Homemade Gifts: Pumpkin Ginger Spice and Energizing Pumpkin Foot Scrubs

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on December 16, 2011

I was confident that leaving for vacation the week before Christmas would help me avoid the hoopla of the holidays.

The plan was to steer clear of the craziest week of the year, and get home with just enough time to enjoy the turkey on Christmas day.

Christmas gifts were going to be random things we picked up on the trip, and our take along food item for the festivities was going to be a store-bought fruit cake.

I know, who am I kidding? Store-bought fruit cake?

I guess I really set myself up for failure on this one.

It wasn’t long until I found myself trialing batches of foot scrubs, canning homemade jam, whipping up two sheets of coconut almond bark, and eating making chocolate spoons.

Because really, I can’t show up to an event with make-shift gifts and a sugar laden cake.

In the end I got suckered into making gift baskets for practically everyone we know and I have no one to blame by myself.

But you know what? I’ve enjoyed every minute of it.

I love crafting, and baking, and gifting, and wrapping. I’ll never deny myself these things ever again.

Best of all, I’ve gotten to test 4 batches of foot scrubs which really couldn’t have come at a better time. These scrubs work so well, that I ended up not having to book a pedicure before our vacation.

These toes are ready for some fun in the sun!

[print_this]

Pumpkin Ginger Spice Foot Scrub

Treat yourself or your loved ones to an at-home Winter pedicure. This scrub smells so delicious, you’ll have to control yourself from not snacking on it!

Yield: One 250mL (1 cup) jar

• 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1/2 cup demerara sugar *see note
  • 2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
  • 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice

1. Combine all ingredients in a medium sized bowl and spoon into a 250mL mason jar.
  2. Add a gift tag and you’re done!

note: demerara sugar is coarser than many sugars, but any brown sugar or other sugars with coarse granules will do the trick!

Store in the fridge for 3-4 days

[/print_this]

[print_this]

Energizing Pumpkin Foot Srub

Wake up your senses with this energizing foot scrub, complete with a coarse texture to give those toes some sparkle!

Yield: One 250mL (1 cup) jar

• 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1/2 cup demerara sugar *see note
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tbsp ground coffee beans
  • 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice

2. Add a gift tag and you’re done!

Store in the fridge for 3-4 days

[/print_this]

Do you want to make your own gift baskets for the holidays?

Here are some of my gift basket tricks to stay on budget, and still be creative:

• Get your gear at the dollar store: they have Christmas themed baskets, ribbon, tissue paper for the basket filling, basket bags, and Christmas mugs, all for under a dollar.
  • Re-gift: do you have a bunch of wine bottles sitting around? Throw them in the baskets!
  • Less is more: pick two or three of your favourite products and add them to each basket. They don’t have to be elaborate or expensive. Things like crackers, dark chocolate bars, fruit, and pretzels are great.
  • Go homemade: whip up easy recipes like Christmas bark, foot scrub, or cookies.
  • Include the recipes: if you go the homemade route, include the recipes of the treats.

[source]

This year, our baskets contain a variation of the following:

With the re-gifting of the wine, and opting for homemade over store-bought, we managed to come in at just a little over $7 for each basket! Horray for Christmas under $100!

Okay… now I really have to go pack.

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous

What great ideas! I always make my own bath products because it’s healthier, cheaper and I can add any scents I want!

The foot scrub is an amazing idea…now, can you send a foot masseuse along with the gift and I’ll be all set? Thanks :)

hahaha deal!

Love homemade gifts, and yours look fabulous! So glad you had fun making them (I know I always do!). And you provided some great ideas.

Have tons of fun on your trip! Enjoy the weather (if the Dominican is anything like Florida, you will be in for some nice warmth).

I thought these were going to be jams! They sound delicious. ;)

My toots need some TLC… I may make some for myself!

LizAshlee

What a great post…I love your ideas!!! I can’t wait to make these homemade gifts! I’ll just have to be careful not to eat them before I give them away! :)

Louise

Great idea! I have to make some.
Is there anyway to keep them longer than 3-4 days – do you think they will freeze well?

The only reason it’s 3-4 days is because the sugar gets less and less coarse over the days. It’s still great even after a week, it just doesn’t have the same ‘scrubbing’ action. You could always gift it with the sugar separate and tell the receiver to mix it in afterward.

Cara

Another ca-uuuuutttteeee idea from the genius mind of Leanne! Is one of those jars being shipped out to California?? *wink wink nudge nudge*

Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense

Great ideas Leanne… =)
I would love to try the food scrub!!

Tracy @ Commit to Fit

Great gift ideas, Leanne! Thanks for sharing. :)

Homemade gift baskets is a great way to go :) That’s part of what I’m doing for a couple of people this year, too! I’m also making some homemade cake stands!! – some for Christmas gifts, some for myself, and some to display our goodies on Christmas Eve!

Carissa

Those look amazing. So many homemade scrubs have strange oils that I don’t want to have to purchase. These are simple & must smell A–MAZ–ING!

leslie

Can I lick my feet while giving myself a pedicure???? I bet this stuff tastes yummy

magda

your foot scrub recipe says store in fridge for 3-4 days… is this it’s “shelf life”?
sounds great..
thanks

Yes, you can still use it after that (1-1.5 weeks) the sugar just becomes less coarse with time.

SuzAnne

I know this is an older post but, I was wondering…When it says: Store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, is that all the longer it lasts? If I give this as a gift will they have to dispose of it if not used in that time frame. Otherwise, how long WILL it last. Thanks!

When I made mine, it lasted a week. I gave these as gifts and made them the night before gifting them and told everyone they had 7 days to use. Enjoy!