Dairy-free Eggnog

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on December 6, 2011

I spent the weekend singing along to Christmas music as I flitted around my kitchen creating Christmas treats for…. myself.

Ya, I dance in my kitchen and I’m proud of it.

I’d like to think that it sufficiently revved up my appetite for a nice full cup of homemade eggnog… or two.

But who’s counting, right?

Lightly adapted from Spunky Coconut

To print, email or text this recipe, click here.

4.8 from 4 reviews

Dairy-free Eggnog
Author:
Allergens: Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free, Nut-free
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 4

Why have I never done it before?! The process is simple enough, the ingredient list is short, and the end result is superb (and so much healthier than the store-bought version).
Instructions
  1. My Mom taught me to separate the whites from yolks using this method. By far the easiest way!
  2. Place egg yolks in a small mixing bowl and set aside
  3. Combine remaining ingredients in a medium sized saucepan and bring to a simmer on medium heat.
  4. Reduce heat to low.
  5. Slowly add approximately ¼ cup of the hot liquids to the egg yolks while whisking continuously. Continue until you’ve added about one cup of the liquid mixture to the egg yolks before transferring the yolks to the pot.
  6. Bring back up to medium heat and whisk while simmering for 4 minutes.
  7. Remove from heat and serve immediately or pour in a mason jar and refrigerate.
  8. Best sprinkled with a touch of ground cinnamon and nutmeg!
Notes
If you are paleo, look for guar gum free coconut milk (easily found in the ethnic isles of many grocery stores!)
Also, to lower the fat content in this drink, use lite coconut milk as opposed to full-fat.
If you plan on drinking the eggnog right away, opt for less nutmeg (1/2 tsp is best). If you’re planning on letting it sit for 1-2 days before enjoying, go with 1 teaspoon. I found that the longer it sat, the more the flavor developed instead of hitting you with a strong punch of nutmeg!

View nutrition information

If you’re like me and just can’t get enough Christmas right now, Divya over at Flavour Fiesta just came out with the Winter issue of Flavour Fiesta Magazine!

If you don’t remember, or you’re new to the blog, Divya was the amazing lady that inspired us all to believe in ourselves and begin the journey of defining what gift we have to give the world.

Again, Divya showcases deliciously healthy recipes, health articles, and has included many innovative approaches to creating balance during the holidays.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, I’m off to figure out if I can make a tasty breakfast with the 500mL of eggnog I have sitting in the fridge.

Have a fabulous Tuesday!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

Well, you did it for me! I was going to work on a dairy free eggnog recipe and now I don’t need to! This sounds amazingly delicious and festive!

Anyone that can make a non-dairy beverage that tastes like eggnog is a genius in my mind! Thanks for the introduction to Divya and the magazine – I haven’t read any of your previous mentions of either but I’m off to check her site out now!

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous

Looks great! I love eggnog this time of year!

Laura @ A Healthy Jalapeño

Looks excellent. I just made my first vanilla almond milk eggnog and it was great, light and without all the calories. THis looks perfect!

This looks wonderful and love that you made it dairy free. Who needs the So Delish coconut nog when you can make homemade…genius!

Saw your last recipe on FG when I was submitting. Congrats!

Eggnog is so easy-and I make it just like you do with coconut and almond milk! The only difference really between your recipe and mine is the added sweetener!

You should make eggnog pancakes for breakfast! I keep seeing “eggnog cookies” everywhere, so I’m sure you can make pancakes, too.

I have never tried egg nog before because it always sounded so weird to me, but this actually sounds delicious! Would love to try out this recipe! :) Love the photos in this post, by the way.

Kasey @powercakes.blogspot.com

This is such a great idea! Looks awesome girl :-) love the holidays!!

The Farmers Wife

This looks so great! Thanks for posting this recipe!

Heidi @ Food Doodles

Looks delicious :D I was so surprised at how easy it was too. I made a dairy version and non dairy and totally preferred the non-dairy with almond milk. So good! I love that you added cinnamon, I’m going to try that next time :)

Evan Thomas

Looks great! I have eggnog on my to-make list for the holiday season. But I also went ahead and bought a half gallon of the So Delicious nog because it was tempting me, so I have a lot to drink right now :-)

katie @KatieDid

ohhh anything you make adding the nog instead of milk or water is going to turn out fabulous! I’m not a big fan of eggnog straight up but I can appreciate the flavor in other baked goods!

Divya

Thanks for the lovely mention, Leanne! And that eggnog looks pretty darn good. I might just try that recipe when I make that eggnog cookie dough shake the next time!

Lisa

I have been thinking about eggnog for days and days….how I should make it, whether I should skip the dairy, etc.

This sounds amazing—thanks for sharing :)

Alaina

Just made this… It is SOOOO good! Thanks for sharing your recipe Leanne!

I’m so happy you liked it, Alaina!

LizAshlee

Last time I tried to make eggnog it was an unsuccessful attempt..time to try again with this recipe! Thanks…have an awesome day!:)

Simone (Simple Healthy Homemade)

Ohhhh you so have me wanting to make this right now. But, no eggs till tomorrow, arrgghhh. It looks super delicious can’t wait to try it!

