Banana Split Smoothie

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on September 17, 2013

Banana Split Smoothie (vegan, paleo, dairy-free) mangocreamsmoothieTHUMB Check out the Mango Cream Smoothie Recipe that I created yesterday using Silk Soy Milk! It is a creamy vegan smoothie made sweet with fresh grapes and frozen mango. The grapes sweeten the smoothie so there is no added sugar!

Quote-Line2

The days are growing shorter, the wind gusts are getting stronger and 6am is a tad colder than I’d like it to be.

As much as I’ve been tempting to pick up a flat of pumpkin puree and start experimenting with pumpkin scones, cookies and cakes, doing so would officially make it Fall… and I just can’t bring myself to accept that as my reality right now.

So, I’ve decided that denying the big “F” is the best approach.

A little denial, a couple banana splits.

Banana Split Smoothie (vegan, paleo, dairy-free)

Instead of whipping up a batch of my favorite vegan protein ice cream for my un-Fall banana split, I made this baby in my handy-dandy vitamix… in under 5 minutes.

There’s been a lot of talk of carrageenan in our food. As Dr. Weil explains it here, when we eat processed foods containing carrageenan, we ingest enough to cause inflammation in our bodies. We know that chronic inflammation is a root cause of many serious diseases including heart disease, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases, and cancer. No good.

How does this relate to my Banana Split Smoothie?

Banana Split Smoothie (vegan, paleo, dairy-free)

The almond milk that Kevin and I have been using for our smoothies, cereals and recipes contains carrageenan. Luckily for us? The next time we went to the grocery store, we read the label of Silk almond milk and were happy to see that there was no carrageenan in it! Silk almond milk uses locust bean gum (a derivative of carob) as a thickener and stabilizer instead of carrageenan. For more information on locust bean gum, check this out.

Kevin and I have been drinking the same almond milk for… well, since forever. We were a bit nervous to make the switch to a different brand but there was nothing to worry about, this stuff is great!

Banana Split Smoothie (vegan, paleo, dairy-free)

To print, email or text this recipe, click here.

5.0 from 1 reviews

Banana Split Smoothie
Author:
Allergens: Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free, Nut-free, Egg-free
Prep time:
Total time:
Serves: 2

A dairy-free, vegan smoothie with all the goodness of a banana split. Made healthy with fresh strawberries, pineapple, almond milk and dairy-free chocolate chunks.
Instructions
  1. Add all ingredients to the jug of your blender in the order they are listed and blend for 20-30 seconds, until smooth.
  2. Serve immediately.
Notes
Ice cubes: If you’re planning on using mostly frozen fruits for your smoothie, you may want to remove some of the ice from the recipe so that the smoothie blends easily. I used fresh fruit for my smoothie.

Almond Milk: I used Silk True Almond Milk, Unsweetened Original for this recipe. But you could use any type of non-dairy milk that you have on hand.

View nutrition information

Banana Split Smoothie (vegan, paleo, dairy-free)

Add everything to your blender and GO!

Alternatively, if you don’t want to use milk at all, you can replace the milk with: 1 cup of water, 2 tablespoons of raw, shelled hemp seeds and 1/4 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract. I call it a lazy gal’s hemp milk. I do it ALL the time with my smoothies when I either don’t want to make milk from scratch, or I want a change from the store-bought stuff.

Banana Split Smoothie (vegan, paleo, dairy-free)

Pour your smoothie into 2 clean cups, and away you go.

Fall? Fall who?

Banana Split Smoothie (vegan, paleo, dairy-free)

Are you ready to accept that Fall is coming?

What is your favorite season of the year?

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine

I am so not ready to accept the Fall! I hate the cold temps and am totally dreading it and the impending winter to come shortly after, haha!

char eats greens

Silk is my fave brand and this sounds delicious!!

Rita

This sounds really yummy! And it is great that Silk uses locust bean gum. However, it is
My understanding that the Silk brand does not support Washington State’s GMO food labeling initiative. It makes me wonder why a seemingly healthful and responsible company wouldn’t support it, unless they have something to hide…

Sarah

Yes, thank you for mentioning this too… they’re part of the Non-GMO project! Yay!

Vienna

You’re right, Rita, their parent company (since Silk is owned by a major, mainstream food corporation) is one of the biggest opponents of the GMO food labeling initiative.

Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables

Does the almond milk from Silk have sugar in it? I was looking into getting it recently (our Costco sells it in bulk, making it the cheapest option locally), but even for the “plain” flavor there was some kind of sugar on the ingredient list. If there is an unsweetened version I would love to know about it! Currently we get it unsweetened at Trader Joe’s, which does have carrageenen, but no sugars. I would just start making my own but it’s a tad too time consuming for us at the moment…

Hi Catherine – yes, they have an unsweetened version. It’s called, “Unsweetened Original”. That’s what I used in this smoothie!

Stephanie

I’ve had the same dilemma with almond milk, all of the ones that seem to be available in Calgary contain carageenan, with the exception of the Silk one, but they use GMO’s, so what is the lesser of two evils? haha Going to attempt making my own at some point!

Stephanie

Just saw the link to the non-gmo info on Silk! Thanks for providing, I just assumed since they do not support the GMO labelling that they must use GMO’s.

Hi Stephanie – the cases I have at home have the Non-GMO label. Strange. Maybe they’re phasing out the old containers?

Amanda B

yum! I love pineapple in my smoothies, such a perfect tropical taste! Silk is my all time fav!

Jessica

I love this time of the year, here in Australia we are coming into Spring, my favourite season, and there are so many delicious fruits and vegetables coming into season that my weekly farmers market trips are getting much more exciting! I am looking forward to making some of the recipes you posted in your Spring very soon! Also, thank you for the tip about the carageenan, I just checked my almond milk cartons and they are using it, so I will be on the hunt for a different brand that doesnt use it!

Good luck in the hunt, Jessica. I’d love to hear about which product you find! Yes, Spring is by-far my favorite season. It’s so beautiful. Of all the recipes I posted in the Spring, this one was my favorite: http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2013/05/vegan-lemonade-ice-cream/

Jessica

I will be sure to keep you posted about any that I find, so if you, or any of your readers are ever down under, you know what brand to look out for! I have found one that looks promising, but will have to see if I can find it in my local grocery store to test the taste, before reporting back!

Spring here means we finally break the drought of public holidays (we haven’t had one since June) and the thought of daylight savings starting makes my heart so happy!

That ice cream looks truly amazing, I will be putting that on my “must try” list!

Wow… that’s a long time without a holiday. That’s unheard here in Canada! I don’t think we have a month without one! Enjoy it all!

Liz

Leanne,
I find that with the impending end of this Summer, I am fighting harder than I ever have before to STOP Fall from coming. I always mourn the long, sunny, WARM days of summer, but this year, I am inexplicably digging my heels in much more fervently and determinedly than I’ve ever done before; it seems to be the general consensus across the multitude of blogs I read that we are just not ready to give up our summer and relinquish the long, glorious light-filled hours that go with it. I know once Fall comes, I’ll embrace it whole heartedly and lovingly as I always do (it’s actually my favorite season :) ), but, right now, I’m just finding it ridiculously hard to say goodbye. So, if you’ve got ‘em, keep the summer recipes coming. :)
I’m glad you mentioned that Silk doesn’t use carageenan, but, personally, I find them to be a dodgy, shady company, and I stopped buying their products years ago. I’m just going to stick with making my own almond milk. Since I have a VM, I do that “lazy girl’s milk” ALL the time with almonds, and sometimes with cashews. I started it when all this crazy carageenan stuff surfaced, and it’s always served me well. Anything that let’s me spend less money, create less waste and cut down on my packaging consumption, I’m all for so it’s just a win-win-win for me. :)

jodye @ whole pure recipes

So quick and simple, but it looks so luscious and decadent! I bet the pineapple adds a nice bit of tange to cut through the sweetness. This looks like a winner for sure!

Kristie

I’m such a fall lover. Yep, the mornings are just a TAD chilly (hello, frost on the car windows already?!) but I love the cozy crispness that autumn brings.

Also a huge Silk lover. So much so that their newsletter popped up in my inbox this morning… and I opened it up and saw your face! Had to jump over here right away and let you know, clearly. I’m not a regular commenter but definitely a regular reader. So glad you’ve discovered the Silk love!

I’ve been whipping up quite a few of your smoothie recipes lately, actually, so this and the mango smoothie you just posted… next in line!

Lisa

I feel like I’m totally out of the loop: I had no idea that carageenan could cause inflammation! I battle plantar faciitis and all things that cause inflammation in my body cause major flare ups in my feet. I am checking my non-dairy milks when I get home. Thanks for the info!