- 1 cup raw unsalted sunflower seeds
- 4 cups filtered water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or 2-5 drops alcohol-free stevia
- 1 vanilla bean or 1/8 teaspoon vanilla paste or ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- a nut milk bag
- Place sunflower seeds in a glass container and cover with water. Cover and allow to soak on the counter for 8 hours. Drain water, rinse well and add to your blender along with 4 cups of clean, filtered water.
- Blend water and seeds for 3 minutes. If you have a vitamix, I like starting off on the low setting, then pumping it up to full power for the last 1 minute.
- Once complete, pour seed mixture into a nut milk bag or a new (unused) nylon sock over a large bowl. Gently pulse the seed bag with your hands until all liquid has been strained out. Set pulp aside.
- Rinse out your blender, add the milk back to it, add the maple syrup, vanilla and salt. Blend for 20-30 seconds.
- Pour into a milk jug or juice container and store in the fridge for up to 2-3 days.
Spread the love, earn karma points:
For cereals and baked goods: use the recipe above.
For casseroles and other savory recipes, ditch the maple syrup and vanilla.
For a sugar-free version, you could use a couple of drops of stevia or sweeten with 2-3 medjool dates added to the blender with the vanilla and salt, pureed for 1-2 minutes.
Feel free to add cinnamon, all spice, cardamom or nutmeg for some added awesomeness!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
- Calories: 93
- Calories from Fat: 53
- Total Fat: 5.9
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
- Sodium: 60 mg
- Carbs: 9 g
- Dietary Fiber: 1 g
- Net Carbs: 8 g
- Sugars: 6.2 g
- Protein: 2.4 g