Coconut Muffin Tops

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on March 22, 2011

It’s time that I explain why I LOVE coconut and use it in so many of my recipes.

I wasn’t always a coconut lover. In fact I thought it was bad for you! But while studying nutrition I quickly learned that if there’s one thing we could all benefit from eating, it’s coconut [and avocado, but that's for another day].

I was thinking about writing a love letter to coconut, but I settled on a simple 10 reasons why list. Maybe I’ll save the love letter for avocado :P

Without further adieu…

10 reasons why I love coconut [and why you should too]

1. It’s very stable and will not become rancid when exposed to light, air or high temperatures.
  2. It’s medium chain triglycerides [made up of 50% lauric acid] are antibacterial, antiviral and antiprotozoal [aka helps to fight parasites].
  3. It strengthens my immune system. The lauric acid in coconut is converted in our body to help destroy lipid coated viruses.
  4. It increases my metabolic rate so I can burn calories quicker and more efficiently.
  5. The saturated fat in coconut keeps my heart healthy and happy.
  6. It supports my thyroid functions and in turn strengthens my metabolism.
  7. It works great as a moisturizer for lips, feet, dry hands, face and doubles as a great massage oil!
  8. I’m a protein type so coconut is a great way to get my fats on!
  9. I love using it as a replacement for butter, margarine, and vegetable oils in recipes.
  10. It makes for a great snack for my long training sessions, giving me immediate energy when I need it most. [our body processes coconut like a carbohydrate so it can be used for energy instantly!]

Some tips:

• Coconut oil melts at 76F so its best to keep in your pantry.
  • When purchasing coconut oil, make sure you look for extra virgin, non-hydrogenated, cold pressed oil with a light coconut smell.
  • Trans fat in your coconut oil means that it’s been processed! blah!
  • Look for shredded coconut that’s unsweetened and sulfur free.

These muffin tops are a great way to get in loads of fiber and coconut for the day! They’re great on their own or sprinkled over top of some fresh fruit.

Over the weekend we heated them in the microwave for a couple of seconds and nearly died they were so good!

[print_this]

Coconut Muffin Tops

Gluten free, Dairy free, Yeast free

These muffin tops are soft like a muffin but in a cookie-like shape. Coconut not only tastes fantastic but it also increases your fat burning furnace to actually help you shed unwanted pounds.

• 3 whole eggs
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened long shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup dried apricots, diced into bite sized pieces
  • 1/4 cup coconut sugar – aka palm sugar
  • 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder

1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
  2. Whisk all wet ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
  3. In a larger bowl, combine dry ingredients making sure to coat each apricot piece with flour. Once mixed, add wet ingredients to dry and stir until just incorporated.
  4. Spoon mixture onto prepared cookie sheet leaving 1 inch in between each muffin top.
  5. Bake in the oven for 17-20 minutes [mine took 18 minutes] or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
  6. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack for 10 minutes.

Makes 10 muffin tops.

Nutrition stats [1 muffin top]: calories 182; fat 13g; carbohydrates 17g; dietary fiber 7g; sugars 6g; protein 6g

[/print_this]

Do you do coconut?

If yes – what’s your favorite way to enjoy it? This is my favorite way with coconut butter drizzled over top.

If no – how come?

Tara @The Game of life

I never knew that coconut was so good for you!! Is coconut good for you too? I really don’t like coconut, but I have had it in years so maybe I will try it again! I just know I was at a Wedding, and I took a huge bite of the cake and there was coconut on it and it was nastyyy!

It’s fantastic for your health. Maybe you didn’t have coconut in the right way. A have a lot of clients that don’t like shredded coconut but love coconut oil and coconut butter. I say, give it another shot!!

Vicky

OMG! I have all the ingredients :) I’m making this one tonight for sure! I was looking for new breakfast ideas. This will be awesome for breakfast or snacking on before the gym. I still have the apple pie recipe on my ‘to do’ list but probably won’t have time to hit the stores for extra apples and amaranth before Friday.

I do have a question for you Leanne. What’s the difference between coconut oil and coconut butter? When I look at them in the jars – they look the same (but what do I know). Actually, the product I have is called Coconut Manna so I’m not even sure it’s one or the other LOL!

