- 1 19oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil + 1 tablespoon for sauteing
- 2 tablespoon cashini butter – see note
- 1 tablespoon onion soup mix
- 1/2 teaspoon herbamare
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup non-dairy mozzarella cheese – I used Daiya
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F and find yourself a 3 cup casserole dish. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a cast iron pan [or other frying pan] on medium heat. Add sliced onions and garlic. Saute for 10 minutes making sure to toss every couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients except cheese, in a food processor or blender.
- Once onions + garlic are done, drop into food processor/blender and process until smooth.
- Scoop hummus into prepared casserole dish and sprinkle cheese on top. Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 15 minutes before setting to a low broil and broiling for 4-5 minutes. Be sure to watch the top so that it doesn’t burn!
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 20 minutes.
Spread the love, earn karma points:
I’m sure any type of nut butter would work. I used cashews because they’re sweeter. Toasted sesame butter would be really good too!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
- Calories: 133
- Calories from Fat: 61
- Total Fat: 6.8
- Saturated Fat: 0.9 g
- Sodium: 304 mg
- Carbs: 15.1 g
- Dietary Fiber: 3 g
- Net Carbs: 12.1 g
- Sugars: 0.9 g
- Protein: 3.6 g