How to Juice

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on April 5, 2013

Green Juice630

Our community has grown into something quite fabulous. There is so much creativity, love and bombastic brilliance in each and every one of you!

So, every other Friday, I’ll be inviting Healthful Pursuit readers; readers just like you, to share their stories, health tips and recipes here on the blog. From how to juice, to steps on switching to a plant-based lifestyle, the importance of meal planning, how to make healthy snacks… this Power Posse series is going to ROCK your little socks off.

Want to join the Power Posse and share your genius with our community? You don’t have to be a blogger, or even in the online space. If you’re passionate about health and have something to share, I’d love to have you. Send me a message and lets chat about it.

POWER POSSE POST BY SONNET LAUBERTH

Hi everyone,

I’m so excited to be here today sharing some of the ways that I take care of myself and my health on a daily basis. My name is Sonnet and I write the blog For The Love of Food, which is focused on fresh, seasonal, plant-based recipes are great for you while tasting amazing! Some of you might remember me from my Chocolate Kale Chips that I shared with Leanne awhile back.

As a holistic health coach and seasonal foods educator, one of the struggles I hear from my clients the most is how challenging it is to eat enough vegetables every day. Can you relate to this?

I’m a bit of a veggie fanatic as it is, but incorporating a fresh vegetable juice into my daily routine has helped me to get more veggies into my diet, which in turn has dramatically boosted my energy and helped me to feel my best. If you are looking to improve your health, I believe that juicing is one of the best things that you can do for yourself.

Bok Choy Juice 630

Let’s start with some important benefits:

• Drinking fresh vegetable juice allows you to consume more fresh fruits and vegetables, which we all know are full of good things like vitamins, minerals, and (since you are consuming them raw) beneficial enzymes.
  • Fresh juice is also loaded with antioxidants that bind to toxins and help remove them from the body. This makes fresh juice especially fabulous for anyone looking to increase their energy and detox their system.
  • Fresh vegetable juice is very alkalizing, meaning that it helps to restore the body to its proper pH and  assist the body in detoxing. Many of the foods we eat on a daily basis cause the body to be too acidic (e.g. sugar, fried foods, bread, alcohol, too many animal products, etc) and this acidity builds up over time causing inflammation and creating stress for our organs and tissues. On the other hand, eating fresh, alkaline-forming foods (like vegetables) help to strengthen the body and keep it healthy.
  • Since the juicer extracts the insoluable fiber from the fruits and veggies, fresh juice is very easy on the digestive track (making it perfect for anyone with digestive issues) and it makes the nutrients easy to absorb. Plus, since your digestive system doesn’t have to expend as much energy to break down juice, your body can spend that energy on healing your cells.

I began juicing in 2007 when I started working at an organic, raw juice bar and that experience changed my life. Over the next two years, I transitioned from eating the Standard American Diet (with way too much sugar and processed foods) to a plant-based diet focusing on fresh, seasonal, and whole foods. I found that the key to changing my diet and improving my own health was to focus on adding fresh foods, rather than subtracting the “bad” ones.

This focus on adding instead of subtracting is one of reasons why many of my clients have been so successful at creating their own daily juicing habit. As you add more fresh and whole foods into your diet, your tastebuds naturally start to crave “bad” foods less. It’s like magic!

Are you ready to get started with juicing? Let’s talk about the next steps!

Carrot Juice 630

1. How to juice?

When you are first getting into juicing, I would recommend either visiting a local juice bar (if you have one available in your town/city) or buying a cheaper juicer model. Juicers can range from $50 to $500 depending on the model and brand. Most people do not need to invest several hundred dollars into a fancy juicer if they are just getting started, especially since you can always invest in a better model if you need to later on. (I also talk about picking the best juicer for you more in this post.)

I often get questions from clients and readers asking about the juice that’s sold pre-bottled in grocery stores. This isn’t the same thing as fresh juice because as juice sits, it begins to oxidize and loses nutrients. If you want the best bang for your buck, skip the bottle and head to your local juice bar or juice it yourself!

2. What to juice?

For daily juicing, I recommend drinking 100% vegetable juice or including low-sugar fruits in your juice, such as green apples, lemon, lime, berries, and grapefruit. Since juicing extracts the insoluable fiber, this makes the natural sugars in fruit absorb more quickly causing your blood sugar to spike. And since juice is easy to drink (compared to eating the fruit or vegetable), it’s very easy to consume more sugar than you realize by drinking fruit juice.

Of course, if you are new to juicing or are drinking juice as a treat, it’s really fun to add fruit to mix it up a bit.  When you are just getting started, you might want to try adding half of a sweet fruit (like pears or red apples), then switching to low-sugar fruits as you get used to the taste. You can also “sweeten” your juice by including naturally-sweet vegetables like beets and carrots. You’ll find a variety of juice recipes at the end of this post for some healthy inspiration!