Thanks again for all the wonderful recipes!

Let me know how it goes, Vicky!
Coconut oil – the oil of coconut. It’s liquid at warmer temperatures but when you see it in the store it will most likely be solid and white. It’s an oil used for frying, baking, etc.
Coconut butter – is the meat of coconut, ground up. Think almond butter… but just coconut butter.

PS: coconut manna sounds like it’s more of a coconut butter than the oil. I’ve never used it personally, but found this information that may help you: http://nutiva.com/articles/some-nutiva-coconut-manna-faqs-answered/

Parsley Sage

These look ace! I’m all about coconut so thanks for spreading the word. Now you’ve given me another reason to climb the tree in yard :)

climb the tree in the yard? So jealous of you right now. haha

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy

I love the simple ingredient list for the muffin tops–they look fabulous! I love coconut and I try to include it in as many meals as possible! ;)

I knew it was good for you, but I had no idea coconut had quite so many benefits. That makes me want to use it that much more. Thanks! :)

G Martin

I don’t know why coconut oil has been so demonized here in the United States, but for years we’ve been told that it was extremely high in bad cholesterol and that we were certain to die of heart attacks if we ate it. Now I’m hearing the opposite–that it is actually very healthy. After being told for years how bad and unhealthy coconut products are, I can’t help but feel confused.

That said, back in the day, there was nothing quite like the smell, or the flavor, of movie theater popcorn when theaters used coconut oil, (which has since been banned for being so unhealthy.)

I’m totally with you, I thought the very same thing! My understanding is that coconut was demonized because of the threat it posed on certain emerging products including corn and soy based oils. I’m not sure whether or not there was science behind these statements (back in the 1950-1960s) but companies really campaigned against coconut oil to push the sales of their products. With the new research that is emerging and the background I have, I can say with 100% confidence that coconut is good for our health (much better than all other oils) and I know many health practitioners, doctors and researches agree! Good luck on trying to add it into your diet :) I find coconut oil is the best way to convert haha

kate@ahealthypassion

I LOVE coconut sooo much!

Sara

I love coconut! Living in Guyana I get it a lot but the bad thing is I have to crack it open and cut it out by hand (not so fun) but all that hard work is well worth it. I eat it raw and the first time I took some in my lunch as my dessert the nurses looked at me like I was crazy. I told them, “It’s good for you and it’s high in fiber!” I’m going to make something with coconut this week! Thanks for the post!

Jessica @ Dishin' About Nutrition

I haven’t cooked with coconut much, but this makes me want to try it out! Thanks

Jamie

This recipe looks amazing… can’t wait to give it a try! Thanks! :)

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie)

Wow so much fiber packed into a small cookie! I honestly have yet to buy coconut because I’ve never been fond of the taste but I think it’s time I warmed up to it again :)

Christi @ Love From The Oven

These look SO good. I’m totally going to have to try them. It seems like coconut is getting so much more attention these days!

Speaking of thyroid – any other foods you suggest? My husband is hypothyroid and been on synthroid for years, but his still bounces around going high and low.

I love the attention it’s getting. The more people that are eating it the better!
#1 nutrient for thyroid (in my experience) is iodine. The best way to increase iodine in his diet is with sea vegetables. If he’s not the adventurous type, Braggs makes a great kelp sprinkle container that you can add to salads, soups, and sauces. It’s not overpowering and wont turn him off the taste.
Also, what I do for my boyfriend is make him chicken teriyaki sushi. You can get sushi wraps and mats at your grocery store. Cook up some brown rice mixed with quinoa and use it as the rice for your sushi. Then add cooked chicken. Roll up and drizzle with teriyaki. He’ll be so excited over the chicken that he wont even taste the seaweed!
Good luck, Christi :)

Jess@HealthyExposures

You amaze me. Seriously. I know that makes me sound like a creeper, but I pretty much want to be your neighbor. I may or may not beg you to share your baked goods with me :P
I LOVE coconut. Always have. I have a hunch it’s because my sister hates it, and it seems we are both at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to food likes and dislikes, haha. Either way, I’m not complaining :] Can’t wait to try these!

