5-Minute French Fries

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on August 6, 2013

5-minute Jicama Fries #paleo #vegan #glutenfree

Jicama.

I know what you’re thinking, what the heck is a jicama?

I’ll show you!

5-Minute French Fries

Meet Mr. Jicama.

He doesn’t look like much, I know. But he’s really something else.

Jicamas have a crisp texture and fruit-like succulent, sweet-starchy taste. Like a potato, with WAY less starch. Jicamas are delicious raw, are low calorie, high in fiber, water and vitamin C. Plus, they are delicious raw.

I’ve walked past the jicama display numerous times at the grocery store because; to be honest, he’s a bit on the ugly side. And (secretly) new vegetables scare me a wee bit.

But then I had jicama fries at Greens & Proteins in Last Vegas a couple of weeks ago and, instantly, that ugly, brown, potato-like vegetable didn’t look so appalling anymore.

And hey, there is something super awesome about fries that are ready in just 5 minutes, no?

5-Minute French Fries

To print, text or email this recipe, click here.

5.0 from 4 reviews

5-minute French Fries
Author:
Allergens: Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free, Nut-free, Egg-free
Prep time:
Total time:
Serves: 1

Ultra easy fries made of raw jicama, a tuberous root that’s really similar to a turnip (but way tastier).
  • 1 jicama, skin removed and sliced into thin strips
  • ½ tsp extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • ½ tsp onion powder
  • pinch salt
  • pinch cayenne, optional
Instructions
  1. Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl until fries are well coated. Enjoy!
  2. Serve your fries with a batch of my Dairy-free Ranch Dressing for extra goodness.
  3. For a baked option, bake at 400F for a total of 25 minutes, rotating halfway through.
Notes
For the paprika, you could try smoked paprika if you’re not too fond of spice. Otherwise, use ½ tsp to ¾ tsp if you don’t want it too spicy.

View nutrition information

5-Minute French Fries

Unlike other root vegetables, the skin on the jicama cannot be consumed.

What really surprised me? The skin can be peeled off… like bark from a tree.

5-Minute French Fries

You just make a little slit at the top and start peeling with your hands. You can remove the skin with a knife, but peeling is pretty fun.

5-Minute French Fries

Once your jicama is bare, slice it up into fry-like sections, toss with spices, and you’re ready to show down on a batch of fresh, raw, good-for-you, fries.

5-Minute French Fries

And it wouldn’t hurt to serve up your fries with a little batch of my Dairy-free Ranch Salad Dressing.

It makes the jicama SHINE.

The only thing I’m a bit confused about is whether or not a jicama is considered “paleo”. If any of you want to weigh in on it, I’d love to start the conversation!

It sounds like jicama is NOT part of the nightshade family, so that’s a bonus. And, depending on the phase of your candida journey, it may be candida-friendly, too.

5-Minute French Fries

I’m on a roll and would love to try a couple more exciting new vegetables.

What vegetables have you been surprised by this summer?

Or, what vegetables are you hesitant, scared, or overwhelmed to try out?

Ooh I love jicama! I don’t buy it often because I’ve only been able to find it at one of our specialty grocery stores here, but I really love it chopped up in salads because it adds a nice crunch. Great idea to chop it up as fries – I hadn’t thought of that!

I haven’t added it to a salad before, that’s such a great idea. Kevin and I are planning on having salads today… maybe I’ll throw some in there!!

Monica Chambers

A new veggie I’ve been pleasantly surprised by that I had never tried before is Kohlrabi. So good! And you can eat it using this sort of recipe too!

Kohlrabi… interesting. I’ll look for it at the grocery store this weekend. I’ve never, ever heard of it! It’s a tuber, too?

Vienna

I made my first kohlrabi last week, sauteed. Good, but I didn’t like the spices given in the recipe I tried. It is another veggie that is good raw or cooked. Kohlrabi grows above the ground; it looks pretty cool. Has both leaves and bulb to eat so double whammy power!

Fiona

Oh I love strange veggies! Kohlrabi is so cool, looks like something from outer space. It’s a brassica and it tastes sort of like the stalk of broccoli. (I think the purple is cooler than the green variety, but I have a thing for purple veggies.)

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables

I love Jicama! I’ve had it in salsa, which is delicious. There used to be a restaurant here that sold jicama fries, but it went out of business :( so sad!

We need a restaurant here that prepares them. That would be so fabulous! Was the salsa made with just jicama instead of tomatoes? That would be really, really interesting.

D.E.

I’ve been fortunate enough to live in an area with a pretty sizable Latino population (always have, come to think of it:) and I grew up seeing it in the supermarket but not really paying much attention.
I was pretty much focused on some of the staples of the Jamaican diet that I grew up on (though now I stick the the healthiest staples).

A few years ago, Dr. Oz mentioned Jícama as being one of the most nutrient rich vegetables and I guess the fact that it has far less starch than the potato is why he rated it so highly.
I’ve been meaning to incorporate jícama into my eating regime and this recipe will give me that extra push to do so. Thanks!

