I’m in shock when the women from my spin class tell me that they don’t eat something before coming to the class.
After 5 minutes on a bike; if I haven’t eaten anything, I’m falling off of it.
Without breakfast I get light headed, sleepy, impatient, confused [deer in headlights look – one day I’ll take a picture of myself with no breakfast and you’ll know what I mean], and my stomach does a lot of talking. Without breakfast I’m absolutely useless. But it wasn’t always like this.
5 years ago, I’d start my day off with a tall glass of leftover Slurpee [I lived across the street from a 7-11 and subjected myself to far too many Slurpees]. When I got to work I went to the vending machine and got myself a cookie. That was my morning. 2 hours into my shift I was light headed, sleepy, impatient, confused, and my stomach was spinning. Huh…
At the time this felt normal to me. I thought people just got tired. I thought it was completely normal for my brain to feel like it was in constant fog. Boy was I wrong.
Breakfast was the best thing that I think I’ve ever done for ME. My day now begins with a smoothie [lately it’s been Green Monsters with extra berries and hemp protein powder], then I head to the gym. When I get to work I always have 1/2 cup granola with 2 tablespoon of chia seeds soaked overnight in 1 cup of Almond Milk.
I no longer feel light headed, I have enough energy to push me through the day, I don’t live in a fog, and my tummy is always satisfied and happy.
The best time my tummy has had in awhile was yesterday morning when I made THIS breakfast!
Hold on to your pants everyone. This breakfast will change your life!
- 1½ cup water
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup Bob’s Red Mill Organic Kasha [roasted buckwheat kernels], alternatively you could use whole buckwheat, rice, or millet
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup fruit juice sweetened strawberry jam, pureed strawberries would work too!
- 2 tablespoon ground chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Bring water and ½ cup of coconut milk to a boil in a medium size saucepan
- Once boiled, add kasha and cook for 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally. If there is liquid leftover, strain before putting it back in the pot
- Meanwhile, in a blender, combine ¾ cup coconut milk, strawberry jam, chia seeds, and vanilla
- Blend until pureed completely
- Combine strawberry cream sauce with cooked kasha
- Serve and enjoy!
View Nutritional Information (once on page scroll down)
What’s your favourite breakfast? Do you find that you skip breakfast often? Why?