Ever get home from a long day at work, walk straight to your pantry, open ‘er up and grab the first thing you find?
Before you know it, you’ve gone through half a bag of potato chips, crackers, gummy bears, or almond butter fingers [aka finger dip, lick, repeat], without even batting an eyelash.
If this is at all like you, you should know that you’re not alone. This is a classic problem for many people, generally because they don’t eat enough during the day.
But there’s good news in all of this… there’s a simple, cost effective, healthful solution to your pantry raiding: Omgiidernigtd-Snacks!
What are Omgiidernigtd-Snacks?
- Snacks prepared in less than 5 minutes
- Healthful bites to fuel you for your day: stay energized, alert, and balanced
- Many can be stashed in your desk, car, office, golf bag, gym bag [whatever you're into] for quick and easy access
- Low cost: don’t go broke over your snacking! Avoid the vending machines and save your money!
I’ve collected this compilation of snack recommendations over the years and will continue to add to the list as time goes on. Check back frequently for new additions!
- Kaia foods kale chips
- Homemade trail mix: will keep up to 2 months in a jar. Fill Mason jar with cacao nibs, almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, raisins, prunes, dates, apricots. Look for raw nuts and seeds and unsweetened dried fruit
- Raincoast Crisps with coconut butter and dried fruit: Look for dried berries, they’re the bomb! [not gluten-free]
- Fruit to go bars: although they are not as good as an apple, pear, or any whole fruit [I think you can find organic ones now] they’re a lot better than the candy machine!
- Ryvita crackers with almond butter and jam: look for a jam sweetened with fruit juice [not gluten-free]
- Banana mania smoothie: 1 banana, 1/2 cup cereal [any kind will do the trick], 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup berries
- Apple and almond butter
- Popcorn and coconut oil: popped fresh is best, but if you’re in a time crunch [or there's no popper at your gym...] throw in a microwavable bag of plain, unsalted popcorn. Sprinkle with sea salt and coconut oil
- Olives: throw a couple in a container in the morning and snack on at any time of the day
- Celery and peanut butter
- Bean salad: 1 can mixed beans, ½ red onion chopped, ¼ cup apple cider vinegar, ¼ cup olive oil
- Flax oil, herbs and veggies: mix 1 tsp parsley, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp basil, 1 tsp oregano, 1/4 tsp salt in 1/4 cup flax oil. Use as a dip for veggies
- Coconut chips: long shreds of coconut, you can usually find a health food stores
- Quick oats, cinnamon, and ground flax
- Hemp powder & unsweetened almond milk: try to find 250mL servings of almond milk, should keep up to 1 year
- Lara Bars! [apple is my favourite]
- Dried fruit: look for unsulphured, unsweetened, organic dried fruit. Mixing with nuts and seeds will lessen the impact on your blood sugar
- Clif Bars: Kevin’s favourite is Chocolate Fudge [not gluten-free]
- Kalamata olives wrapped in spinach
- Medjool dates and coconut butter: split open and stuff with coconut butter
- Hummus and veggies: prepare vegetable sticks on Sundays and store in your fridge for a quick get-to meal
- Banana and almond butter
- Organic corn tortillas with salsa: 10 chips will satisfy your craving, I promise!
- Toasted bagel with nut butter, banana, and sprinkled coconut: my favorite gluten free bagel is Kinnikinnick Foods Tapioca Rice New York Style Plain Bagels [Kinnikinnick bagels are NOT vegan, but there are many others that are!]
- Carrot sticks: plain, simple, and delicious
- Date dips [recipe]
- Granola: look for a brand that is sweetened with honey (check the ingredients because sometimes they SAY its sweetened with honey and it still has loads of glucose)
- Goat cottage cheese with tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, and celery
- Apple and cheese
- Hard boiled egg, mashed with 1 tsp canola mayonnaise: use as a dip for veggies
- Yogurt and trail mix: trail mix – fill Mason jar with cacao nibs, almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, raisins, prunes, dates, apricots. Look for raw nuts and seeds and unsweetened dried fruit
- Slice of Quality bakery bread and coconut oil: pumpernickel, sunflower rye or rock rye breads
- Granola and chocolate chips
- Hard boiled egg
- Crackers and cheese
- Black beans with cheese: 1/4 cup black beans, 2 tbsp cheddar, melted over top crackers
- Greek yogurt with blueberries, granola, and a drizzle of blueberry agave
- Marys crackers with individual sized canned tuna: try to find tuna in water (avoid oil and mayonnaise)
- Turkey melts: 1 slice of bread, 1 slice of leftover turkey, 2 tbsp daiya cheese: put in the toaster oven for 5 minutes
- Pre-cooked chicken: cook, cut into strips and keep in the freezer. Defrost in the morning for an after work snack
Have a snack you want to share? Let me know!