Corn-free Tortilla Chips and Summer Salsa

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on July 11, 2013

Corn-free Nachos (21)

The tortilla chip is a marvelous thing.

It’s salty, crunchy, textured, and goes well with just about anything.

If you’re not down with corn, or you’re looking for a light summertime snack, the classic tortilla chip just doesn’t fit the bill.

But do not fret, my new corn-free tortilla chip recipe has your name written all over it.

They are gluten-free, high in protein, high in fiber, and have absolutely NO corn or oil.

Corn-free Tortilla Chips and Summer Salsa

I made the chips with something… interesting. It’s called amaranth. Have you heard of it?

Amaranth is a gluten-free grain that’s loaded with protein, calcium, magnesium and iron. It can be popped like itty bits of popcorn and made into a high protein cereal, added to homemade granola bars, or; as I’ve just learned during a massive bout of experimenting, can be transformed into corn-free nachos.

I purchase my amaranth from Upaya Naturals but you can get it from Amazon, iHerb or any health food store.

Corn-free Tortilla Chips and Summer Salsa

To view, print or email this recipe, click here.

5.0 from 2 reviews

Corn-free Tortilla Chips and Summer Salsa
Author:
Allergens: Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free, Nut-free, Egg-free
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 6

These corn-free chips with fresh, summer-inspired salsa makes for a healthy, feel-good snack.
Corn-free Tortilla Chips:
  • ½ cup raw amaranth
  • 1½ cup water
  • ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
  • Zest from 1 lime
Summer Kiwi Salsa:
  • 2 kiwi, skin removed and diced finely
  • ½ large seeded tomato, diced finely
  • 3 tbsp finely diced white onion
  • ¼ cup finely diced bell pepper
  • 2 tbsp chopped cilantro, diced finely
  • 1 tbsp lime juice
Instructions
  1. To make the chips, add amaranth and water to a small saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
  2. Remove from heat, transfer cooked amaranth to a bowl and allow to chill for 30 minutes.
  3. Stir in salt and lime zest to the cooled cooked amaranth.
  4. Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking sheet.
  5. Scoop up cooked amaranth using a teaspoon and roll between hands to form a ball. Press into prepared baking sheet and flatten with fingers to form a circle. The amaranth will be very sticky, just try your best to flatten to ⅛-inch or so. Repeat with remaining amaranth.
  6. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, remove, rotate and bake for another 10 minutes, until crisp.
  7. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes.
  8. Meanwhile, combine salsa ingredients in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate until chips are ready to eat!

View nutrition information

Corn-free Tortilla Chips and Summer Salsa

To make the chips, add amaranth and water to a small saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, transfer cooked amaranth to a bowl and allow to chill for 30 minutes.

Stir in salt and lime zest to the cooled cooked amaranth.

Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking sheet. Scoop up cooked amaranth using a teaspoon and roll between hands to form a ball. Press into prepared baking sheet and flatten with fingers to form a circle.

The amaranth will be very sticky, just try your best to flatten to 1/8-inch or so. Repeat with remaining amaranth.

Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, remove, rotate and bake for another 10 minutes, until crisp. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes.

Corn-free Tortilla Chips and Summer Salsa

Corn-free Tortilla Chips and Summer SalsaAngela and I made these chips when she came for a visit last month and were blown away with just how freakin’ delicious they were.

No oil, no corn, crunchy, salty, snacky.

Take that, corn chip.

Corn-free Tortilla Chips and Summer Salsa

Summer-time snacks… what are your favorites?

Share in the comments below!

AND (the best for last!) I’m hosting a little survey over here and it would mean the world to me if you filled it out.

Complete the survey and your name will be entered to win a $50 Amazon gift card!

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!

Great idea; I never would have thought of kiwi in salsa. As for my favourite snack for summertime, it’s a smoothie hands down! I’m running a contest to win a copy of Kathy Patalsky’s new 365 Vegan Smoothies on my blog; it ends today if you want to check it out!!

