Thank you everyone for participating! Jessica N has been randomly selected as the winner, from this entry. Congratulations Jessica!
When I find a product that I love, I stick to it. Very rarely will I go searching for a replacement to said product if I already have one in my life that makes me happy. This rule especially holds true for gluten-free products.
If there’s one thing that I’ve learned since going gluten-free, it’s that when you find a gluten-free product that’s not chalky, filled with garbage ingredients and doesn’t look strange, you hold on to it. Things like snack bars, cereals, pastas, and crackers may seem simple enough to make gluten-free, but there are a whole lot of companies out there that cut corners, have low standards, or just really bad taste testers!
When DeLallo Foods; an authentic Italian foods company, asked if I’d be open to testing out their new line of gluten-free pastas, I was a bit hesitant. In all of the years I’ve been gluten-free, I’ve only come across one gluten-free pasta that was comparable to the real thing. Why mess with a good thing?
But you’d figure if anyone knows how to make gluten-free pasta it’d be the Italians, right?
I’m happy I trusted my logic on this one. Italians know how to make their pastas, gluten-free or otherwise!
DeLallo Foods has two types of gluten-free pastas:
- Corn & rice: made from a combination of 70% corn flour and 30% rice flour
- Whole grain brown rice: made from 100% whole grain brown rice flour
Having tried both, I liked the corn & rice one better for the taste, but the whole grain brown rice pasta more for the nutrient content. 5 grams of fiber and protein in each serving? Count me in!
With the completion of a successful taste test, I set off to come up with a list of Italian inspired recipes using DeLallo Foods products that were gluten-free, dairy-free, filled with whole foods, and made from the freshest of ingredients. Over the next couple of months, I’ll be sharing some of these creations with you and the DeLallo team, writing about gluten-free living on their blog and having a good time eating all of the yummy products they sent over
What better way to kick off this exciting new project than with a tasty recipe and a giveaway?
First up on the list; and one of my personal favorites, is pasta pizza. I relied on this dish quite heavily when I was living on my own, going to school, and holding my first full-time job, all the while trying to support myself financially at the tender age of 17. Times were difficult, money was tight, and elaborate dinners were not a top priority for me. I used to make the pizza with just 4 ingredients: noodles, egg, cheese and tomato sauce. It was filling, delicious, creative, and cheaper than street pizza!
The recipe has changed over time, but the approach remains the same… pasta crust, loads of toppings, delicious results, and lots of leftovers to boot!
- 8 oz. DeLallo Corn & Rice Spaghetti
- 1 cup grated non-dairy cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 bulb garlic, roasted
- ½ tsp DeLallo Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- o roast the garlic, preheat the oven to 400F.
- Peel away the outer layers of the garlic bulb skin, leaving the skins of the individual cloves intact. Using a knife, cut off ¼-inch off the top of cloves, exposing the individual cloves of garlic.
- Drizzle ½ teaspoon of olive oil on a small piece of aluminum foil and place the garlic head, cut side down, into the oil. Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the cloves feel soft when pressed.
- Remove from the oven, the foil, and set aside to cool.
- Reset oven temperature to 350F and oil a 9″ pie pan, set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare al dente spaghetti according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare your sauteed onions – heat 1 tsp olive oil in a cast iron pan on medium heat. Add onions. Allow to cook for 10 minutes, until golden.
- To assemble the pasta crust, add cooked spaghetti, cheese, beaten egg, smashed roasted garlic cloves, and sea salt in a large bowl.
- Press mixture into prepared pie pan.
- Top crust with basil sauce, sauteed onions, basil leaves, sun dried tomatoes and cheese.
- Cover top and cook in the oven for 30 minutes, until egg has set. Remove foil and cook for another 5 minutes, until cheese is slightly golden.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes, then carefully remove from the pan, or serve as is.
Roasting the garlic for the pasta crust is a must. It’s easy to do, too. Just cut off the tops of the individual cloves, drop it in some oil, and bake it while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
While the garlic is roasting, you’ll have more than enough time to cook your pasta, saute the onions and prepare the crust.
Begin with the beaten egg in a large bowl, add the cheese, cooked pasta and garlic, once it’s ready.
If you don’t have a food scale, 8 ounces of pasta is about a handful. Stir it all together…
And place in your prepared pie pan.
Now the fun begins… load up your toppings! Pasta sauce, sauteed onions, basil, sun dried tomatoes, cheese, get creative!
Wrap in foil, bake and brace yourself for one tasty gluten-free Italian-inspired dinner!
I was so impressed with the DeLallo gluten-free line, and even more so by the Italian Gift Collection package they sent alongside their pastas. The basket was filled with sauces, vinegar, oils, risotto, pastas, tomatoes, you name it. And I couldn’t be happier to be offering you all a chance to win your own so you can have just as much fun as I’ve had creating tasty recipes with these DeLallo products.
Enter for a chance to win a DeLallo prize pack, valued at over $125 and filled with the following tasty DeLallo products:
- Arborio Risotto Rice*
- Basil Pesto*
- Gluten-Free Elbows (Corn & Rice)
- Gluten-Free Fusilli (Corn & Rice)
- Gluten-Free Fusilli (Whole Grain Brown Rice)
- Gluten-Free Shells (Whole Grain Brown Rice)
- Gluten-Free Orzo (Corn & Rice)
- Gluten-Free Penne Rigate (Corn & Rice)
- Gluten-Free Penne Rigate (Whole Grain Brown Rice)
- Gluten-Free Spaghetti (Corn & Rice)
- Gluten-Free Spaghetti (Whole Grain Brown Rice)
- Golden Balsamic-Style Vinegar
- Instant Polenta*
- Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil*
- Pomodoro Fresco Creamy Vodka Pasta Sauce*
- Pomodoro Fresco Marinara Pasta Sauce*
- Pomodoro Fresco Roasted Garlic Pasta Sauce*
- Pomodoro Fresco Spicy Arrabbiata Pasta Sauce*
- Pomodoro Fresco Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce*
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes*
*item is free from gluten ingredients but is not labelled “gluten-free”
1 winner will be selected.
Giveaway is open to US residents only.
How to enter
Receive up to 6 entries by:
- Facebook like DeLallo
- Follow DeLallo on Pinterest
- Tweet it and while you’re there, follow DeLallo! You could say something like: Win a #glutenfree gift basket valued over $125 from @be_healthful and @delallofoods http://ow.ly/cEIyc
- Comment: What Italian recipes would you like to see made gluten-free?
- Sign up on delallo.com to be added to their mailing list for exclusive promotions, offers and giveaways!
- Subscribe to the Healthful Pursuit RSS feed in your RSS reader or by email
Please leave a *separate comment* for each entry!
The giveaway will be open until Sunday August 5 with the winner announced on Monday August 6.
This post was sponsored by DeLallo Foods. All opinions expressed herein are those of Healthful Pursuit Inc. and are not indicative of the positions or opinions of DeLallo Foods. Thank you for supporting the brands that I believe in and choose to feature here.