Extra creamy dairy-free ice cream that’s sandwiched between two fudgy cake donuts. All gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free and egg-free.
Last week, I was in the kitchen (heh, when am I ever NOT in the kitchen?) with a plan. I was going to make ice cream sandwiches for my pals at Natural Vitality. I love their products, you too?
Only, I wasn’t sure what flavor of cookie to make. Chocolate chip? Chocolate fudge? Double Chocolate? Vanilla?
In the end, I decided on a classic approach… with a bit of a twist.
What can I say, my donut pan was lonely.
Plus! Now when people ask you how your summer was you can reply with, “I made (and ate) grain-free + vegan ice cream DONUT sandwiches. Yeah. Jealous?”
I shared the donut recipe on Natural Vitality Living. CLICK HERE FOR THE DONUT RECIPE.
For the Sugar-free Vanilla Bean Ice Cream that goes along with this recipe, see below.
- Add cashews to a clean glass container. Cover with water; not the water listed in the recipe. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours. Once complete, strain and rinse.
- Add soaked cashews, 1 of cup water, CALM and vanilla extract to the jug of your high-powered blender. Blend on high until smooth.
- Transfer to a glass container and add in ground vanilla bean, if using. Cover, shake and refrigerate overnight or freeze for 1 hour.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker and follow manufacturers instructions.
- Consume immediately. Or transfer to a chilled container and freeze for 2 hours for harder scoops. If using in ice cream sandwiches, freeze for 2 hours and sandwich between these Vegan Chocolate Cake Donuts.
View Nutrition Information (once on page, scroll down)
The thing I love about these sandwiches is that they can be made ahead of time and frozen until you’re ready to eat. They’d be great for a children’s birthday party. Wait, who am I kidding? Perfectly acceptable for an adult’s birthday party, too!
What cold summer treats have you been enjoying this summer?