- 1/2 cup (65 grams) coconut flour
- 1/4 cup (35 grams) arrowroot flour/starch
- 3/4 teaspoon (5 grams) baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 gram) gray sea salt or Himalayan rock salt
- 1/2 cup (118ml) water
- 2 tablespoons (20 grams) Vital Proteins Collagen Protein Beef Gelatin
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup (75 grams) xylitol
- 1/3 cup (88 grams) unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml) lemon extract, optional
- Zest from 1 lemon (2 grams), optional
- Preheat oven to 325F and oil an 8-inch cake pan with a small dab of coconut oil. Tear out a sheet of parchment paper, and trace the bottom of the cake pan on the paper. Cut out the circle and place at the bottom of the cake pan. Set aside.
- Add dry ingredients to a bowl and mix gently, either with your stand mixer, a hand mixer or a spoon. Set aside.
- Prepare the gelatin egg by adding water to a small saucepan. Sprinkle with gelatin, sprinkling over the surface of the water. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate small bowl, add wet ingredients, and mix well. Add to dry ingredient bowl and mix for 30 seconds. If the ingredients get a little lumpy, it’s because the coconut oil was hardened slightly from the lemon juice. No worries!
- Once gelatin egg has been sitting for 5 minutes, turn the burner on to low and whisk until water is slightly heated and texture is smooth. Transfer to the main bowl and stir for another 30 seconds, until smooth.
- Transfer cake batter to the prepared cake pan, and smooth with the back of a spoon or spatula. Bake in preheated oven for 33-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Take cake out of the oven and allow to sit in the pan for 30 minutes. Then, flip cake pan over onto a cooling rack, the cake should pop out easily! Allow to cool on the counter until no longer warm, about 2 hours. Transfer to a plate, cover with plastic wrap and allow to chill in your fridge overnight, at least, 12 hours.
- Remove from the fridge 30 minutes to 1-hour before serving. Just before serving, prepare the frosting by flipping chilled can upside down and opening at the bottom. Drain all liquid, leaving you with the thick coconut cream. Add to your high-powered blender and blend on low until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add lemon extract and mix with a spatula. Spoon onto the cake and smooth with a spatula.
Spread the love, earn karma points:
Xylitol: you could use stevia baking blend or another sweetener of your choice, I’m sure. Although I haven’t tested it.
Resting time: it is so, very important that you stay patient with this cake and let it rest following the directions above. When the cake comes out of the oven, it will be gummy. It needs time to work its magic and become just perfect!
Nutrition information: does not include frosting. Click here for frosting nutrition information. Once in page, scroll down.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
- Calories: 167
- Calories from Fat: 123
- Total Fat: 13.7
- Saturated Fat: 12 g
- Sodium: 216 mg
- Carbs: 7.7 g
- Dietary Fiber: 3 g
- Net Carbs: 4.7 g
- Sugars: 1.8 g
- Protein: 3.7 g