How to Make Inexpensive Cake Stands

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on November 7, 2011

The day I fell in love with Pinterest was when I learned that you can make beautiful cake stands out of old plates and cups.

Awesome, right?

Being the crafty lady that I am; or try to be, I knew I had to give this a whirl.

What you’ll need

• A couple plates + cups – I purchased mine at Value Village for an insanely cheap price
  • Some glossy spray paint
  • 1 Frosted glass finish spray paint (craft store)
  • Epoxy
  • Doilies – because you should never place food on a spray painted surface
  • Beads if you want to wrap them around the base of the stand before painting
  • Newspaper
  • A couple of text books
  • Rag + water
  • Working gloves… because getting epoxy on your fingers sucks. Trust me.

Step by step

The epoxy that I used recommended that the surface you’re sticking to be wet.

Use a damp rag to wet the bottom of the plate.

Then place a small amount of epoxy around the rim of the glass.

Place the cup down on the plate.

Use a couple of text books from your boyfriends’ office as ‘clamps’ because you’re too lazy to go down to the basement to look for the real clamps. And, how would you clamp this, anyways??

Repeat with all of your other plates and cups.

Warning: you could get epoxy on the books.

… sorry Kevin <3

Wait a couple of hours…

The epoxy should bubble up and be hard to the touch. Try touching it with the end of a pen, just in case.

Spray the glass with frosted glass spray paint. This will make sure that the colored gloss spray paint stays on the stand for years to come!

The frosted glass finish spray paint looks like this (second one on the left):

Start painting!

I flipped the stands upside down and started with the base. The thinner the coat the better, so it doesn’t run. Do 2-3 coats before flipping the stand over and doing another 2-3 coats on the top of the stand.

Voila! Now… to make room for all of your new cake stands.

I think I may have gone a tad overboard; they’re just so fun to create!

Stay tuned tomorrow for the recipe to the delicious cupcake above, and don’t forget to enter my latest giveaway ;)

Have a fabulous Monday!

Oh that is such a great idea!

With Pinterest I have self-limited myself to mostly looking at food. That alone is just….mind boggling.

I have avoided crafts, DIY projects, style for the home, etc. b/c I would never leave my desk OR never stop doing projects if I started broadening my scope. :)

These are genius! Love the idea, thanks for sharing, Leanne!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over

What a great find! I love this idea :)

Looking forward to the cupcake recipe too!

ADORABLE! And Leanne, you are such a tease. I need that cupcake recipe in my life today not tomorrow!

This is so cool Leanne!! Perfect timing too, because I was making muffins this weekend and kept thinking when I was taking photos of them that I really wish I had some stands for them! And about that epoxy on the textbooks …. I’m pretty sure I have that International Business one… don’t worry, it’s not exactly a thriller – Kevin probably won’t be needing it again. ;)

Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense

What a brilliant idea!!
So creative =)
Can’t wait to do this!

Alanna

O M G! I love it! I absolutely love crafts and this is just way too awesome!!

Kristina

these are awesome – I love the colors!

I used to run a European deli / bakery, and I was looking for a VERY specific shape of stand for my dessert display – I couldn’t find one (and stubborn as I am, could not get that out of my mind), so I made one, just like this! I even used Gorilla Glue… ;) I remember my staff looking at me funny, laughing at me, but then LOVED what I made… and everyone took great care of it, washing by hand, etc. :D

That’s awesome! haha when you want something done right, you just have to do it yourself! Gorilla glue is seriously the best. I ended up buying the big tube and used maybe 1 tsp of it. Need to find more things to epoxy?!?!

Leah

Those look FABULOUS! Totally love them!! Thanks for sharing.

You have officially created a monster. Everyone I know will be receiving these for Christmas this year. Best idea ever!!!