Fresh juice is very alkalizing and detoxifying and most people can get the benefits without going on an extreme juice cleanse. I always recommend adding juice to your existing diet, instead of using it as a meal replacement. This helps to prevent any “detox” symptoms like headaches or body aches and makes juicing much more doable for the average person. You also don’t have to drink juice every day; even drinking juice 2 – 3 times a week will make a big difference!

3. When to juice?

I like to drink my juice first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. This helps to awaken my digestive system gently and it also means that all of the nutrients from the juice can go straight into my cells since my body is not focusing energy on digesting a meal. It also helps me to be consistent in my juicing routine because I have made juicing part of my morning routine.

If the morning doesn’t work for your schedule, then find the best time that works for you. It’s more important that you are able to incorporating juicing into your day in a stress-free manner than falling off the juicing wagon because it doesn’t work for your schedule.

So let’s get juicing!

Mojito Green Juice630

Here are a few of my favorite juice recipes:

• Ginger Carrot Orange Goodness
    • This juice is perfect for beginners because it’s a sweet and spicy combination that is fabulous for easing into juicing. I love the natural sweetness from the oranges and carrots and it’s a perfect combo with the healing powers of ginger!
  • Mojito Juice
    • Can you think of anything more fabulous than a healthy green juice that tastes like a cocktail? This green juice is a mild choice for beginners and it can be made sweeter by adding fruit if desired.
  • Love Your Liver Juice
    • I love this juice for its sweet, earthy taste and its health benefits specifically aimed at the liver. The liver is the most important organ for metabolism and detoxification so if you are looking to lose weight and clean up your system, this juice is for you!
  • Mean Green Juice
    • This juice is perfect for intermediate juicers who are looking for a fresh-tasting juice with an edge. I love the mellow flavor from the cucumber combined with the zing from the ginger and green bell pepper.
  • The Flu Buster
    • I’m not going to lie: this juice is intense and is definitely recommended for the intermediate to advanced juicer. This juice isn’t one of my typical daily juices, but I love it for boosting my immune system and helping to ward colds off or decrease their duration.

I hope this inspires you to get started on your own juicing journey or to strengthen your current juicing routine!

Sonnet 350Author Bio: Sonnet Lauberth is a holistic health coach, food educator, blogger, and writer with a passion for helping people lead fuller, healthier lives. Visit her food blog, For The Love of Food, for seasonal, plant-based recipes and tips on sustainable, healthy living.

Connect with Sonnet…

Facebook: For The Love of Food

Twitter: @SonnetLauberth

Pinterest: SonnetLauberth

Email: For The Love of Food Newsletter

Now it’s your turn…

If you are new to juicing: what fruits and veggies are you most excited to try in a juice?

And for you advanced juicers: what are your favorite juice combinations?

Your experiences will likely inspire others in our community to give juicing a shot. Time to let your brilliance shine in the comments below!

I just did a 3 day juice cleanse and posted about it last week! Love this post and all your juice ideas. I love juices, I just don’t like juicing. The cleanup. Oh boy.

Your Ginger Carrot Orange Goodness sounds fab! So does the Liver/Beet. I love beets!

Christa @Edible Balance

Ohhh, I just did a 3-day juice cleanse last week too! I absolutely loved it, especially because I had it delivered to my door, no clean up! :)

Amen to all of the above! I’m huge into juicing and if I could afford all the produce, would have a green juice at every meal! My fave ingredients include kale, apples, beets, and LOTS of ginger!

Ally @ Om Nom Ally

I LOVE fresh veggie juices and I really want to buy a powerful juicer soon. Currently I make smoothies and pass them through a nutmilk bag if I want to drink something pulp free. It’s not quite the same :(
Love the article, I found myself nodding along to everything you wrote – and drooling over that Mojito Juice! My favourite ever combo would have to be apple, kale, ginger and carrot, I never, ever get sick of it,

The Power Posse feature sounds really excited, can’t wait to see all the posts every Friday :)

I have never had a fresh juice or juiced myself, but I would love to get a juicer one day!

Amanda

I tried a three day cleanse and fell short at the end because I smashed a juice on the floor in a mason jar and made a huge mess. Anyways, I was missing my homemade cashew milk which was not only my beloved (I make it from time to time now as a treat) but my third day was really hard and without that cashew milk, and I ended up eating that last afternoon. I loved how I felt overall, but I want to try it again without a doubt when the weather is warmer and I can go out for walks (it was a blizzard when I did it here and I felt like my body was mad at me!). I love putting in lots of green things! My dad has a beautiful garden full of huge fresh herb plants and tons of spinach I couldn’t get through last summer. This year I have requested beets and spinach and swiss chard. I am looking forward to juicing the herbs with the vegetables to help not waste the beautiful organic produce he makes!

Leanne! I LOVE this power posse things! I would love to do it, you are so inspiring, and I would love to be a part of this, I just don’t know what I have to post about (kind of sad considering I graduate with a nutrition degree shortly)!

