- 1 cup dairy-free plain yogurt
- ¼ cup water
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- dash gluten-free hot sauce
- 1 kg. chicken – thighs, whole, wings, drumsticks, I chose wings
- 1¼ cup chickpea flour
- ½ cup tapioca starch/flour
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup water
- 1 liter avocado oil (smoke point 500) or palm oil (smoke point of 445) or safflower oil (smoke point of 500)
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk to combine. Drop chicken pieces in marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours.
- After chicken has marinated, remove from fridge and set aside.
- Combine batter ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Add your choice of oil (various smoke points listed) to a medium saucepan an until at least 2-inches of oil are at the bottom of the pan. Heat on medium-high heat for 5 minutes. To test the temperature, you can throw in a thinly shaved vegetable (I used a slice of raw sweet potato). The potato should lightly brown and crisp in 2 minutes. The oil should be about 375F.
- One by one, lightly shake the marinade off of one piece of chicken. Drench it in the batter, then transfer to the hot oil. Cook for 8-10 minutes per side, depending on size. The internal temperature of the chicken has to reach 165F to be safe.
- Repeat with remaining chicken pieces. Depending on the size of your pot, you can cook multiple pieces at the same time.
Spread the love, earn karma points:
Nutrition Information Per Serving
- Calories: 497
- Calories from Fat: 187
- Total Fat: 20.8
- Saturated Fat: 4.5 g
- Cholesterol: 96> mg
- Sodium: 680 mg
- Carbs: 35.6 g
- Dietary Fiber: 11 g
- Net Carbs: 24.6 g
- Sugars: 4.1 g
- Protein: 44 g