10 Clean Eating Meals

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on January 20, 2012

Originally, the plan after my 2 day juice fast was to end it with 1 day of smoothies. Halfway through smoothie day 1 (Wednesday), I decided to extend smoothies to 3 days.

Today marks day number 3.

Since Wednesday, I’ve stuck to veggie and fruit smoothies and have slowly added millet, coconut oil, and lentils in hopes of spotting some of my sensitivities.

I’ve learned that:

• Millet is okay for me
  • Lentils may be okay
  • Coconut oil and coconut milk seem to give me gas and bloating every time I eat them. This made me really sad. I think it has something to do with the high amount of fat after juicing. I’ll try them again in a weeks’ time and see what I discover
  • It’s imperative that I take 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar before every meal to help with digestion
  • I overeat, get really excited about eating things, and force myself to eat even when I’m not hungry in fear that I wont get enough nutrients for the day. I need to work through this
  • Drinking smoothies for 3 days is still a cleanse. I was assuming I would start to feel ‘normal’ but I feel like I’m really detoxing now

Some good information here! I’m going to continue with testing out lentils, then move on to rice, black beans, and nuts in the weeks to come.

During these last couple of days, I’ve been collecting a list of plant-based, whole foods recipes that will help me transition from liquids to solids in the smoothest way possible. The key to this transition is to prepare meals that are easy on your digestion, clean, and as simple as possible.

Thanks to foodgawker and pinterest all I had to do was type in the ingredients I was looking for and voila! I was bombarded with pages upon pages of lip-smackingly clean meal ideas.

Of the recipes I discovered this week, here are the 10 that I plan on making over the next couple of weeks…

Chickpea Salad from Cookie and Katie:

Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Greens from The Bitten Word:

Easy Crockpot Lentil Chili from Jeanettes Healthy Living:

Warm Winter Squash Salad from For the Love of Food:

Detox Smoothie from Scaling Back:

Ginger Roasted Parsnips from For the Love of Food:

Raw Sweet Potato Mushroom Sliders from Rawmazing:

Easy Tahini Detox Slaw from Family Kitchen:

Fully Loaded Kale Salad from Lunch Box Bunch:

Sweet Potato Pear Soup from Love and Lemons:

Doesn’t that chickpea salad look amazing? I love me some olives!

Clean eating foods

If you’re wondering what foods are best for a clean, digestive supporting diet, here are a couple:

• Fruits and Veg: Unsweetened whole fruits, fresh squeezed fruit juices, sea vegetables (seaweeds), avocados, olives, and raw, steamed, sauteed, juiced, or roasted vegetables
  • Grains: Brown, red, black and wild rice, millet, amaranth, teff, tapioca, buckwheat, quinoa
  • Veg protein: Split peas, lentils, legumes, bee pollen, spirulina, and blue-green algae
  • Animal protein: Fresh or water-packed, cold-water fish (trout, salmon, halibut, tuna, mackerel, sardines, pike, kippers), wild game (rabbit, pheasant, bison, venison, elk, etc.), lamb, duck, organic chicken and turkey
  • Seeds and Nuts: Hemp, sesame, pumpkin, sunflower seeds, hazelnuts, pecans, almonds, walnuts, cashews, macadamia, pistachios, brazil, nut and seed butters such as almond or tahini
  • Drinks: Filtered water, green, white or herbal tea, mineral water, yerba mate, coconut water
  • Milks: Hemp, rice, nut (such as almond, hazelnut, walnut, etc.) and coconut
  • Condiments: Vinegar, all spices, all herbs, sea salt, black pepper, carob, stone-ground mustard, miso, coconut liquid aminos, wheat-free tamari and nama shoyu
  • Oils: Cold-pressed olive, flax, safflower, sesame, almond, sunflower, walnut, pumpkin, and coconut
  • Sweeteners: Brown rice syrup, stevia, coconut nectar, yacon, whole/fresh fruit, dried fruit

What are your favorite clean eating recipes?

Jeanette

Love all these clean eating tips and recipes – thanks for including one of mine :)! When I feel I need to clean out my system, I eat lots of vegetables, fruit, and legumes.