Lauren @ www.cravingsgoneclean.com

This looks great! I’m definitely going to try it. You should totally use it in french toast in the morning! It’s one of my favorite ways to use nog. Or even to amp up pancake batter!

David, Good Karma Foods

Yum, great recipe! You could also make it nut free as well as dairy-free by using Flax Milk!

Flax milk? What is this glorious stuff you speak of?! I’ve never heard of flax milk before. Googling it NOW!

David, Good Karma Foods

Let us know if you try it!

Nathanael "Homecook"

Thanks so much, I just cooked it up for my parents and siblings and (after cleaning up the big mess) they will hopefully enjoy it! :-)

Amy@Serving Pink Lemoande

Thank you for this recipe! I can’t have dairy right now and was just realizing I wouldn’t get to have egg nog this year, but now I can! I can’t wait to try it.

It’s the very next best thing! I also made an eggnog smoothie if you’re interested. I practically live on the stuff in December!

Annie

Hi, I stumped upon this recipe during a Google search :) Wow, that is a BOATLOAD of fat (even though I’m all for healthy fats). Is there a reason you use full-fat coconut milk instead of low-fat? I’m sure it affects creaminess and texture? Thanks :)

Hi Annie – yes, the full fat coconut milk definitely contributes to the fat content. You can use lite coconut milk as well, just wont be as creamy but still equally as tasty! Hope that helps :)

tash

I wanted to make this specifically because I wanted the fat, especially egg and coconut fat. I can’t have dairy (allergy in my nurseling) and I don’t eat meat so I am not getting as much fat as I should. Store bought dairy free nog is also egg free and is thin and bland. This recipe was super thick for me, more like a thin custard. Tasted great. I did add more sugar though and added nutmeg til it seemed good. My daughter made “Perfect Coconut Macaroons” from AR with the leftover whites.

Annie

*stumbled, not stumped :)

lily

Eggs and egg yolks are considered dairy – therefore this isn’t really dairy free, or vegan.

Hi Lily – it depends on what you’re referencing. There are many sources that do not consider eggs dairy. I struggled with this when I set up the blog so went to Wikipedia for direction. Dairy is considered the byproduct of the mammary glands of mammals like cows or goats; or in other words, milk. In the case of recipes here on the blog, dairy-free does not consider eggs. But yes, you’re right. That was a typo with the vegan label. Thanks for catching that! :)

lily

Thanks -just thought I’d point it out for the true vegans. I know that hard-core vegans will not eat honey since it is from an “animal” source. I make an exception because in my head it’s an insect, not an mammal/animal, but I guess if you got technical about the whole animal kingdom thing…well, I would lose that argument! :)

Aurelia

Hi Leanne

Thanks for the recipe! I substituted nutmeg (not a fan) and allspice (didn’t have any) for 3oz of Cuban rum and it turned out fantastic!

Wow, nice! I like your style, Aurelia!

Jen

How long will this keep in the fridge?

Hi Jen – 3 days tops. Hope that helps!

Jana

Thanks for this recipe. I’ve been looking for an egg nog that looked good as my daughter is milk protein intolerant. Some of the recipes are just odd (one called for egg whites and a bit of turmeric–huh?). I miss being in the States and just getting Silk nog, but I can’t find any egg nog here, much less a store-bought one. This recipe looks like just the trick for me!

One side note–you list it as nut free, but that wouldn’t be the case as it’s made with almond milk–that would be a nut. I don’t mind as I love almond milk, but it isn’t nut free at all.

Thanks again!

Robyn Wilson

Any suggestions on a sub for the coconut milk? I’m allergic.

Katie

This was really delicious, but I think next time I may make it with more egg yolks..I need more of an eggy taste. But it is still really good and I will definitely be using this recipe again! We are completely dairy free in my household because of my daughters allergy so I am always looking for new dairy free alternatives. Thank you for this!

QuaqueNocte

I made this recipe twice last year, once for myself and again with the recipe doubled for my family. It was so delicious. I plan on making it again this year for the holidays. I just love how it’s so easy and best of all, dairy-free. Having been lactose intolerant for almost a decade now, it’s such a wonder to find recipes that suit my “condition” and this is one of those recipes that taste better than the original dairy version in my opinion. Thanks for a great recipe!

I’m so happy that you liked it! And twice? That’s fantastic :) Happy Holidays!

DeAnna Nunez

HI Leanne, Thanks for posting this recipe! I made it last night for my family. It reminded me of Horchata. I am curious about substituting the sugar for stevia. I’ll be doing that next time around. Thanks for the recipe, I’m sharing it with my community- Mind Body Fit Club!!

Jennifer

Looking forward to trying this. I am newly lactose intolerant. My mom always makes egg nog from scratch, which is waaaay better than the stuff you can buy in the store, soy nog, egg nog or otherwise. I hope I will like this. As to the author’s question, what to do with 500 mL of egg nog for breakfast – could you make egg nog pancakes?? Mmmm….

Pancakes or smoothies… you could add it to oatmeal, too!

Nancy Troyer

Leanne, Question for you:
Can I use an egg yoke substitute, like Egg Beaters, in place of the egg yolks? Just sayin’

Hey Nancy – you know what? I have no idea… I’ve never tried making it with just egg whites… if you try it, let me know how it goes!!