Zucchini Apple Spice Loaf with Cinnamon Sugar Topping

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on July 2, 2011

So, it all started a couple of weeks ago when I tried to change Angela’s oil-free Zucchini Bread recipe into a gluten-free one.

I think I’m finally convinced that gluten-free just doesn’t do oil-free well [under most circumstances].

I switched gears after the first batch and went in a slightly different direction. Thankfully, it worked!

Another thing I’ve learned? Putting quick bread [or muffin] batter into the oven cold will make mushy bread, and I HATE mushy bread.

So, if you keep your flours in the freezer, make sure to let them sit on the counter for a couple of hours before you make the bread.

Last lesson of gluten-free quick bread – starch is your friend.

Although I didn’t use starch for my Carrot Cake Loaf, I did use coconut flour, which I’ve found to act very similar to starches in recipes.

Hubba hubba that thing was good.

I never was a quick bread gal until I started running. Something about knowing that there’s a slice of fresh zucchini bread waiting for me at home, just makes my run so much more enjoyable.

Do I eat to run, or run to eat? Obviously, it’s the latter, and I’m okay with that.

[print_this]

Zucchini Apple Spice Loaf with Cinnamon Sugar Topping

Gluten free, Dairy free, Refined sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free

Perfectly baked loaf with soft spice tones, topped with cinnamon sugar.

Inspired by About.com

Wet:

• 3/4 cup coconut/palm sugar
  • 1/2 cup sunflower oil
  • 2 lightly beaten large eggs
  • 1/4 cup non-dairy milk – I used unsweetened hemp milk
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup shredded apple (do not peel)
  • 1 cup shredded zucchini (do not peel)
  • 1/3 cup walnuts
  • 1/3 cup raisins

Cinnamon sugar topping: 2 tsp soy free earth balance, 1 tbsp coconut sugar, 1 tbsp almond flour, 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 7.5″ x 3.5″ loaf pan. I used a silicon loaf pan so no greasing was needed.
  2. Prepare cinnamon sugar topping and set aside.
  3. Place the shredded apple and zucchini on top of the dish cloth, pull the sides together and make a ball of shredded contents. Press to release as much of the liquid as possible, as if you’re wringing out the cloth.
  4. Whisk together all dry ingredients.
  5. In a separate bowl, mix together sugar, oil, eggs, milk, and vanilla.
  6. Add wet to dry and stir until combined. The batter should be a similar consistency as muffins – creamy and thick, but not doughy and firm.
  7. Stir in zucchini, apples, raisins, and walnuts.
  8. Scoop batter into prepared pan and sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top. Bake for 60 – 70 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean [mine was ready in 70 minutes].
  9. Allow to cool for a couple minutes before removing it from the pan [if you're not using a silicon pan, keep the loaf in the pan for 1 hour before attempting to remove]
  10. Allow to cool for a total of 2 hours.

[/print_this]

Delicious! The more I experiment with gluten-free breads and muffins, the better I get. But, I still have to make the recipe at least twice before I nail it. Practice makes perfect!

Now, if only I could get an unlimited supply of baking products.

I plan to have a slice of this before I head to the grocery store this morning, equipped with my barbecue grocery list.

On the list, are ingredients for a double batch of Dad’s Famous Potato Salad,

Blueberry Cream Pie, and YukaFlux [recipes to come!]

The best part about long weekends is that everyone and their dog is out camping, so grocery stores, malls, and running trails will be SO empty!

Do you shop with a grocery list?

Do you normally go camping for long weekends?

Sarah@The Flying ONION

This looks *fabulous!*

I definitely go back and forth with running to eat, eating to run. Most of the time, I eat to run. But there are times when I just don’t feel like running, but I still feel like eating. So I run to eat. It’s a flip flop situation that I’ve learned to live with..haha!

“I think I’m finally convinced that gluten-free just doesn’t do oil-free well”–

I was convinced of this ages ago. There are only so many things you can remove before you’re left with something sub par…Vegan and GF is do-able (carefully) but to remove oil, too….not good. I find that with GF baking, you have to have a healthy dose of fats, i.e. butter, marg, coconut oil, oil, etc in order to help bind the dough b/c the gluten/binder is already removed. Remove eggs, i.e. vegan, and it’s even trickier but I actually think it’s harder to bake GF than it is to bake vegan. Sorry to ramble :)

Your bread looks stellar to me!!!!

And your photos, setup/composition…beautiful!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

I have been loving on zucchini bread too! We have so much zucchini here I love playing with it! Yours looks amazing YUM! I definitely go shopping with a list. I am the worst at wondering the store if I don’t have one and now that we don’t live next to a store, it’s more of an event when we go.

