Sweet Potato Chocolate Quinoa Crumble Muffins

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on December 1, 2013

Sweet Potato Chocolate Quinoa Crumble Muffins #glutenfree #dairyfree #sweetpotato #muffins

Gluten-free muffins made with roasted sweet potato and chocolate chunks. Topped with a maple-infused quinoa crumble topping.

I’ve been rocking a dairy-free life since the early 90′s thanks to my lactose intolerant Mom who raised us on Rice Dream ice cream bars, hemp milk and cashew yogurt. Bless her heart.

From an early age, I learned that kale, broccoli, sesame and almonds would help me grow tall and strong. And that calcium wasn’t the only nutrient required for bone formation. I was destined to make holistic nutrition my life.

Magnesium, vitamin D, vitamin K, manganese, potassium, boron… all are needed to build (and maintain) healthy bones.

For days where I’d rather eat a muffin than sip on a green shake (because ya, I’m human, too!), there’s Osteo CALM.

Osteo CALM is a gluten-free, vegan, non-GMO, bone health supplement that’s packed with all of the essential bone health nutrients.

When I’m making a batch of muffins, I replace the yogurt or milk with Osteo CALM and all is right in my world. I get a boost of bone building power that’s dairy-free, whole food based, non-GMO… and? I get to eat muffins.

Win win.

To make this recipe as accessible to everyone as possible, it’s dairy-free, gluten-free and oil-free. I bet the egg could also be removed and replaced with a flax egg (1 tablespoon freshly ground flax seeds + 3 tablespoons of warm water, left to sit for 5 minutes)

Quote-Line2

Go to the blog, Natural Vitality Living, for my Sweet Potato Chocolate Quinoa Crumble Muffin recipe.

Quote-Line2

Note: The “all purpose flour” I used was this gluten-free mix.

Also – the Osteo CALM can be replaced with non-dairy milk of your choice ;)

Really simple to prepare, I assure you.

And… quinoa crumble? Awesome!

If you’re dairy-free, what steps do you take to meet your nutrient requirements?

Are you concerned with your calcium intake?

std-Full-Banner-468x60.003

Shel@PeachyPalate

These look gorgeous!!! Especially the crumble topping!

Shel@PeachyPalate

Meant to ask could you replace the osteo calm with non dairy milk? Also what flour mix did you use?

Hey Shel!
For the Osteo CALM: Yes, it can be replaced with non-dairy milk

Shel@PeachyPalate

Ah very good thanks a mil! I try and steer clear of anything white or starches so I might try gluten free oat flour and almond meal!

Alex

These sound great except for the addition of osteo calm. It contains sodium benzoate, a known carcinogen. It’s particularly bad for you when combined with vitamin C.

Hi Alex, thank you for bringing this to my attention. Feel free to replace the Osteo CALM with non-dairy milk of your choice.

sophie

The recipe calls for all-purpose flour…but you say it’s gluten-free, so is the flour actually All-Purpose gluten-free flour (the Bob’s Red Mill stuff)?

Thanks!

ps: Any progress with the hormone/bone health?!?!? Are you seeing any changes?

Hey Sophie: For the flour: I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-free All Purpose Baking Mix, like this: http://amzn.to/13iSHbl

As for the hormones… I’ll be reporting in the New Year. Had a couple of bumps along the way and need some time to process. I’ll be back in the New Year with all of the details. Hope things are going well for you, too?

Cherish

Sounds like an interesting recipe :) I’d almost best the presence of chocolate and maple will trick some picky eaters I know into eating sweet potato muffins!

I have a quick question, too: I’m seriously considering switching to a completely dairy-free diet in the new year, mostly to see if that’s what’s aggravating my adult allergy and making me feel crappy on and off. (Pause here to cheer for a fiance who’s willing to come back from his honeymoon to a radical diet change AND do it with me.) I’m wondering how long we should give this diet to see if it’s working for us? My assumption is a few months at least. We’re also planning to wean gradually into it so our tastes adjust: for example, I already substitute milk for unsweetened almond milk in my cereal and to drink, but I rarely cook with it, so that’s our first step. Thanks!

Marianne

These look yummy! I love your recipes :)

Heidi

Can’t wait to try these, they sound so good. Especially as I really love sweet potato & quinoa in baked yummies ;-) How would you substitute the egg? Would a chia ‘egg’ just for binding be ok or is the egg actually for the fluffiness of the muffins & if so what other natural/vegan ingredient could I use instead?

Cheers, Heidi

Dee

Sounds like a great recipe. Can’t wail to try it. Can I substitute honey for the coconut sugar? I usually use less of the liquid in the recipe when subing, but I don’t want to eliminate too much of the sweet potato.
Thanks.

Hey Dee – I haven’t tried the switch… but I would think that you will be okay just removing coconut sugar, adding in about 25% less honey. Let me know if it works!

Rachel

I made these. I’ve been getting tons of sweet potatoes in my organics box and was running out of ideas for things to do with them. These muffins are a really clever idea, and they taste great!