Chocolate Hemp Runners Repair Bars

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on April 14, 2011

30 days ago I realized that having one huge fitness goal was dragging me down mentally and discouraging me from keeping up with my training.

So, I opted for setting smaller goals so I could be encouraged by my ongoing progress.

Let’s see how I did…

1. Run for a consecutive 15 minutes without pain in my knee

Check.

1. Increase treadmill pace from 5.2mph to 5.5mph with no knee pain

Semi-check. Treadmills suck, so I’ve measured the time it takes me to get 210m – the length of one lap on the track instead. I’ve been able to cut the time from 75 seconds to 70 seconds.

1. Complete spin class at an average heart rate of 155bpm

Check. I just did this yesterday!

1. Increase swim pace from 28 seconds to 25 seconds per 25 meters

Semi-check. The weekend after posting these goals I managed to hit my target but haven’t been able to get back to it since. I remember telling myself before I started the lap “You are amazing, you’re a goddess, you can do anything you put your mind to, you’re strong willed, focused and determined to do this. GO!” It was the best darn swim I’ve ever had.

1. Increase weights from 10lbs to 12.5lbs when completing upper body exercises.

Check. I switched about 2 weeks ago.

Mission accomplished.

This stetting smaller goals thing is fantastic!

I feel much more accomplished than I did last month.

Okay, on to my next set of 30 day goals…

1. Complete my first 10k race in May
  2. Build a new strength training plan – focus on heavy core + hip work
  3. Try wall climbing – could be a great alternative to building leg strength
  4. Get back to swim pace of 25 seconds per 25 meters
  5. Complete a solid 45 minute time trial at 90rpm with resistance of ~7

Totally doable.

To kick off my next 4 week program [added to my workouts page along with a bunch of awesome swim + spin workouts], I thought I’d whip up a batch of high protein, sugar free bars for clean + quick fueling after my workouts.

Dare I say I like them more than the original Runner’s Repair cookie? *gasp!*

[print_this]

Chocolate Hemp Runners Repair Bars

Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free, Grain free

These little morsels are fantastic as a take along in your gym bag and have a similar consistency as a soft cookie. They’re quick to make, portable, sugar free, tasty, and will save you loads of money on store bought energy bars.

• 1/2 cup cocoalmond mania butter*
  • 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup Manitoba Harvest hemp protein powder*
  • 1/4 cup hemp seeds
  • 1 tbsp cacao powder
  • 1 tbsp ground chia seed
  • 2 pinches of white stevia powder*

*note – You can replace the cocoalmond nut butter with straight up almond butter. As well, you can replace the hemp protein powder with a powder of your choice. If you don’t like stevia, you can replace it with 2 tbsp brown sugar.

1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
  2. Add all ingredients to a medium sized bowl and stir until mixed. The dough should be pretty dense.
  3. Pick up about a 1/4 cup of dough in your hand and shape into a bar. Place the bar on the prepare cookie sheet and repeat with remaining dough.
  4. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean [mine were perfect at 15 minutes].
  5. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.

Makes 12 bars.

2 bars = 10g protein and 5g fiber, Horrah!

[/print_this]

What are your fitness goals?

Do you set yourself up with small, or big goals?

What’s the biggest thing you’ve ever accomplished or are most proud of?

Cait @ Beyond Bananas

Congrats on accomplishing your goals! Keep working hard.. you are awesome!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey

I really haven’t made any fitness goals for a while. But, in the next year I want to do 2 more half marathons. I also want to continue strength training!

Good for you, Chelsey! I can only imagine how challenging a half marathon is. I didn’t know you’d done them before!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)

Leanne, these look amazing!

Congrats on your goals, for setting and accomplishing!! them :)

Congrats on accomplishing your goals!!! It feels so good to feel like that :) :) :) Good luck with your next set of goals-I’m sure you’ll rock!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog)

I like how chewy the bars look!

