and rarely saved just for Christmas. These healthy, vegan, grain-free, linzer cookies have a coconut flour base, converting this otherwise heavy dessert into a light and sinfully delicious raspberry cookie sandwich!
Instructions
  1. Sift almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
  2. In a smaller bowl, mix together oil, honey and vanilla with a hand mixer until combined.
  3. Add wet ingredients to dry, and mix with hand mixer until incorporated.
  4. Place dough in the center of a large piece of parchment paper and cover with an additional sheet of parchment. Roll out to ⅛ inch thick and place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
  5. Preheat oven to 350F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicon baking mat. Set aside
  6. Remove dough from freezer. Using a Wilton linzer cookie cutter set, press cookie shapes into dough. You will probably have to bake the cookies in batches as the dough becomes sticky after a couple of minutes. When this happens, place the first batch in the oven for 5 minutes, roll out dough to ⅛ inch thick again and place back in freezer.
  7. Remove cookies from oven when just lightly golden edges, no more than 5 minutes. Allow to cool on the parchment paper lined/silicon mat lined cookie sheet for 2 minutes before transferring to a rack to cool.
  8. Repeat with remaining dough, freezing for a couple of minutes in between batches.
  9. I kept the linzer heart cutouts and baked for 3 minutes once all cookies were done.
  10. Once cooled completely, place 1 tsp jam on the top of the rectangle pieces and place cutout section over top. Repeat with remaining cookies and enjoy!
Notes
To make vegan, use agave nectar, coconut nectar, or other liquid sweetener. Feel free to freeze remaining cookies as they keep really well in the freezer!

While I let Kevin have the cookie sandwiches all to himself, you better believe I collected the little hearts for my lunches for the week. They’re just so cute and fun to eat!

IdaBaker

I’ve never tried almond or coconut flour, but now you’ve got my curiosity going. These look really good.

It’s great you had a wonderful time with your Dad.

Coconut flour, when baked correctly, is delicious! It’s quite finicky though, so does take a bit of getting used to. Thankfully, the dogs like it too so when something doesn’t turn out, they’re more than willing to take one for the team!

Oh my goodness Leanne, these look so perfect, like they could have come out of a packet!! It sounds like you and your family had a great Fathers Day… and I’m sure Kevin was feeling very loved too! :)

Thanks, Angela ;) The three of us had a grand time, it’s too bad my Mom couldn’t be there, too. She doesn’t get any of our jokes anyways, so I’m sure she didn’t miss out on THAT much. Hope you had a great Monday!

chris

These look incredible. How do you find the time for making all of your scrumptious creations? LOL

Can I use liquid stevia instead of honey? How much? Should I add water to compensate for the liquid?

Thanks!!!!

I’m not sure where I find the time… I just always seem to be in the kitchen making something or other!
I’m not sure if you could use stevia in place of the honey. Coconut flour is very, very sensitive. I had to use the honey to hold things together. Date paste may work better than stevia.

I used to love these as a kid! I never knew they could be made so “clean.” Definitely marking these to try! They are so pretty!

LizAshlee

These are adorable! They look perfect for a Valentine’s Day treat too! :)

Thanks, Liz. Yah, I wish I had thought of this recipe sooner. I don’t think I did any Valentine’s baking this year… better late than never, right?

Danielle

Very cute! These remind me of Christmas tree cookies my Mom makes during the holidays… 2 sugar cookies with raspberry jam in the middle. But this sounds like a better alternative… :)

Mmm sugar cookies were one of my Christmas favorites, too!

Min @ savortherainbow

Oh wow!! They look gorgeous and delish!! So gifted you are!! And I’m with you on the little hearts. They are a force to be reckoned with, No? I love everything that’s mini! I think the baby donuts (donut holes) taste better than their parents =).

I couldn’t agree with you more, Min. Doughnut holes are far superior… I just wish I could learn how to bake them properly without them turning into the shape of mud pies!

Irina @ Chocolatea Time

Wow these are so beautiful!! I love all things raspberry too but these would be fun to make with other fillings…the possibilities are endless!

I bet date or fig paste would be really good. Definitely will be trying that with the next batch!

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

These are absolutely adorable Leanne, I cannot wait to make these! (and now I want one of those cookie cutter sets,)
What a nice daughter you are :) Hope you enjoyed your day with your Dad yesterday!

You can never have too many cookie cutter sets…. ever. ;)

Gorgeous recipe and what PRECISION with those cutouts..omg. Surgeon’s hands you have!

How sweet are these :D ADORABLE!!!! I’ll need to keep this in mind for valentine’s :P

caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy

those are so sweet!!! i love the little hearts:) what a special treat. thanks for sharing!

Janae Wise

Yum, Leanne. I make something like this during Christmastime, but I’ve never made anything grain-free, although I’ve had grain-free bread made from almond flour & it was amazing!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner

Oh my gosh, those cookies are ADORABLE!!! I love the little heart cutouts in them! :D

Mikelle @ Zen Thyroid

Yay! So excited to make these!! What a great recipe and a gorgeous finished product. And yes, yes, yes, the little hearts are absolutely the cutest things ever :)

The date paste idea is good one and I am always thinking about how chocolate can be part of what I eat. That said, the rasperries looks amazing and I must try them all!

I’m so glad that you gave the recipe a try, Mikelle! There are so many possibilities to what you can fill them with, right? Enjoy!

Sue

I’m allergic to almonds. Is there another nut flour I could use? (also am allergic to peanuts, sesame)

I’ve been thinking I could use hazelnut flour, do you have any suggestions? I’d love to make these!

Hi Sue – I have not worked with other nut flours, but I’ve heard that chestnut and hazelnut act very similarly to almond flour. I hope that helps!

Sue

Thanks!

kankana

The cookies look really really cute and so neatly designed. I am gonna give this a try sometime.

Joy

The cookies look great.

Ellie@Fit for the Soul

This looks too delicious, for reals. It’s so appealing too. I can’t believe that they came out so perfect even though you used coconut flour and no eggs! I guess the almond has enough fats to bind it together….very interesting!

I know, I couldn’t believe it either!

Dana Zia

I’m purrrring over these! I made Linzer cookies for Christmas and looked and looked for a grain free recipe and could not find it, and here you are!! Cheers darling!

Tracy @ Commit to Fit

I can’t believe that I missed these, they look delicious!

Kathi

I’ve tried to bake it. They look very yummy and great. From a total 1 cup of flour I do not get 10 cookies. The dough with the coconut oil is also very soft. Is it really is your recipe? Too bad, did everything exactly as described. Greetings from Germany Kathi

Hi Kathi – it could be in the form you were using. Did you use the Wilton form as I linked to in the recipe? Yes, the dough is very soft. Be sure to place it in the freezer between batches as I listed. Hoping I can help pinpoint what happened here as I’ve made this recipe many times with great success!

Dana B

Just made these and yhey were awesome!! I used apple butter for the filling. Yum! :) Thx for a terrific recipe!

Dana