Dr Oz is pretty cool, I must admit. Some of the advice he shares is SO bang on and super helpful. I think I saw that episode, too… but I wasn’t sure how to incorporate it!

I love Jamaica cuisine. Everything we tried while we were there, we loved immensely.

Illyria

I adore jicamas!! I’m lucky that they normally carry them at my local grocery store so I can get the m quite often. I love cutting them up into matchsticks and dipping them in hummus :3
Cannot wait to go shopping tomorrow so I can try this!!
I didn’t know that you couldn’t eat the skin though, I always have…..ooops XO

Wow, so you eat them as you would carrots… just cut, and dip! Interesting. We’ll have to try that! I read that you shouldn’t eat the skin… but hey, if it hasn’t bothered your digestion…

Illyria

It’s my favourite way to eat them!
And yea, no problem with my digestion, but I would be careful I guess if you have digestive problems because the skin is quite fibrous. Maybe I just have a strong digestion….

Nikki @ The Road to Less Cake

I’ve never heard or seen jicama but I love the idea of instant healthy fries.

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!

I love jicama, having tried it at restaurants, but I have never seen it for sale in a store :(

That’s so strange! Now that I’m looking for it, I’ve seen it EVERYWHERE! Maybe it depends on the location? I have no idea where it’s from originally… Superstore, Sobeys and Loblaws always have them stocked!

Sandii

Love jicama! New love this summer…brussel sprouts! Clean, remove outer leaves and little stub of a stem and cut in half. Steam slightly to maintain crunchiness then toss with a squeeze of lemon, salt, pepper, a sprinkle of organic Parmesan and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds! It’s like summer in a bowl! 😎

Wow… that sounds amazing! I was diggin’ the Brussels sprout a couple of months ago but completely forgot about them. Thanks for the reminder. I’ll have to try your pumpkin seed and dressing approach, that sounds out of this world!

Susan

I recently moved and have the privilege of having an awesome asian market with some fruits and veggies I have never seen or heard of. I have tried a lot of different melons (which mostly taste the same) and dragon fruit. I will add jicama. I have been wanting to try it but now I will.

Wow, that’s SO cool! Asian markets have some of the strangest (but coolest!) things. I still have yet to try a dragon fruit. I must, must get on that. Have an awesome day, Susan!

Tiffany

I haven’t tried jicama yet but I will! This summer I have fallen in love with two new things. The first one is Breadfruit- which is starchy and wonderful when roasted (or roasted then fried if you are being bad). The second is ackee which is a fruit and amazing when sauteed with onion and saltfish. I was fortunate enough to try it fresh in Jamaica but it must be cleaned properly and cooked or it can be poisonous. I brought ALOT back with me that was picked, cleaned, and frozen by my future mother in law but I know they sell it canned here in the US, haven’t tried it though. Both of these things are very popular staples in the Carribean.

Christa @ Edible Balance

I LOVE jicama! I recently decided to pulse it into rice-size firm and fried it with coconut aminos to make a ‘fried rice’… SO good! I’ll have to try the bake version of your fries, I’ve done the raw version with lime and chili powder but baked sound yummy too! I’m pretty sure it’s paleo, but don’t quote me on that!

Christa @ Edible Balance

whoops, rice-size ‘form’ :)

Fried rice… you’re brilliant, Christa. I am SO doing that.

Kim

I’m also adding my vote for kohlrabi as a new veggie we love. Thanks to our CSA share, I got these odd looking veggies and had to google what they were and what to do with them. They’re great raw in salads as well as roasted in the oven along with root veggies. Same with bok choy – never had it until getting them in our CSA box.

Bok choy! I used to love it a couple of years ago, I haven’t had it in ages. I’ll definitely have to try kohlrabi. CSAs are so fabulous, aren’t they?

Catherine

Like Susan, I find some awesome stuff at the local Asian market. I think my most recent favorite was a horned melon–the fruit flesh was this crazy neon green color and the taste was really amazing. Sadly, it was also crazy expensive so I won’t be eating them too often :(

I also love the Asian market for finding different kinds of mushrooms (great way to make stir fries more interesting).

Lynne W.

Oh Em Gee… I love jicama. I’ve never EVER thought of using it like this. Leanne, you rock. Ideas like this totally make you my favorite food blogger. :)

Aw thanks, Lynne!

Ronnda Stapleton

I love jicama, too! Dipping it in hummus is awesome. I can’t wait to make the fries! :o) Thanks for the tip on peeling it! I have always used a potato peeler. Cheers to yummy and good for you food!

Danielle

I will have to pick up one next time I see it at the grocery store! I’ve seen it in a lot of raw recipes and it always sounds very tasty. Do you think it would be hard to digest? Or just like any other raw vegetable (carrot, etc)?