Mmm these all sound amazing! One of my fave clean recipes is the Detox Salad (Whole Foods re-creation) that I made a long time ago, but still adore. It’s got dulse flakes (from the sea vegetable), broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, raisins and currants in it. The combo doesn’t really sound like it’d taste like greatness but it is! The recipe is at: http://eat-spin-run-repeat.com/recipes-2/?recipe_id=6006118
And about the apple cider vinegar, I’ve got a bottle which I bought for the same purpose that you’re using it for. Do you take a tablespoon of it straight up or mix with water? I tried mixing with water but felt it just prolonged the process of trying to get it down my throat!

I love your detox salad! Big fan. For the apple cider vinegar – just mix 2 tbsp of it with 1-2 tbsp of water and CHUG it down as fast as possible. Don’t think, just do. If that’s too much, 1/2 lemon juiced works well, too.

Aly

Thanks for all these tips! I just wanted to say I find your blog inspirational and incredibly helpful. I’m always excited to try your recipes and your tips help me to better stock my pantry :)

Heather Gragg

When you are tempted to eat foods you don’t necessarily want/need to get in extra nutrients, just remember that lower caloric intakes have been linked to longevity.

That’s a great point, Heather. Thanks!

I love those round ups – I just did a short one today! So many great ideas here. That chickpea salad looks wonderful.

All those recipes look amazing! I’m definately going to save a few of them to try like the chickpea salad, roasted parsnips, and lentil chili! Mmmm :) I was wondering, when you find something that gives you bloating, gas, etc… do you eliminate them from your diet?

By the way, another benefit of the apple cider vinegar with water is that it helps with skin and helps maintain a clear complextion! I’m always so scared to drink it though haha! Have a great day Leanne!

I usually test the foods out a couple of times – preparation, etc. If I find that it’s the food, I’ll take it out for a couple of weeks and then try it again. I completely forgot that it’s good for your complexion. That totally explains why my skin has been looking so fantastic lately. Have a great weekend, Andrea :)

Sonnet

What a great collection of recipes! Thanks for featuring some of mine in the mix! I hope you’ll be able to have coconut products again in a few weeks. I know I would have a really hard time taking these out of my diet completely. Take care! :)

char @ char on a mission

Wow, all those recipes look SO appetizing. I might even have to try a few myself!! I love being able to find whatever crazy combos you want to make anywhere on the web…makes cooking so easy sometimes!

That saddens me for you if you have to cut out coconut products – everybody needs a little coconut in their life!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty

That detox salad is soooooooooo good! I’ve eaten it about 100 times this week!!

Great recipes – thank you!

You’re the one that pointed it out to me! I saw it on your Facebook page and fell in love. I’m not eating sesame right now, but going to try it with sunflower butter. Mmmm!

Magic of Spice

What a beautiful line up! Healthy and delicious is always a great combination :)

The Hippie Health Nut

I’m always amazed by what I learn when I add/subtract foods for a while. I’ve read that coconut products are hard to digest for people with fructose malabsorption, but you wouldn’t have that issue with coconut oil, so that surprises me. I’m interested to keep learning what works for you!

Selina

Thank You so much for all of the recipes and ideas! I am on a journey towards a healthier life. It means undoing a lot of habits and mental addictions. I was raised on “cheap” food. Where the price tag was more important than the nutritional value of the food. I realize that junk food tastes good, but is truly garbage and toxic for your body in a lot of ways. My children have no idea what a rice krispie square is. In a world where clean eating can be a challenge, I’m so happy to have a resource like this! You truly are an inspiration to me and help me tremendously!! I was considering a juice fast to give my digestion a break but I was scared of irritability, headaches, and yes, starving. Then it clicked, and I realized that my body is capable of amazing things, I just need to work out this mind of mine to get it in shape as well. All of this work I’m putting into my body won’t give the best results unless my mind is strong too!
I’m so glad I found your page on facebook, and now I am a follower and fan for life! xoxo

Steph @ DairyFreeOmnivore

I just found your blog through Dairy Free Betty and I am excited to read through it! I have digestive issues and have since the birth of my 2nd daughter. I do know I am completely and utterly lactose intolerant- severely so. I have recently found that sometime in my diet has been setting me off and I am not sure what. My husband and I are working towards a clean eating diet, but with 3 kids it is a bit of a challenge. I have been thinking of doing a detox but I have no idea where to start. Hopefully reading through your blog and recipes will help me with this!

erica

i tried to see the recipe for the tahini slaw, but it keeps going to the page for the chick pea salad. help! i want to eat the picture it looks so good…
thanks

Sorry about that! Just edited it. Thanks for pointing that out, Erica :)

katie @KatieDid

Those are some gorgeous looking recipe there, I think you won’t be feeling too deprived through the rest of this journey. Glad to hear it’s been working and you’re feeling better.

