Grain-free Berry Granola (Paleo & Vegan)

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on January 19, 2014

Grain-free Berry Granola #paleo #vegan #glutenfree #recipe Grain-free granola packed with crisp berries, hemp hearts and coconut. Sweetened with a combination of maple syrup and Energy28 -  to deliver supplemental natural energy from whole-food and natural sources. This granola contains 200 calories per bowl and over 7 grams of protein!

I switched to savory breakfasts a couple of months ago and am shocked at just how steady my energy is throughout the day.

I don’t get hungry every 2 hours, I don’t crave sweets, and I eat only what I need instead of overeating my way through the day.

Grain-free Berry Granola #paleo #vegan #glutenfree #recipe

I’ve been using these Natural Vitality Energy28 packets to assist in maintaining my energy right through the afternoon, past my daily 90-minute hot yoga session and beyond.

Last week, I thought it would be fun to combine my afternoon snack (a handful of nuts and seeds soaked in almond milk) with Natural Vitality’s Energy28…

Grain-free Berry Granola #paleo #vegan #glutenfree #recipe

Next thing I knew, I was bustin’ out a grain-free granola recipe that’s perfect for all the ladies out there that lead an active lifestyle and need to boost their afternoon energy.

Quote-Line2

Get the recipe for my gluten-free, grain-free, vegan & paleo Grain-free Berry Granola.

Quote-Line2

If you don’t have Energy28 at home, feel free to replace it with maple syrup or another liquid sweetener of your choice.

Recipe ingredient list (just in case you’re not sure what’s what)

Grain-free Berry Granola #paleo #vegan #glutenfree #recipe

To reduce the amount of sugar in the granola (every little effort to reduce your overall sugar intake will help in maintaining balanced sugar levels), I dehydrated the berries.

There are oven and dehydrator instructions in the recipe for you ;)

And… dehydrated berries are ah-mazing! You could use dried fruit… but dehydrated = so much better!

Grain-free Berry Granola #paleo #vegan #glutenfree #recipe

Also, because we’re an active bunch and I know, like me, you may often experience muscle aches and pains after a good, solid workout…

I’ve been experimenting with a flavored muscle aide mineral water recipe for us!

This water is packed with the minerals your body needs to relax each and every single muscle. I like drinking it before a yin yoga class (where we hold stretches for long periods of time) to encourage my muscles to let go and stretch out nicely.

Does the trick every time!

Muscle Aide Mineral Water

5.0 from 1 reviews

Muscle Aide Mineral Water
Author:
Allergens: Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined sugar-free, Yeast-free, Grain-free, Nut-free, Egg-free
Prep time:
Total time:
Serves: 1

This recipe is a natural approach to flavor-infused mineral water. Not only is this drink free of artificial colors or flavors, the Natural CALM used in this recipe, will aide in muscle recovery.
  • 16 oz. (2 cups) filtered water
  • ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
  • 10 blueberries
  • 1 packet Natural CALM
Instructions
  1. Add the water to a glass jar or jug. Add pomegranate seeds and blueberries. Cover and refrigerate overnight (for the flavors to develop)
  2. When ready to enjoy, drop in a packet of Natural CALM and stir to mix. Enjoy!

Muscle Aide Mineral Water

I’ve always been a yogi but also enjoy running marathons – there are marathons and half-marathons all over the place with some really fun ones (like the springtime Dallas Rock N Roll Marathon)… but for now with all of this snow, it’s all about the hot yoga (which has really helped my energy levels, too)

Do you struggle with maintaining energy throughout the day?
Do you find that this energy struggle impacts how you live out your daily life?
What physical activities do you treat your body to daily?

Tina Muir

Wow! That granola looks delightful! Thank you so much for the idea! I love crunchy things and have been missing them as gluten free! I can now look forward to a bowl after training! Thank you!

This is ultra crunchy and SO delicious. I can’t wait to hear how you like it, Tina!

Danny Lake

Thanks a bunch for sharing the muscle aide mineral water recipe. It sounds like exactly what I need to sort out my sore body! =)

It’s soooo good. If the fruits sit in the water overnight, the whole thing tastes like berries!

barb

are hemp hearts same as hemp seeds. I’m not familiar with hemp hearts. Love your blog

hemp hearts are the insides of hemp seeds (without the shell) I’ve created a list in the post, about half-way-down, that links out to images of the products used in the recipes so that you can see what I mean :)

Nikki @ The Road to Less Cake

I’ve got to try dehydrating my berries!

