Pancakes As Big As Your Face

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on July 14, 2013

Billings_Montana-0824

Do you have a bucket list? You know, the things you want to be, do and experience while you’re still alive and kicking?

Besides touring Africa, diving off the coast of Thailand or living in a cabin in the middle of nowhere, I have a couple of silly food-related dreams on my list.

Like…

• eating pancakes as big as my face
  • visiting Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory (Johnny Depp style)
  • making a 15lb Kit Kat bar, and
  • preparing a breakfast of bacon and eggs on an iron in a hotel room

I doubt I’ll ever make it to Willy Wonka’s Factory but pancakes as big as my face? Heck yes. It happened. And in Billings Montana of all places?!

Billings_Montana-0845

Stella’s Kitchen & Bakery is a little restaurant attached to the ClockTower Inn in downtown Billings, Montana.

When Kevin and I arrived at the cute little place, we were both expecting to be told that the gluten-free pancakes were store-bought, or made with loads of buttermilk, or couldn’t be prepared without nuts.

Billings_Montana-0832

But to our surprise, Stella’s makes their OWN gluten-free flour mixture of rice flours and flax seeds. There is NO milk and NO nuts.

So, with the help of our lovely server, Ashley, we both ordered 2 monster gluten-free pancakes with syrup, strawberry sauce, bacon and fruit.

Billings_Montana-0830

Sadly, our pancakes came out with butter on top (minor fail) but we both removed the butter quickly and wiped the tops clean. I’m sure we could have asked for a new order, but we decided not to.

The pancakes were fluffy, rich and delicious, like a real pancake should be. We were both absolutely floored with how delicious (and ginormous) they were.

I got through about 75% of my plate, and Kevin, about 50%. We packaged up the remainder and proceeded to snack on them for the next 2 days. Yes, 2 days.

Billings_Montana-0839

While we were leaving, Kevin debated getting a ginormous cinnamon roll to go but decided that was crazy thinking.

I agreed.

After breakfast, we headed out to Red Lodge, about an hour drive from Billings.

Billings_Montana-0862

We couldn’t leave Montana without getting on some horses and touring the mountains.

Montana feels so much like Alberta, in so many ways.

Montana

We both felt at home the further we got into our 2 hour ride with Elk River Outfitters.

Billings_Montana-0870

The scenery was spectacular and the guys running the show were full of stories of the history of the land and Montana itself.

Billings_Montana-0876

Billings_Montana-0878

Billings_Montana-0900

Just gorgeous, right?

Out of the 9 days we spent on the road, our visit to Billings was our favorite. There are so many different mountain ranges, the city is inviting, the people are friendly, and there were NO ticks! Unlike Minnesota. Boy, was that an experience… but that’s another story for another day.

Billings_Montana-0908

Have you ever been to Montana?

Or, had pancakes the size of your face? We highly suggest it.

Stella's Bakery on Urbanspoon

Lindsay

I have definitely had pancakes the size of my face. And they were delicious :) But I’ve never been to Montana. THAT is on my bucket list. I’m itching to go and I’ve actually been looking into it lately. So, it was quite a nice surprise to see your post. I’m even more excited now :)

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance

Bob and I want to visit Montana….looks beautiful! And I’m not sure getting that cinnamon roll was crazy talk. Wow–had I been there it may have happened. ;)

char eats greens

Now I want pancakes!!! One of my “to do’s” is to go to Africa too. I want to go when my baby girl is a bit older because I want her to experience the animals in THEIR nature vs. at the zoo and the environment WE created for them. I think it’d be pretty kickass for her to say, “oh ya, I’ve seen a lion in its natural habitat” ;)

zosia

Great pictures, Leanne! Looks like you guys had a ton of fun :)

I have a dear friend in Montana and these photos of yours just make me want to go out there and visit him even more!

Tifany

I just found your blog this morning while looking for an eggplant curry recipe! Much to my surprise, this post was waiting for me! I was born in Billings, Montana and have loved Red Lodge and the scenery of Montana my entire life. I live in Little Rock, Arkansas now but get to Montana to visit every few years. I will definitely try Stella’s next time I’m there. Thanks for sharing your adventures!

Hi Tifany! I’m so happy that you found me. Very cool that you’re originally from Billings. Such a beautiful place. I’d love to hear how you like Stella’s when you go!

Shel@PeachyPalate

Yes pancakes as big as my face that gluten dairy and egg free…a weekly dream that comes to fruition with a baked pancake :) Those one’s look amazing. Others include going to a “fancy” vegan restaurant with top class food as opposed to standard cafe/bistro food which tends not to live up to what you can create at home – so limited in Ireland! What’s the best vegan restaurant you’ve ever been too? I’m contemplating a trip to the states for like 4-5 days…

cat

Yes, Montana. No, face cakes. I can’t even imagine walking into a restaurant and even finding ANYthing already gluten free and listed as such on a menu! Hoo-ray for you! That is amazing!

Dayanna

Looks like you had a great time trekking back to Alberta, and such awesome photo’s.
Now to come dip your toes in the west coast waters, we have BIG pancakes too! :P :D
contact me when your gearing up for your vancouver trip – I would be super keen on making something happen.

Marianne

Everything looks great including the pancakes. I will definitely have to make a trip to Montana and stop there to try that breakfast.

I am curious about one thing though. You said that when the pancakes came out they had butter on top and you both took it off. I’m assuming you did that because it wasn’t organic butter or you weren’t sure or is it that you just don’t eat butter? Just wondering….

It’s definitely worth a stop, that’s for sure. Kevin and I are both sensitive to dairy (butter is dairy) so we didn’t waste any time taking it off our pancakes!

Marianne

Thanks….I finally figured it out after I asked…better late than never. Love your site and all the good info.

Pam

Now I want pancakes! They used to be my favorite breakfast food as a kid but having to eat gluten free these days, I have not had them in soo long. Wonder if I can find them down in South Florida, otherwise it’s up to Montana! :)