Hi Danielle – I found it very, very easy to digest. Even more so than a sweet potato or carrot.

candace | yogabycandace

I never really know what to do with jicama, and now I’ve got an answer! Great idea!!

Lynda Diane

I live in the Southwest, this is a staple, one of my favorite ways is to make Jicama Slaw. Scrumptious!!

Lauren

I saw on Food Network once where someone made a slaw out of jicama, It looked delicious and was one of the winners of the competition.

marilyn

I live in NJ and Jicama is readily available. A good friend turned me on to it. I cut it up and mix with radishes, grape seed oil, apple cider vinegar, lime, salt pepper. I now put it in everything. I am making salsa for a birthday party and I like the idea of putting it in there the crunch will be wonderful.

Ash

I have just discovered kohlrabi too..its fab
Pumpkin fries are delish too…

sophie

Do you know how much your jicama weighed?

Katy @ Katy's Kitchen

I’ve never heard of Jicama before. Thanks for the introduction to a new vegetable and a new way to eat french fries! I must admit- they are my total weakness when it comes to junk food. This is a tasty way to satisfy that craving.

Crystal

Leann-
Have followed your blog for awhile and never left a comment. But on this, I must let you know that you are missing out if you’ve not tried jicama “hashbrowns”! It’s a fave with my husband and me. We grate jicama and onion in the food processor and cook in skillet lightly oiled with coconut butter until browned and fragrant. Doesn’t get soft like regular potatoes, keeps a crunch, but what a lovely flavor with the onions and the coconut oil!

Wow, thank you Crystal! I’ll definitely give that a whirl this weekend :)

Nicole

I see a couple others have already beaten me to suggest kohlrabi. I discovered it in our CSA box as a previous poster did and we love it! It’s a lot like broccoli stems in terms of flavor and texture. I like them sliced thin and briefly sautéed to bring out the sweetness.

I’ve also lately been enjoying fennel! It’s amazing what a little fresh crunch can do for a dish.

Vienna

I have loved raw jicama in a green salad with raw veggies, black beans, marinated cabbage, and southwestern dressing. HAS to be southwestern dressing! :)

Celeriac root has been fun to try; I used it as a potato sub in soup. Tasted great, but if the potatoes are used for thickening the broth you lose out on that.

I think I am slightly phobic about fiddleheads. I have never had access to them, but from photos they look creepy and I would feel like I was eating a bowl of caterpillars!

Jordan

Mmm I love the satisfying crunch of jicama. It’s so fresh and crisp! I recently tried kumquats. Mostly because I think the name is so funny 😁
You should turn this into a series! Mystery (Veggie) Monday ? Supermarket Surprise Saturday ?

meg @ A Dash of Meg

mmmm jicama fries! how yummy! i have only ever had it in a salad and it was so good! grapefruit, fennel, and jicama! i will be trying your fries, though :)

Serenajoy

Hey Leanne!
Love your recipes and postings. Just wishing that we could get jicima in the UK! I always thought we could pretty much get everything in London, but not been able to source this anywhere… :-(
Thanks for all your hard work.
xx

Hi Serena! Thanks for your kind comments. Have you checked asian markets?

Serenajoy

Hi Leanne,

Thanks for your message. I asked at my local Asian supermarket and checked out my local Brixton market before the previous post but with no luck. Having searched around the internet I was pretty much giving up until I came across your reply in my inbox (I’m just back from holiday so this is the first chance I’ve had). Anyways, I did the search again for Jicima to try to source it here in the UK and came across all the pages singing its praises and all the health benefits….
And then! One of the links called it “YAM BEAN” and looking at pictures/ checking further, it seems that this might be its name here in the UK. So I’m going to do another hunt this week, and will print pictures this time to show to shopkeepers/stall holders, so hopefully I’ll be back raving about the jicima/yam bean fries very soon!
Thanks for your continuing fabulousness.

xx

char eats greens

I’ve tried jicama in WF salads but never bought one myself. Yes, it intimidated me too! But, I think I’m ready to tackle this beast now ;)

Trinna

Love this approach to Jicama! I’ve only ever used it in a salad — colored bell pepper, cucumber, jicama, avocado, onion, with a smidge of olive oil and pink salt, and the juice from a lime. The Jicama soaks up the lime juice and it is so, so, yummy!

Logan

Ever since I first saw this post, I’ve noticed jicama EVERYWHERE… even though, prior to reading your post, I would have sworn I’d never seen it before. I finally picked one up today, and intend to try these fries tomorrow. I have been following your blog for quite a while, and never tried a recipe I didn’t like, so I know these will be no exception! Thank you!

Hey Logan! Funny how that works, hey? I really hope you enjoy the fries!

mary

I haven’t tried jicama yet but your recipe sounds like an easy one to start with. Another root vegetable you might want to try that not many people seem to know about is rutabaga. Like a potato you can cook it many different ways. The toughest thing about them is peeling and cutting because they are very dense.