Gina

Leanne, this grain-free granola recipe looks wonderful! Thank you for sharing. I just thought I should mention that dehydrated fruit actually contains more sugar than fresh fruit and not less. Of course, no sugar is being added to the fruit when it is dehydrated, however, the natural sugars in the fruits will be concentrated when the fruit is dried. This is because most of the weight and volume in fruit is normally made up of water. Drying out will reduce the water which will increase the amount of sugar per volume (hundred grams). Because you are using berries (which typically have the lowest levels of sugar in the fruit world), the sugar content should still remain relatively low as long as you don’t overdue them. :o)

Brandy @ A Mindful Mantra

WOWZA, this granola looks amazing. I’m always looking for new, creative granola ideas. We just got a dehydrator, so I really have no excuse for not making this! Also, thanks for the mineral water recipe! I get the worst restless legs, and I’m thinking that this might help!

Hannah

Hi Leanne! Love the granola recipe- I can’t wait to try it out! I have a question about your workouts lately, which goes along with the series you’ve been doing on hormones and regulating your cycle. I currently am in the same boat, with what I’ve been told is “stress-induced hypothalamic amennorhea.” My endo told me to reduce the frequency and intensity of my exercise, but that of course has been a mental struggle for me! Were you given the same advice? Or how have you adjusted your workouts so that they are less stressful, or have you found that proper fueling and recovery is more important? Thanks!

Danielle @LabelsAreForTinCans

What a good idea to drink natural calm before yoga! I may just have to try that. I usually have it before bed.

Arielle

I thought the same thing! I always have it before bed, and never considered drinking it at any other time of day! I’ll have to try it after a workout and see how it helps with recovery.

Jessica

This is awesome!! How much approximately is a serving?

About 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup ;) 16 servings in the whole batch

Arielle

This looks SO yummy! I have a crazy sweet tooth, have problems regulating my energy throughout the day, and have a really hard time if I don’t eat often. I am curious about switching to a savory breakfast, but it doesn’t sound very appealing to me. Did you have this problem? What do you suggest?

Arielle

I should also mention that I’m allergic to eggs…if I could eat them, the savory transition would be easier. Alas, food allergies win that round. (I have been craving eggs for 2 years! If I didn’t know how sick they make me, I’d break down and eat one.)

Hi Arielle – it wasn’t appealing to me either, but then I started to really enjoy it! You should check out my Instagram page to see all the breakfasts I have going on. The change was SO great!

Jessica

This recipe looks awesome! I can’t wait to try it. I also want to know what you do for your savory breakfasts. Eating sweet in the morning makes me nauseous. But I’m struggling to find vegan options. What do you eat?

Hey Jessica! Have you checked out my Instagram page? A lot of the breakfast I post are savory… I’ve done a couple of vegan ones, too. I have a new vegan savory breakfast recipe coming tomorrow on the blog!

Lesley

The recipe looks great. Why do homemade dehydrated berries have less sugar than store bought. I’ve been avoiding buying the dried fruits because of the high sugar they’re suppose to have. If it makes a difference I’ll definitely dry the berries myself.

Hey Lesley – when you dry berries in the oven, they get crunchy rather than chewy. The chewy dehydrated fruits have higher sugars. Also, most dried fruits have sugars on them… bleh!

Laura

Leanne, would you mind saying a little more about savory breakfasts being beneficial for your energy levels and sugar cravings? It’s an interesting concept that I haven’t heard of before.

Hi Laura! I chat about it a lot on my Instagram page… basically, it just sets your blood sugar right from the beginning instead of spiking it first thing.

paindoesnthurt

Looks delicious! Something for me to try out definitely! if anyone is interested in brownies for a nice compliment to this check it out here and tell me what you all think: http://paindoesnthurt.com/paleo-spicy-brownies/

Stephanie

WOW! This recipe looks amazing! I can’t wait to try it. I’ve been looking for a breakfast recipe recently. Thanks for sharing :))

Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables

I LOVE berries and granola–bookmarking this recipe for when berries are back in season!

Jennifer

Where do you get natural calm?

Hi Jennifer – I receive it directly from Natural Vitality. But you can purchase it here:: http://naturalvitality.com/online-resellers/

Kelly

This looks really good! :) Do you think I could use sunflower seeds in place of the hemp hearts? I have never heard of them…

Thanks

Hey Kelly – hemp hearts/shelled hemp seeds are the same thing. I bet you could use sesame seeds or sunflower seeds!

Kelly

Thanks! This is absolutely delicious! I went and used sunflower and sesame seeds! Thanks for the recipe!

Megan (The Lyons' Share)

I happen to have both Energy28 and Natural Calm at home, so I will definitely be trying these! I’ve only ever taken magnesium right before bed so I’m surprised you take it right before yoga … does it make you tired?

Nope! Doesn’t make me tired at all!

Paleonola

Nice posting. I think its so delicious and healthy. We are provide paleo granola snacks for you.

Hey! I would LOVE to feature your product on Healthful Pursuit. I’ll send ya an email ;)