Miaa

You’ve just solved 2 things i had in mind in one single post!
have an oppened package of amaranth waiting to be used but didn’t know how to use it and i have been feeling like dipping tortillas in guacamole for a while… just saved me from buying corn tortillas at the supermarket :)

Jennifer S @ Sterling Sweets

This is GENIUS! I think amaranth is often forgotten about in gluten
free cooking and baking, but it has a great nutty, earthy flavor that I bet
is perfect in chips. This recipe is definitely on my must try list. Thanks so much for
sharing!

Nichole

Heck YES! WooHoo & thank you!

I am so so glad that we made these (and had the patience to play with the recipe!) I was actually just thinking about them the other day, and was considering making some of the other flavours we talked about. Oh and that salsa… gahh it was just as good as the crackers! As far as other summer time snacks go, I’m always up for an enormous bowl of watermelon and berries, or veggies and hummus!

Michelle Roebuck

Funny… For several years, I’ve had an idea for a novel in which the two main characters inherit a farm from their uncle on which he grew (among other things) AMARANTH! Yeah, I discovered the stuff a while back, but I haven’t really experimented much with it. I think I may have popped some once, though… The grains are soooo tiny! I’m constantly looking for a chip/cracker alternative that will satisfy me and my little hummus-devouring minions – this one’s looking like a good contender. And kiwi in a salsa fresca? Sounds muy bueno to me!

Anna

Really great! I have an open package too (made popped amaranth).
I will make these chips this weekend :) Do you know how long these can be kept fresh (means crispy) I’m thinking about giving them away as present. By the way: Love your blog! Greetings from Germany

Katy @ Katy's Kitchen

I actually saw these chips on Angela’s blog when she posted about making them with you. I’ve been meaning to try them since then but haven’t gotten around to them yet. I’m stuck on Mary’s crackers- they’re addictive! I still have some amaranth though, and it’s too hot for porridge so I’m sure they’ll happen soon. :)

Candace

Wow! You are amazing Leanne. I have a huge bag of amaranth that I didn’t know what to do with!

Make these chips… and pop the rest! Popped amaranth is the bees knees. I could live on the stuff ;)

Alison

So happy I saw this post today! I’m living fat-free right now, and i really want some kind of crunchy cracker. Thank you!!

Sonnet

And you’ve done it again… another recipe that I know I’m going to be majorly addicted to! These look amazing! :)

Lisa

Thanks for the recipe.
Good thing its Friday, I will try it this weekend.

Hoping that you liked the chips, Lisa :)

Natalie Bowman

OMG! I LOVE amaranth and this recipe is so creative. I cannot wait to try it! Thank you for sharing :)

char eats greens

These sounds awesome. I don’t know if I’ve ever used amaranth before…might be a good time to start ;).

Celeste

I’ll have to give a try, I have some amaranth on hand, because I really can’t stomach corn tortilla chips very well.
Thanks

Katie

Hey Leanne,
Do you think you could make these with millet? I’ve never really had either or so I’m not sure if they are close enough the same or not. I’m really excited to see these though as I can’t have corn either and I sure miss those tasty corn chips! Thanks for the great recipe!

Hi Katie! I’m not too sure on using millet in place of amaranth. They’re both really, really different and the recipe works well because of the stickiness of amaranth. If you give it a try, though, I’d love to hear how it went for you!

Lesley

I made these yesterday. The lightness and airiness of the crackers really surprised me. They were like eating potato chips. I(that’s a good thing). I made the first batch doing the circles like you did, but got lazy and did the rest by putting the amaranth on a silicone mat and covering it with plastic wrap. Then I rolled it out with a rolling pin until very thin, pulled off the plastic and baked it the same way. It peeled of the mat and I broke it into pieces. Were not uniform like the round ones but easier. They’re both good!

I was wondering if that strategy would work! Well done, Lesley! I’m so very happy that you liked them :)