My favourite soup has to be the pureed variety. In fact I’ve been known to blend regular soups that many would feel should not be blended, including this weeks Immune-zing soup.
Soup just tastes better to me when it’s been blended. Blended soup is similar to hot vegetable smoothies, and who doesn’t like those?
Okay, maybe it’s weird. But there are health benefits to eating pureed soups, namely, they’re much easier to digest!
Why? Just like the digestion wake up routine I introduced to you a couple of weeks ago, eating ground up foods is softer on your stomach. Think about it. Blended soup is already predigested. It has no big chunks that your body as to breakdown. Just sip, quickly digest, and soak up those easily accessible nutrients!
Sounds pretty easy, doesn’t it?
Well lucky for us, this soup is pretty easy too! (Prepared and served in under 30 minutes)
Recipe #4 in the Winter: A Time of Hibernation series.
Vegan Creamy Carrot Fennel Soup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 4 cups chopped carrots
- 2 fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 clove minced garlic
- 3 cups vegetable broth (preferably homemade)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- In a large soup pot, melt coconut oil on medium-high heat
- Add carrots, fennel, and onion and garlic sauté for 8 minutes or until onions are cooked and carrots are crisp-tender
- Add broth, cover and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes
- Stir in thyme, salt, pepper and milk
- Pour soup into a large blender and process until smooth
Makes 8 cups, or 8-10 servings of creamy delicious soup!