- 1 small potato, quartered
- 1/2 tomato, quartered
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan rock salt
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Earth Balance or ghee – see note
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, diced
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chat masala
- 2 tablespoon cashew paste – see note
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Steam the potato for 15 minutes, or until crisp-tender. When complete, set aside with fresh tomato.
- Add vegetable oil, onion, and salt to a preheated frying pan on medium-high heat and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add spinach and cook until just wilted. Remove from heat and blend with water until smooth. Set aside.
- Place earth balance, cumin seeds, ginger, and garlic in a pre-heated frying pan on medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add spinach puree and remaining masalas, coriander, cumin, cashew paste and water.
- Add tomato and potato and cook until just heated.
- Serve on a bed of rice.
Spread the love, earn karma points:
If ghee is used, recipe is no longer vegan
To make cashew paste, grind 1 tablespoon raw cashews in a coffee grinder. Drop into a bowl and add 1 tablespoon water.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
- Calories: 450
- Calories from Fat: 176
- Total Fat: 19.5
- Saturated Fat: 4.4 g
- Sodium: 483 mg
- Carbs: 61.1 g
- Dietary Fiber: 4.2 g
- Net Carbs: 56.9 g
- Sugars: 2.9 g
- Protein: 9 g