- ¾ cup raw quinoa
- 1½ cups water
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup freshly ground flax seed
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Pinch sea salt
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil, or melted coconut oil, or walnut oil, or… any kind of oil you want, really!
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 granny smith apple, shredded and squeezed to remove juices
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Add quinoa and water to a saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Once complete, remove from the stove, remove lid and allow to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat. Set aside.
- Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl. Then, measure 1½ cups of the cooked quinoa and add to the dry ingredients. Stir to coat, until all quinoa granules are covered in the mixture. Set aside.
- Add all wet ingredients to a small bowl and stir well.
- Pour into bowl with dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine shredded apple and lemon juice. Toss to combine, then fold into the dough.
- One tablespoon at a time, scoop mixture onto prepared baking sheet, leaving a small space between each cookie. They will not spread out, so you can keep the cookies close. Lightly form each cookie, as you’d like them to come out. I flattened them slightly between my palms.
- Combine cinnamon sugar topping in a small bowl and sprinkle over the cookies. Transfer baking sheet to the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the tops begin to crack and turn golden.
- Remove from the oven, let cool on the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack and allowing them to cool for a couple of hours. Because cooked quinoa was used in this recipe, the longer you leave it to cool, the firmer it will become. Leave it be and it will transform!
- These cookies can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Spread the love, earn karma points:
Nutrition Information Per Serving
- Calories: 88
- Calories from Fat: 35
- Total Fat: 3.9
- Saturated Fat: 0.6 g
- Sodium: 15 mg
- Carbs: 10 g
- Dietary Fiber: 2.6 g
- Net Carbs: 7.4 g
- Sugars: 4.9 g
- Protein: 1.9 g