I set all sorts of sized goals; even the little ones feel great to accomplish!

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie)

I love how you’ve set up little goals to help you achieve larger goals. I like doing that with my weight training. Lifting a little bit more each time in order to get stronger. I love those repair bars, delicious :D

Faith @ lovelyascharged

I have a love/hate relationship with running, so sometimes this dream doesn’t seem too realistic, but I would love to run a marathon one day. Maybe in the meantime I should just start out with a 5k ;)

I have a love hate relationship with it too. I hate the first 10 minutes, but love the rest. A 5k is a perfect starting point!

kate@ahealthypassion

I love these little bars im always looking for a way to get more hemp in my life!

Callie {Rawxy}

I love these bars! I just made hemp hearts last night (essentially bar + cookie cutter, ha) and they are, well, not as pretty as yours (at all)!

I bet you used a heart shaped cookie cutter… and if you did… yours are definitely cuter!

jennifer

thanks for sharing your fitness goals – i now feel motivated to set my own ;) and congrats on reaching yours!

Thanks Jennifer!

Jess@atasteofconfidence

Great job with your goals!

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat

Better than the original? Really? Then I must try them, because we love your originals!

Ya, really! I was surprised too! They’re denser, smaller… but more filling. You’ll have to give them a try and let me know how you like them!

Julie Bates

Great goals! You are totally inspiring me to set some goals of my own, I’ve been bad about that lately…

Good luck on your first 10k! Look out, you will get addicted to racing… After my first 10k I signed up for every race I could – from 5 miles to 50k. Have fun with it!!

Nina (SLO Foodie)

When is your 10k race? That’s a great goal to have. I started running consistently about 2 months ago so my current fitness goal is to run a 5k within the next few months. Those repair bars look like a fantastic incentive to go for a run right now :)

Parsley Sage

You know…I’m not really a goal kind of girl. I’m a little too laid back for fitness goals I think. But this doesn’t mean I’m not committed to training. It’s usually just maintenance tho. Spinning three times a week. At least one 5K a month (they’re crazy with the 5K’s in Cayman.) Salsa on Tuesday nights. It totally counts!

That being said, I’ve just signed up to do a 1 mile sea swim on June 18th. My first :) I’ll need LOADS of these repair bars. Thanks for sharing!

Sam

Setting smaller goals is a great idea! You get to accomplish even more things :) Congrats on meeting your goals! Right now my goal is completing the C25K program. I am on week 4!
Those bars look so delicious, i must make them asap! mmm chocolate, hemp, and almonds! drool.

(what runs) Lori

Love it, of course. You have the best recipes. I love how simple they are too. ;)

yay to great workouts and increasing weights. Sounds like you’re doing everything right!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen

Better than the original – I’m in!

Angela FRS

Those look great–I am going to make these this weekend for my afternoon work snacks.

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies)

i use big goals AND small goals!! and the small goals lead up to those big ones!
ahhh I love these bars!! as a runner.. Im always looking for great recovery bars!!! awesome!!

Firefly

Yummy bars :) I too do much better with small goals than with big ones.

Jen

These are yummy – made some in mini muffin tins and added some dates. Perfect snack between getting home and dinner, or a bite right after bootcamp. Thanks for the recipe!

Added dates? Were they cut up, or pureed? I was thinking about making another batch this weekend, I’ll have to give dates a go!

Jen

I just cut them up – I bought a condensed bar of dates at Superstore which is easy to chop up. I should try pureeing them too…sounds good.

that sounds amazing! I’m making a layered version of these bars this weekend. I’ll add a date layer and see how it goes! Thanks for the idea, Jen!

Caroline

Hi,
I was wondering where I could store these and for how long?
They are very good, thanks :)

Hi Caroline – it’s best to keep them in the fridge, in an air-tight container, for up to a week. That, or I like to keep them in the freezer. They’ll keep for a couple of months that way. Glad you liked them!