Healthy Lemonade

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on June 25, 2013

Healthy Lemonade (92)

I got home from Calgary late Sunday night and all I could think about was lemonade.

Not just any lemonade, the (good) homemade stuff. The 10 lemon crushing, finger stinging, water and sugar boiling, lemonade.

And not just a glass of it, I wanted a big ‘ol pitcher of it.

So, Kevin (bless his patient heart) and I went to the store, grabbed a bag of lemons, and squeezed lemons for a good, long time.

We didn’t have a pitcher (because most of our things are packed in boxes at this point) so we used a flower vase and a couple of mason jars.

Best.night.ever.

Healthy Lemonade (71)

To print, email or text this recipe, click here.

4.8 from 5 reviews

Healthy Lemonade
Author:
Allergens: Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free, Nut-free, Egg-free
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 6

Refreshingly light and sugar-reduced lemonade recipe that has all the flavor, with less empty calories than conventional lemonade.
Instructions
  1. Add sugar and 1 cup water to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
  2. Once boiled, remove from heat and add to a glass pitcher.
  3. Add lemon juice and remaining water.
  4. Place in the fridge for 2-3 hours to chill.
  5. Serve with ice cubes.
Notes
To keep vegan: do not use honey
To make the lemonade safe for candida diet: use xylitol

View nutrition information

Healthy Lemonade (92)Lemonade3

Once boiled, remove from heat and add to a glass pitcher.

Lemonade1

Add lemon juice and remaining water.

Place in the fridge for 2-3 hours to chill.

Serve with ice cubes.

Lemonade4

And there you have it, lemonade sans white sugar!

Oh my gosh, I need to make more of this.

Lemonade2

I’m in the mood to make more Summery drinks… and I bet you have a couple up YOUR sleeve!

Do you have a favorite Summer-themed drink that you want healthified?

Explain, link, or share the recipe in the comments below.

Mrs G

Summer?!? Which summer? I honestly cannot remember such a cold summer. All I want to drink is a warm mint tea made with fresh mint from our balcony….

Julie Taylor

It is summer in New Jersey~ this sounds so good! I’m making it today. Thank you!!

Toni

Well, its freezing here in Melb Australia, but I’m still going to make a batch of this tomorrow! Its just what the doctor ordered to help keep the flu bug at bay (and help with the winter sugar/carb cravings!). Very difficult for me to source coconut nectar though and its wickedly expensive so hoping the agave nectar I have will suffice (I suspect it’ll be just fine!). Those lemons were ear-marked for another batch of lemon cauliflower pudding… oh well!

Wendy

Toni from Melbourne, coconut nectar available online at Coconut Magic and please do some research on agave nectar, more research has found it to be a ‘nasty’

This is making me smile because right now, I’m drinking a pitcher of steeped mango tea from David’s and it is to die for! I like to add a bit of lemon to make it a bit more tart but it is so, so refreshing (even today when it’s super rainy outside… GAH will it ever end!?)

Michelle Roebuck

Ahhh… Perfect lemonade! I used to make this for myself when I worked at a small family restaurant – grab a styrofoam cup, dump a sugar packet (or three) in the bottom, add hot water from the coffee maker, swirl, pitch in some lemon slices, poke ‘em a bit to release the juice then dump the whole lot over a cup of ice. Way better than soda from the machine! Then I’d hit up the bread warmer for a loaf of dark honey wheat. And the salad bar for some plain noodles. With butter. Mmm… My, how far we’ve come!

Oh! I showed my mom how wonderful coconut sugar is over fresh cut strawberries and she loved it! Specifically, I pointed out what a small amount you could use (about a tablespoon for a whole container) and how quickly it makes the “syrup” that she loves to have. To me, it also retains more of the lovely strawberry tartness than white sugar does. (Plus, I swear she was using like half a cup of that junk!)

Julie

Simon’s Restaurant in Sarasota, FL makes lemonade using apples as the sweetener. It really is quite delicious. Could you possibly find the ratio of lemons to apples from them? Maybe interview them? Delicious food, too!

Laura

Leanne has a recipe using apple juice: Kevin’s Natural Lemonade. My family loves it!

Nikki @ The Road to Less Cake

I love fresh lemonade. Haven’t made any in ages. This looks perfect.

Dee

Anyone who is chilly should venture over to the East Coast of the U.S. because it is HOT here!

Interestingly enough, I am just reading this post after having made a pitcher of lemonade with lemons after a friend gave me about five, six lemons that were not long for this world. I used the raw organic sugar because that’s what I had but I’ve been meaning to try coconut nectar for sometime, so I think I’ll try that next time.

I bought a pouch containing a Stevia/xylitol blend and I do not like it–it is too reminiscent of Splenda (which I don’t like either) for my tastes, or should I say after-taste? That half finished pouch sits inside the cupboard in anticipation of being made into a sugar scrub at this point.

But being an island girl, the coconut really appeals to me and I’ll try it next time :)

Lind

Make your life easier. Get one of those 2 part hand lemon squeezers. You cut the ends off the lemon and then cut it in half crosswise. Put one half into the squeezer and squeeze, then take out the lemon and turn it over and squeeze again. Repeat. You will get more juice out of each lemon with this gadget! They are sold in stores and by Pampered Chef.

char eats greens

I’m ready for some lemonade for sure!!!!

Maritza

I’ve been obsessed with lemonade, specifically pink lemonade, due to my girls wanting to make it because they saw in their Pinkalicious book. Anyways… I love it. Have you ever tried it with Stevia? what is the difference between Stevia and Xylitol?? flavor wise. I think I have some Xylitol as well, due to some other recipe from the past. BUt I remember not liking something about it..

Paul HUMAN

Summer is here to stay in Manitoba…the garden’s in and this lemonade rocks..never made it with honey before…Thanks for the recipe!!

Lindsay

BEAUTIFUL picture of the lemonade in the mason jars!! Just opening up the webpage made me happy and summery, which is pretty darn impressive since I’m sitting in my office under icky florescent lights. :)

CJ Larson

I am making this as soon as I get home from my trip!!!

EyeCandyPopper

You inspired me! I just made a rhubarb & strawberry pink lemonade! yum! :)

May

I remember the moment when I was little and I realized that you can actually make your own lemonade! That was a delicious time! Thank you for re-sparking the memory!

barbara

Your photos inspired me, but my lemonade is really really brown. I used coconut sugar and that also gave it a bit of a dark sugar flavor. So going to try again for sure. But please help. What did you use? Thank you so much! Love the recipe, though.

Hi Barbara – I used honey for the original recipe so that’s why I was able to get the golden color. Coconut sugar is naturally, much darker. But I’m sure the flavor was just as yummy!

Barbara

Thanks!! I’ll try again for sure with honey. Maybe try lime juice too!

shanee

sounds fantastic with the honey! ill try it tonight.

an for the record the weathers fine here in edmonton, ab, canada

jay Scott

Looks great and refreshing!

Somehow the “Pain” of squeezing all of those lemons makes the lemonade taste that much better!

Good to know how to make it without the white sugar, and as always the pics are spectacular – looks great in those mason jars!

Jay

Guinevere

This lemonade is divine :)