- ¾ cup quinoa flour
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons chickpea flour
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons tapioca starch/flour
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground flax seed
- 1 cup cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (from approximately 2 lemons)
- 5 tablespoons avocado oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup water
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a 8×4 loaf pan with parchment paper draping over both sides. Set aside.
- Add dry ingredients to a large bowl. Stir with a fork until mixed. Set aside.
- Add wet ingredients to a medium-sized bowl in the order they are listed. Give it a good stir.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir with a spoon until combined. Allow to sit for 3 minutes.
- Then, pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Transfer to the preheated oven and bake for 45-50 minutes, until top is golden and toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Immediately after taking the cake out of the oven, use the parchment paper flaps on either ends to lift the cake out of the pan. Transfer to a cooling rack, gently sliding the parchment paper out from under the cake. Allow to cool for 60 minutes.
- Transfer the cake to a pretty plate. Combine frosting ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk and then drizzle over the top of the cake. Allow to harden, about 10 minutes. And serve!
Spread the love, earn karma points:
Cane Sugar vs. Coconut Sugar – I used cane sugar for this recipe for a couple of reasons. First, coconut sugar is fairly dark and would have made this cake a caramel color which I did not want. Second, cane sugar is far less expensive and I knew I would have to test this recipe multiple times and didn’t want to use up coconut sugar.
Powdered Sugar – check out this powdered sugar that is less refined
Nutrition Information Per Serving
- Calories: 204
- Calories from Fat: 60
- Total Fat: 6.7
- Saturated Fat: 0.8 g
- Sodium: 148 mg
- Carbs: 34.1 g
- Dietary Fiber: 1.7 g
- Net Carbs: 32.4 g
- Sugars: 24.7 g
- Protein: 2.2 g