- 500 grams cubed sweet potato – approximately 4 cups
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos/tamari/soya sauce
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 small bunch (15g) fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 small bunch (15g) fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup chickpea/gram flour
- 2 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
- Spread sweet potato onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes until soft. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Keep the oven on.
- In large bowl mix together sweet potato, chickpeas, garlic, tamari/Bragg’s/soya sauce, lemon juice, cumin seed, ground cumin, ground coriander, paprika, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Mash together with a potato masher, fork, hand blender or mixer until everything is well combined and the chunks of sweet potato are broken down nicely.
- Next, add the fresh parsley, coriander (also called cilantro), scallions and red onion. Mix until everything is combined.
- Add in chickpea flour and stir well to combine.
- Rotate mixture with your hands and shape the dough into four large cakes/ patty’s (like a burger). Sprinkle each with sesame seeds and lightly press the seeds into the patties so that they stay on while baking. Rotate the cakes and do it again so that the seeds are on either side.
- Place each patty on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat and bake for 15- 20 minutes. Flip over half way through.
- Serve with hummus, relish, toasted pitta breads, fresh greens, harissa paste (a chilli paste from Morocco)
Spread the love, earn karma points:
Feel free to replace the chickpea flour with any whole grain flour of your choice.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
- Calories: 305
- Calories from Fat: 50
- Total Fat: 5.5
- Saturated Fat: 0.7 g
- Sodium: 981 mg
- Carbs: 54.6 g
- Dietary Fiber: 12.3 g
- Net Carbs: 42.3 g
- Sugars: 13.4 g
- Protein: 12.1 g