Aine @ Something to Chew Over

I used to be a grocery list kind of girl but now I’ve gotten shopping down to a fine art, I only make one if I have a lot of things to buy that I don’t usually get, like for a new recipe.

I have a great zucchini bread recipe but I really like the idea of including apples so I must try this :)

Heidi @ Food Doodles

Yummy :) Love zucchini and apples in bread. So good. I haven’t really done any gluten free baking so I don’t have a clue what I’m doing but that looks delicious! I don’t shop with a list, but I really need to start. I’m always forgetting things it’s awful. You’d think I would have learned by now, haha.

Jenny

I have never tried zucchini bread, and when I first heard about it a couple of years ago, I thought it sounded like the strangest thing I’ve ever heard! Since coming to love veggies, I’ve wanted to give it a try… although it seems like the stereotypical zucchini bread is over-sweetened so you can’t detect it. This recipe looks promising though! I hope it will work with flax eggs (egg allergy over here)… If so, this will be my first try eating zucchini bread~!

I always bring a grocery list to the store (unless I’m really only going for a couple of staples). Otherwise, I definitely end up buying things I don’t really need. Actually, sometimes I bring a list of what NOT to buy, just because that seems to do a better job of dissuading me from making tempting purchases… :P

Have a great Saturday!!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles

Running to eat…story of my life!!

And I ALWAYS shop with a list! If I don’t I come home with a million things I don’t need and nothing I do. Hop you’re enjoying the long weekend!

I shop with a list if I know there is something particular I need for a recipe, but other than that I have my pretty basic pantry list needs….

And I’ve never gone camping at all before!!! Sad, I know! :(

Wow, you need to change that! You’re missing out. I can’t wait until our backyard is finished so we have some free time to go camping!

Stephanie

Beautiful! I can almost smell it through the screen! Cinnamon-sugar crust on bread is amazing. I like doing it with banana bread as well.

Junia @ Mis Pensamientos

ahhhh i love healthy bread!!! apple + zucchini sound like a perfect combo. bookmarked! i may take this a step further… and make it a gluten free vegan bread loaf!

If you make it vegan, let me know how it turns out!

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons

Can I be extra bad and have mine with a bowlful of topping on, in and around it? =) kthx!

haha this looks ridiculously awesome!!!! Hope you have a great weeeknd L!

haha I did the SAME thing. I took a slice this morning and drenched it in maple syrup, coconut oil, ground cinnamon, almond butter, coconut, and crushed flax seed. Toppings are what make… everything ;)

Hayley @ Oat Couture

Your photo’s are fantastic! And I shop with a list but ALWAYS end up throwing extra items in! :)

Meri

Your photos are beautiful, and I bet the bread is even better! My favorite is the one with the topping drizzled over it… This plus a mug of Good Earth Tea would make my weekend morning complete! Well, and a crossword too :)

Barb

Your eggs and liquids need to be room temperature also. You can zap your flour in the microwave and also the liquids. You can put eggs in very warm water and they will lose their chill quickly. You can tell that I am a spur of the moment baker, can’t you?

Thanks for the tips, Barb!

Nicole

Woah girl, how did you know what my last loaf was like? 100% mushy zucchini/squash bread. It isn’t awful, but it is lacking in a tad bit more flour to hold it together. Your bread looks incredibly delicious! Crumbly crunchy top with the drizzle, my goodness. I need to go purchase extra zucchini this week…

Have a happy weekend!

It’s so hard to get loaves right, isn’t it? I can’t stand the mushiness. Good for you for being a trooper and eating yours.

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie)

Love the zucchini bread, looks amazing. And I normally don’t have a grocery list since I tend to go through every aisle lol

Jeff

Hubba hubba indeed! This looks amazing! I love the addition of the apple! This recipe has definitely moved to the top of my baking list. That’s just some awesome good food right there. Nicely done!

The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time

Boy, do I hear your comment about an endless supply of baking products! All cooking products. Running out of spices stinks too.

You zucchini bread is absolutely awesome. I can’t believe it’s all that free stuff and still looks so inviting and delicious. I am way impressed.

Alaina Rose @ Sweetness Of Life

That looks delicious! I’m going to have to try that. We’re growing so much zucchini this summer that I’m going to be in constant need of new, creative recipes that call for zucchini!

Amanda

Hi!

This looks sooo yummy! I think I need to make this! Your pictures are beautiful too. :D I came over here from Julie’s blog hop. Can you check out my entry too? I’m number 31, with the roasted zucchini sandwich. Check out my blog! It’s softandstiffpeaks.blogspot.com I’m a teen food blogger. I would appreciate it if you could do that!

Amanda

Christine

I have everything except the arrowroot starch on hand. Is there something I can substitute for it?

You could try tapioca or potato starch! I haven’t tried it, but they are very similar!