An awesome monster! haha they will love them! You could even give them to people with baked stuff on top!!

char @ char on a mission

I love the colours you chose! I don’t think I’m using Pinterest quite right…I guess more of a reason to get back on it! I love the goodies that come on these stands :)

Divya

Aren’t you so glad they came up with Pinterest? I’ve become really crafty myself since I started using the site. It’s mind-boggling how much inspiration is out there.

These cake stands sound like a great way to make interesting props for the blog. I really love the eye-catching colours you used. Can’t wait for the cupcake recipe!

Dayanna

Oh I love how these turned out – so lovely! The Orange one is so funky looking!

Alyssa Monique (payfitnessforward)

Wow this is so cool! I made one, once before out of cardboard and it was….ok…but wasn’t sturdy but I LOVE this idea I never thought of spray painting :-D I cant wait to make cupcakes for Thanksgiving and Christmas and make me own stands! Thanks xoxo

Rory

What a great idea!
You are so creative, and those cake-stands ARE wayyy too expensive!

TeenyLittleSuperChef

Dude, this post rocks. Just the other day I was at TJ Maxx looking for a cake stand and was totally unimpressed with the crap that I found. And there was no way I was spending $50 on the one I really liked at Crate and Barrel. As fate would have it, I walked out of both stores empty handed. Now I know I was meant to make my own. Thanks for the idea and the tutorial. I’ll let you know how mine turns out. Any ideas for making a cupcake tree? That might be next on my DIY list.

Oh heck ya, you could totally make a cupcake tree. You’d just need similar cups all the way up…

katie @KatieDid

These are gorgeous I really love the colors you chose! Can’t wait to see them filled with goodies!

Lou

Oh, I LOVE this idea (I’m a thrift store addict too, which will help!) They would be great gifts… something so special about receiving something that has been made for you :) Thanks for sharing, I’m inspired!

Jo (livingmintgreen)

This is wonderful! I’m going to make one this weekend!

Brilliant idea! I’ve been wanting a cake stand for a while so maybe I will just make my very own! :) Love the orange

Jenn @ Peas and Crayons

isnt pinterest the greatest?! I’ve had this on my to-do list forever b/c helloooooo free cake stand!!!! =) Yours came out SO AWESOME! love the pop of color!

Samantha

This is SUCH a great idea. Cake stands are so expensive! I will definitely be giving this a try.

leslie

Omg..I totally love them….I am sooooo not a craft person, but I think I might even be able to do these!

Alanna

Have you tried a three tier one yet? That would be so cool! Spray paint it green and make mini cupcakes that look like christmas ornaments.

Simone (Simple Healthy Homemade)

Wow Leanne, that’s like the coolest idea ever :) And love the crazy colors one can use! No more settling for what the store buyer thought is good :) I will have to try that!

Irene @ H.V.R.

Great idea! I like the part you use the books, very innovative. I would sure love to see more of your blogs.

Cara

I am so in love with this post, I could just kiss it! :) Brilliant, Leanne. I cannot wait to make my own!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty

So awesome! They would be a fantastic Christmas gift! Especially with a cake on them!

michelle

I LOVE this!! Your plates look so professional. These would make great Christmas gifts.

Molly @ Toffee Bits and Chocolate Chips

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!! Such a fabulous idea and I looove pinterest too!

Sally

I love this idea so much that I am sorely tempted to run out to Home Depot right this minute. So much fun!!

Angela @ Vegangela.com

WOW! These look amazing and I love the colors you chose! Very cool indeed!

Joy

I love love pinterest. The cake stands look great. What is your pinterst? I would love to follow you.

My pinterest is be_healthful :)

Rita

Do u have to use the eepoxy

I’m not sure, Rita. I’m sure you could use another glue, I just wanted to make sure they stuck together really well!

Kathryn

Beautiful work. Are the paints food safe?

Thanks,
Kathryn

Hi Kathryn – the paints are not food safe. I always use doilies on them. Super fun to make and serve on. I get compliments about them ALL the time!

Sukie

Thanks I will be using this to make my mother-in-law some stands for Yule gifts! Now I must go in search of plates!