I’ve said that to a couple of bloggers too and I’m always worried that they’ll think I’m creepin’ so no judging here haha. I’m always bringing new recipes to my neighbors for taste testing. They’ve never complained! It’s a good way to get them to help you build a deck, fence, or set up your garden with you.
I’m the exact same with my sister. Anything she likes, I hate and vice versa. Is she younger, or older than you? Mine is younger.

Kate @ Diethood.com

Now I’m so glad that I do love coconut! :) Thanks for sharing this information with us.
Your cookies sound delish, as always!

Happy When Not Hungry

These muffin tops look delicious! Tops of muffins are the best part and since these babies are coconut, I definitely need to try. Yum!

Jeff

Do you know if Coconut Milk (as in the tinned variety) would have the same health benefits as having other coconut products? Other than that, I may need to start a separate “Healthful Pursuit Recipes” folder on my computer for all your great looking dishes!

Hey Jeff – as long as it’s the full fat version, you’ll get all the same health benefits minus the fiber. I’d say the milk and oil are about tied with the health benefits they bring to the table so I think you’re fine!

Sophie33

I also love anything coconut! I love your 10 reasons!! I also love coconut flour & coconut oil a lot!

These healthy & tasty coconut & apricot muffins look like real winners!
Yummie all the way!

chelsea

You can NEVER have too much coconut! I’m definitely going to have to try these, but I’ve never seen coconut flower before. Time to do some searching!

This looks amazing! I love when I have all the ingredients! I have really been loving coconut and apricots lately, but I haven’t put the two together yet…yipee! Baking day!!!

Enjoy your baking day Alex! I just love baking days :)

Joy

Ohh that looks great.

Emily @ LIfe On Food

I have had major cravings for coconut lately. These look amazing. They are on the list for this weekend’s recipes. I have never tried muffin tops either. This will be exciting!

I’m glad you’re listening to your cravings. I can’t wait to hear how you like them, Emily!

michelle

I just did a blog today as well on my love (obsession) for anything coconut. Your recipe looks great!

Melissa@EyesBigger

As soon as the title, I knew I had to check this out – I’m a Seinfeld nerd and all I could think of was “top o’ the muffin to you!” and Newman making “problems go away”. Plus, I love coconut. these sound so good (and it really is the best part of a muffin!)

I don’t think I saw that episode! haha

Diane

Leanne, I just tried the recipe tonight and these are incredible! I just found your blog a few days ago and this is the first recipe I’ve had a chance to try. I will definitely be sampling more. Thank you so much for sharing!

That’s great news, Diane! I’m glad you liked them :) I’m going to have to whip up another batch too, they’re one of my favorites. Have a great weekend!

Krissyp

These look great. I too am a coconut avacado lover. My hair seems shinier, skin softer when I eat either of them. I have a recipe for a coconut whole wheat pie crust and I like it better than the traditional buttery crusts. So much flavor! Thanks for sharing this great cookie recipe.

Does the crust recipe use wheat? If it’s gluten free I’d love to check it out!

Katie

I used to not be a lover of coconut, either. But these look fantastic!

Cocoa

Hi Leanne, if I don’t use any dried fruit, is there anything else you can recommend? I’m making this for someone with severe allergies and so I’m afraid the dried fruits I purchase may have cross-contamination problems…. Any suggestion?

For sure, just omit them and the recipe will still be amazing. Enjoy!

Cocoa

Excellent! Thanks for the quick reply!!

Napoleon

This is very interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger. I have joined your rss feed and stay up for in quest of extra of your magnificent post. Also, I have shared your website in my social networks

can acupuncture cure anxiety

This web site really has all of the info I needed concerning this subject
and didn’t know who to ask.

Laurie

I love it whenever people get together and share thoughts.
Great blog, stick with it!

diet

You’re so cool! I do not believe I have read something
like this before. So nice to discover somebody with some genuine thoughts on this issue.
Seriously.. thank you for starting this up.
This site is one thing that’s needed on the
internet, someone with some originality!