Fork and Beans: Chocolate Smooches

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on February 13, 2012

With all the planning it took for me to get ready for India; not to mention all the meals I preparing for Kevin for while I was gone, I didn’t get much of a chance to think about Valentine’s Day baking. Thankfully, Cara took one for the team and came up with a deliciously creative treat for us all! I ended up making these a couple of weeks before I left and was surprised at just how easy they were.

If you’re like me and are a bit sensitive to chocolate, you could also make these little chocolate smooches with carob chips. And; as I announced on the weekend, HP readers receive 10% off all carob chip and other gluten-free, vegan baking products from now until March 26. The items can be shipped internationally, so everyone can join in!

Take it away, Cara!

When I was diagnosed with a dairy allergy and gluten intolerance 6 months ago, I couldn’t help but feel completely at a loss.

I had no idea how to bake with my newly introduced diet, let alone know where to turn to figure it all out. So when I came upon Leanne’s blog, I immediately took advantage of her incredible talent in the kitchen, not to mention her impeccable ability to connect with her readers.

I was floored. It meant the world to me that she took the time to carefully respond to all of my emails. So naturally, I have loyalty to this girl. When asked to do this guest post, that was a no-brainer. I am indebted to this woman’s kindness. So in honor of the love given to me from Leanne and in honor of Valentine’s Day, I really wanted to create something special.

One of the things that I try to do over at Fork and Beans is to make food fun, especially for those of us who have dietary restrictions. My mission in life now is to show others that not only can you still eat the foods you once loved, but anything is possible once you allow your creativity to run amuck in the kitchen.

One thing that I have yet to recreate is the childhood favorite Hershey Chocolate Kiss, that is, until now. What better way to say “I love you” to your special someone (even if that someone is yourself!) than to give the gift of chocolate?!

Now, this isn’t the healthiest thing to eat (Hey, they are bite-sized though. Automatic portion control right? Who’s with me?), but my goodness, it just might be the most adorable thing you ever make!

Whoever the recipient is of these homemade Smooches will know that a lot of time and effort went into it, and will be all the more appreciative of each bite. Maybe they might even share a Smooch with you…

[print_this]

Homemade Smooches

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Yeast free, Corn free, Grain free

Give your sweetheart the gift of allergen free smooches for Valentine’s Day!

Yield: 12 smooches

Servings: 12

• 1/2 c. Enjoy Life non-dairy chocolate chips
  • 12 almonds
  • mini funnels *see note
  • silver foil candy wrappers
  • “Happy Valentine’s Day” printed strips

1. Melt the chocolate chips in a double broiler or in a large metal bowl over top a saucepan filled with water to touch the bottom of the bowl. Alternatively, place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and microwave at 30 second increments. Stirring at each stop. This should take about 90 seconds total.
  2. Fill the funnel half way with melted chocolate, making sure the chocolate fills a little into the narrowest part. Place almond in middle, making sure that the chocolate is covering it entirely.
  3. Standing upright, freeze for 10 minutes. Remove smooches from funnel by gently squeezing the chocolate mold out. This should easily slip out. If not, freeze for another minute.
  4. After you cut out Happy Valentine’s Day paper strips (I printed mine out from the computer at size 8 Typewriter font), fold 1/4″ inch of the paper under the smooch, making it stand upright. Proceed to wrap with silver candy foil (you will need to cut the wrap to fit each individual kiss).

Note: Hi, Leanne here! I made these smooches a couple of weekends before I headed to India and didn’t end up purchasing the funnels Cara recommended. Because my funnels were bigger, I had to plug the end so the chocolate wouldn’t spill out. To do this, I ripped off a small piece of plastic wrap, rolled it into a ball and placed it inside the funnel, then took the end of a meat thermometer (whatever pointy thing you have on hand) and pushed it into the neck of the funnel. Don’t push it too hard or you’ll have a very pointy tip!

View nutrition facts

[/print_this]

So while Leanne is exhaling prayers, let us inhale our fair share of homemade smooches this Valentine’s Day.

NamasTASTY.

These are so cute, Cara! I love how you’ve stuck almonds in as well – so much better than Hershey’s kisses! I haven’t tried making my own chocolates before but you’ve made it look really easy so I’m thinking I’ll have to give this a try!