Wow look at all those recipes.

And look at that collage. I know when I see one like that, that it was a good 45 mins, minimum, spent doing it…so thank you :)

Susanne

Thanks for a great blog and lovely recipes! You write:

“I was assuming I would start to feel ‘normal’ but I feel like I’m really detoxing now.”

How does it feel to be detoxing? How do you know?

And is it possible to do a cleanse like you did — 2 days juice, 2 days smoothies — while working or would I have to take time off from work?

Thanks!

Hi Susanne – detoxing is different for everyone. For me, it has been similar to the flu. Just tired, and feeling almost run down, but in a good way. Difficult to explain. I hope that makes sense. I didn’t take any time off work. I just prepared all of my juices and smoothies at home the night before and took them along with me! These last couple of days have been a bit of a challenge. Ideally, I would have liked to end the cleanse on a Saturday and Sunday, but the timing didn’t align this go around. Hope that helps :)

Susanne

Thank you for your answer. It does help. I will postpone my cleanse a couple of weeks to when it’s not so intense at work.

Look forward to following your progress and to more great recipes!

Debbie

Leanne,
I have been reading your blog for quite some time now. I started with it because I loved your recipes and photographs. It is a highlight for me to see what you have posted. Love your honesty and I’m right there in the same digestive issues ring with you.

Thanks for stopping by and saying hello, Debbie. I’m happy to hear you’ve enjoyed following my journey and hope your digestive issues sort themselves out, too! :)

Richa@HobbyandMore

Thats a great collection of recipes.. unfortunately my tummy doesnt like most fruits and veggies raw. so i usually do a quick blanch and make my smoothies and salads.. i am getting my veggies, just slightly cooked.

Cheryl @ eatplayluvblog.com

“I overeat, get really excited about eating things, and force myself to eat even when I’m not hungry in fear that I wont get enough nutrients for the day. I need to work through this.”

I can totally relate. I need to get to a more balanced place where I have a feeling I’ll be having smaller meals that mean I am hungry on a more regular basis instead of stuffed and starving.

A dietitian once offered the analogy of treating yourself like you would your car: if the tank isn’t full, it’s okay to fill up. You don’t have to wait til the empty light is on and things are desperate to fill up. Ditto for eating. I’ll take in more reasonable amounts and I think just feel better if I tackle this!

Love the insight in this post. Thanks for sharing.

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva

Love these recipes….all super healthy and clean. My favourite clean eating recipe is oats with almond milk. I also love protein smoothies, especially after the gym! Keep up the good work and I hope the guts continue to improve :)

gluten free gift

The collection of recipes is gorgeous… and comes at a time where we are looking at each other and saying “we really need some new dishes in our diet!” – your post was great, and it is important to remember that we are all DIFFERENT – what feels good for you, might not for me. I love peppers – but they make me feel lousy – and any bee related product seems to make my mouth itch now…. so off it goes. I’m not above scarfing down a whole box of gf cookies in one sitting, but for the most part – I’m inclined to eat well. I’ve been bored – and this post will make the basis of this week’s shopping list. Thanks Leanne! Claudine

Joye

Leanne ,I love your posts and really enjoy looking at all your new recipes.I also have trouble with coconut milk and oils.But I have trouble with all fats.I do take digestive enzymes and accacia powder,which
I believe saved my life.I do use coconut oil but only once a week .I absolutley love it and its one
of my treats.Cocoa is another treat in quinoa chocolate cake.that also once in a while.No raw vegs or any
lentils,they are so hard for me to digest.But I love to see your recipes and incorporate them for me!
You are an inspiration….thank-you ….good luck with your cleanse! …….

