I went to my first “Masters Swim” class yesterday morning. Doesn’t the title of the class sound scary?
Masters… like there’s going to be some serious athletes there. A place where blood, sweat, and tears will be flowing freely.
I sat hidden in a change room stall for about 10 minutes before I gained enough courage to pull on my cap and strap on my goggles.
What gave me that courage? 3 months ago I went to my first “Super Spin” class, 5 months ago I found myself with a tank strapped to my back, 80 feet deep off the coast of Jamaica, and 8 months ago, I laced up my old runners and hit the pavement for the first time.
All of these experiences were just as scary as the last. But I did it. I conquered my fear, took a jump and I learned that we generally make things out to be much scarier than they actually are. So, when I’m scared over the next activity, I remind myself of where I’ve come from, and what I’ve accomplished. I remind myself of the amazing people I met, the lessons I’ve learned, and the experience changed me. And then I jump!
So I urge you, if you’re waiting on trying Zumba for the first time, or have been dreaming about attending your first yoga class, whatever the case my be, just DO it! Your classmates wont judge you, you won’t lose your bathing suit, you wont embarrass yourself, and you may actually like it!
On with the eats…
Holy fiber batman! If you’re hungry halfway through the day, fiber [and protein] are the way to go. Fiber is going to keep you fuller, longer, allowing your body to slowly take up the food you’ve ate.
When I was prepping the kitchen to whip up a batch of my favourite granola last week, I decided last minute to make it sweetener/sugar free. After tasting how delicious the granola was without sugar, I decided I was going to make a conscious effort to reduce my honey, agave, and maple syrup intake for awhile.
In comes the high protein, high fiber muffin with 0 natural sweeteners or sugar. Makes a great snack following a Masters Swim class!
Movin’ Along Raspberry Fiber Muffins
Sugar free, Gluten free, Vegan, Dairy Free
Finding it hard to finish the day? This high protein muffin [coming in at 5g] is a great snack to refuel after a workout, or to satisfy your hunger in the afternoon. At 5 grams of fiber, these muffins are sure to fill you up, and keep any digestive system moving.
Inspired by: Peas and Thank you
- 1/2 cup Almond Breeze Almond Milk, or a non-dairy milk of your choice
- 1/2 cup fresh apple juice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce, or 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 6 medjool dates
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup roasted buckwheat kernels, ground – I used Bob’s Red Mill [called Kasha] and ground them in my coffee bean grinder. You could use regular buckwheat kernels, or replace with rice flour.
- 1/2 cup freshly ground flax
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup frozen or fresh organic raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Combine milk, apple juice, apple sauce, coconut oil, dates, and vanilla extract in a blender. Blend until smooth. Set aside
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, ground buckwheat kernels, ground flax, salt, and baking powder
- Pour liquid mixture into flour mixture. Stir to combine
- Fold in raspberries
- Drop mixture into silicon muffin cups, or a paper lined muffin sheet
- Bake for 20-22 minutes
Makes 12 muffins
This is all I’m giving to Kevin. I get the rest. Num, Num… so good!