- 4 cups freshly made apple juice – approximately 4-6 apples depending on the quality of your juicer
- 5 whole cloves
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole cardamom pods
- 2 Chinese star anise
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- ½ orange, thinly sliced
- Juice apples and place completed juice in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Add cloves, cinnamon sticks, cardamom, anise, ginger and lemon zest.
- Cover and heat on low-medium heat for 20 minutes. The mixture doesn’t need to boil. Just get it warm, up to around 170F or so.
- Add orange slices during the last 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain to remove spices and fruits.
- Serve immediately.
Spread the love, earn karma points:
For a sweet juice use apples such as Gala, red delicious of Macintosh. For a tart juice, use apples such as Granny Smith or Pink Lady.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
- Calories: 128
- Calories from Fat: 3
- Total Fat: 0.3
- Sodium: 7 mg
- Carbs: 31.7 g
- Dietary Fiber: 0.8 g
- Net Carbs: 30.9 g
- Sugars: 29.2 g
- Protein: 0.4 g