Ann

Leanne
Thank you for sharing your journey and being so open with your readers, it helps those of us who are also working out our digestive problems. I have been diagonsed with ibs and fructose intolerance (which was very disheartening to me since i was a long time vegetarian and fructose is in all healthy and delish produce) and have been making major changes to my diet for the last yr and a half (many to no avail). Anyway, I also had my gall bladder removed over a yr ago and it definitely made fats more difficult for me to process. And for the last few months I have been on an anti-candida diet which has forced me to replace a lot of carbs with fats, mostly coconut (btw, I LOVE your coconut bark recipe, it’s my fav healthy treat!). Coconut products are rather borderline for fructose levels, but as not a lot of research has been done with fructose (the latest USDA data is like 50 yrs old and there doesn’t seem to be anyone working out the sugar content of foods and most coconut products are relatively new on the market). So, I’ve gradually increased my coconut fats and have become much more tolerant of fats (nuts too, which I ate a lot of before but then had to scale back after the gall bladder problems)–I keep my meals/snacks small and frequent thru the day.
It is so helpful to me to hear/read others’ stories and I hope mine can help someone else. Thanks for providing a great forum for Discussion.
I am still trying to find my best diet and all your recipes and info are really helpful.
Thanks again, Ann

Holly

That tahini slaw looks awesome! I’m making some for lunch this week.

I didn’t know apple cider vinegar helped with digestion. I used to drink it to help with a skin problem, but maybe I’ll start doing so again to help with digestion, as I’m having some problems lately.

You probably addressed this in another post, but are you exercising while doing this cleansing? And how many calories are you getting per day? I’ve always wanted to do a detox, and I think I could really use it, but I’m not sure how to balance it with running.

I just made the salad for dinner and it was awesome!
I only exercised the first day, then relaxed for the remainder of the week. I don’t count calories at all, but my guest would be with the juice fast I was having about 1000 per day and 1700 with the smoothies. Hope that helps!

Linda

Loved this post. Will be linking this post in my newest meal plan post. The recipes are great. Thanks for all you do.

nutritiongirl

As someone with IBS, I sympathize with you on your journey! Although I have both diarrhea and constipation, I did want to let you know a few things that help me. My guess on the coconut oil is that the problem is the high amount of fat. Unfortunately I have no choice but to follow a low fat diet, because anything high in fat greatly upsets my stomach (and can cause both diarrhea and constipation). I’m not sure how much coconut oil you were eating at one time, but something like 1 or 2 teaspoons would be my limit in one serving. Also, raw fruits and vegetables absolutely destroy my stomach. I have found that basing my diet on well cooked root veggies, squashes and easy to digest grains (oats, rice and quinoa) really settles my stomach. I also eat small amounts of fruits and other veggies if they are well cooked, some lean protein and a bit of fat. Not to say this is the right diet for you, as everyone’s body is different, but this is definitely what my stomach seems to like best.

Thank you for your suggestions!

nutritiongirl

Your welcome! I’ll be very interested to see where your journey leads you and what you determine works best for your digestion. I’m an aspiring holistic nutritionist myself, so I love all of your recipes!

Jenna M

This road to digestive health recovery is so inspiring for me. I’ve been battling similar problems for years and have spent this past year getting misdiagnosed time and time again. Thanks for keeping me motivated to find out what the real issues are! I think I’m getting close :]

Good luck, Jenna. You should be proud of yourself for pushing forward. I know how frustrating it can be!

TeenyLittleSuperChef

Wow, thanks for all the links to these great recipes. Those mushroom sweet potato burgers look really interesting and fun, and considering I go completely gaga for anything containing those two items, I’m sure I’m going to love em. Also, thanks for the info on what clean eating foods really are. It’s one of those things that most people probably already kinda know, but it’s good to be reminded. As in, Twinkies are not a clean eating food item. In fact, I don’t think Twinkies should be considered a food at all. More like a Hostess lab experiment.

Jeanine

Thanks for posting my recipe! And the others look delicious :)

eating clean for health

I aam truly glad to read this webpage posts which cobtains tons of
helpful data, thanks for providing these statistics.