Cara

Thank you so much for that sweet comment, Angela! They really are super simple to make so I say do it :)

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous

Those are so cute and so much more fun than Hershey’s!

Cara

I think everything tends to taste better when they are homemade, don’t they Rebecca? :) Thank you! xo

katie @KatieDid

aww these are too cute! You could put special messages on each little tag too, very fun.

Cara

I love that idea, Katie!!

Laurel

I’ve got a bag of Macadamia nuts that would be just perfect in these. Yum. Once I get over my chocolate hangover that is, and my need to shyly and slowly reacquaint myself with the beast. Luckily the dragon is now asleep in it’s winter lair I’ve got time. Easter kisses with bunny ears. Sound good to you?

Cara

Mmmmmm macadamia nuts! It’s like those awesome chocolates from Hawaii :) But yeah, I’m over chocolate myself–unless it’s raw…which by the way, I am stuffing my face with those Raw Snickers Bars. Bunny ears? Check.

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

These are absolutely adorable and your photo is even more adorable, so fun! I really need to find some time to make more chocolate treats!

By the way these guest posts make me so so excited to find new bloggers. I cannoot wait to check out your blog, Cara! :)

Cara

Hi Beth! Thank you so much for that super sweet comment :) Can’t wait to see your face around Fork and Beans!

ohmygoodness!!! Love this-so cute! Wow. Definitely making this with unsweetened chocolate or carob.

Cara

What a great idea, Alex :) Do you typically just use a bar of unsweetned chocolate?

Lou

As always, Cara, another win! Love the almond surprise in the middle :)

Oh Lou! You are always too kind…thank you!! xo

Cara

Super cute! And thanks for introducing me to a new blog to check out :)

Cara

Yes, please stop by and make yourself comfortable! Loving your name, by the way :)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty

Oh how I wish someone would see this to make them for me for Valentine’s day!! I miss hersey’s kisses bunches!!

Cara

I hope you are then forwarded this to everyone you know, making it very clear that you want these. ha!

Danielle @ Fresh4Five

Man I was stumped when I was trying to make peanut butter blossoms last Christmas, and just stuck a chip in…Couldn’t find a mould! So Genius!

Cara

This always irked me about being dairy free–no options for Kisses. I had to take measures into my own hands :) Thanks, Danielle! xo

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats

Those are so cute! And I bet you could make tons of cool shapes!

Cara

The possibilities are endless, aren’t they Katie? I like where you are going with this though…

Cadry

What a great idea! These little kisses are so cute and look very achievable. I love the possibilities of notes that a person could add. Cara has done it again! :)

Cara

*blushing* Goodness, Cadry–that is so sweet. Thank you :) I wish I had the idea of putting different messages in them when I was making them–I love that.

Jane

These are so adorable! They would be a perfect gift for Valentines Day too!

Cara

Sounds like Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty above is looking for someone to send them to her as a gift :) hehe. Thank you, Jane. They really would be a fun gift for someone! {with their own special messages like Katie stated above}

Cheryl @ eatplayluvblog.com

ADORABLE! We had a V day themed dinner last night! I wish I’d known about these. I made “chocolatey balls of goodness” (my name for raw vegan donut holes) but these are BEYOND adorable. :)

Cara

Rats-a-roons! They would have been the perfect compliment for some chocolately balls of goodness :) I guess you are just gonna have to have another party just to make them. hehe

Tracy

These are adorable! Next time I am in a baking supply store I am going to look for those funnels :)

Cara

You might have to buy them online, Tracy. I looked everywhere for reeeeaaaaaalllllly tiny ones and couldn’t find any anywhere. So when I looked on amazon and one customer wrote a review for these funnels, complaining that they had such a narrow neck that liquid couldn’t really even get through, I thought–those are what I have been looking for! Have fun making them! xo

Richa@HobbyandMore

i used to have tiny funnels in my kiddie kitchen.. i think that set has been passed on through atleast 3 more sets of cousins now. how super fun idea to make these in the funnels! i’ll put some random messages too on my kisses if i make any..:)

Cara

Already have minis? Lucky you! You were destined to make these then, Richa :)

Dustee

I want the right funnel. What brand?

Kumar's Kitchen

such chocolaty cuties….now that we have your perfect recipe….we won’t buy them from the stores anymore
they look so good….will try out soon…thanks for sharing :-)