- 3 cups water
- 4 black tea bags – I used orange pekoe
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 inch section of fresh ginger or 2 pieces of dehydrated ginger
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 cardamom pods or 1/4 teaspoon powdered cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon aniseed
- 8 x 6 section of cheesecloth, folded over (doubled)
- Lay cheesecloth flat and begin placing ingredients on top. Begin with tea bags, then vanilla bean, ginger, cloves, cardamom, and aniseed. If you’re using cardamom powder, sandwich in between 2 teabags to prevent it from dispersing into the mix. Bundle everything into cheesecloth and pinch together. Tie with twine and tie 2 cinnamon sticks with the twine.
- Place water and coconut sugar in a medium sized saucepan, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and put the cheesecloth bag in. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool before pouring it in an air tight container [mason jars works well] and placing in the fridge to cool.
- To enjoy as a iced chai latte, combine 1 part concentrate to 3 parts non-dairy milk. Serve on ice.
Spread the love, earn karma points:
Nutrition Information Per Serving
- Calories: 60
- Sodium: 4 mg
- Carbs: 16 g
- Sugars: 16 g