Keep up the wonderful work & juice on!

Elise Lin

What a great interview, it’s always nice to find more information about healthy eating! I got a blender/chopper for my birthday last year so it would be easier to have more vegetables. It’s not the same to make smoothies (I have one several times a week and eat lots of vegetable soups now), but at least it’s a step in the good direction. Maybe for my next birthday I could ask for a juicer.

Shannon

I don’t have a juicer. What would happen if I blended everything instead and may strained the pulp? I really don’t want another kitchen appliance….

Hi Shannon – I used to do that and it worked okay but I found a lot was wasted. I’d just stick with smoothies so you get all the good stuff!

AmandaonMaui

What was wasted? I find that there is more waste in juicing because of the loss of the fiber.

Hi Amanda – when you’re trying to make juice from your blender, squeezing out the juice from the pulp manually makes for more waste. In my experience anyways!

AmandaonMaui

Oh! Okay, I gotcha. I don’t squeeze out the pulp. I like the fiber in my diet. :)

francesca

Ditto, I don’t have a juicer but make veggie smoothies with my blender instead. Besides not having as much flexibility in the veggies used (can’t really do hard veggies), what are the other advantages that a juiced drink has over a smoothie?

It depends on what you’re going for, Francesca. I use juices to get as much nutrients through my body as quickly as possible, whereas smoothies are great for bulk. Both are equally as fantastic, though!

Christa @Edible Balance

Oh the love I have for green juice! I’ve been making one every morning this week with swiss chard, cucumber, fennel, half a small apple and a good chunk of ginger… Heavenly! I’m not a fan of anything too sweet, so I use very little if any fruit. The best start to my day after hot lemon water :)

Christina

I did a 3-day juice fast with my dad a couple months ago. It went really well and I felt great. I would recommend adding citrus to your juices (especially green juices). I added a whole lemon (zest, seeds and all) to our juice and it was really delicious. We used Breville 700-Watt – the same juicer model that was used in the documentary Fat Sick and Nearly Dead.

Peggy

My husband has been all about juicing lately and just ends up throwing a bunch of stuff in there and seeing what he can come up with. I’ll definitely forward this to him so he’s a little more “structured” lol

stacy

My favourite go to juice is: 1/4 bunch of cilantro, 1/2 cucumber, 4 oranges peeled, 1-2 lemons unpeeled, 4 carrots. I juice in the order listed. So refreshing!!
Leanne I love this power posse!!!

stacy

Oops, I forgot that I also add 1/2-1″ of ginger before carrots

stacy

I know someone posted that the clean up from juicing is terrible. I have an Omega 8006 masticating juicer, it is quick and easy to assemble/disassemble & I can just rinse quickly with tap water. It was totally worth the $350 I paid.

Tanja

I tried juicing about a year ago after being inspired by the movie, ” Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead” initially I felt really great but found I had no energy in my legs while running. My feet were always cold and sometimes tingly?. It was weird so I stopped juicing. At the time I was eating mainly vegan as well. Different people told me I may have been depleting my magnesium, not eating enough protein etc. I’d love to juice again but am traing for a race so I’m sceptical to feel that way again.

Wow, very interesting. I’ve never heard of that, Tanja. Makes a bit of sense with the magnesium. If you try it again, I’d love to know how it goes for you. Thanks for stopping by!

Hannah

This is SO so helpful.
Thank you!

Jennifer S

I’ve grown to love juicing…still hate the cleanup, but it’s had such an amazing affect on my health! My daily dose of green juice has helped restore my body to a more alkaline state after battling with sugar addiction and Candida for more than 10 years. My favorite combo is kale, spinach, ginger, romaine, parsley, celery and lemon with a bit of coconut water instead of fruit to get rid of some of the bitterness.

Gretchen

Lately my favorite juicing combo is a base of cucumber with apple, pineapple, and parsley…I can’t get enough!!!

Jenna

I also have a blender but no juicer. Is a green smoothie different from juice?

Hi Jenna – It is different, yes. The smoothies will contain all of the fiber, blended. Whereas the juice will have all of the fiber removed. Both are equally fantastic so if a blender is all you have, you can find some great smoothie recipes here on the blog under this page: http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/drinks/ Hope that helps, Jenna!

soshy

Hi Leanne or anyone here!
I just got gifted a very expensive juicer..i have never taken an interest in it because of being a recovering diet addict:) That being said i am curious to try using this very expensive looking beauty piece. Here are a couple of ???? i am having..Can someone educate me..ideally Leanne:)
1)I eat 2 huge salads a day that actually fill me up really nicely..so If i add a juice with veggies inside is that going to take away from 2 lovely meals that i am all ready enjoying..meaning i wont want my veggies because i am filled up from this juice stuff?
2) i cant make juice first thing in the morning because its to loud and my man is sleeping in the bedroom. Can i make it the night before and possibly have it next morning or is it to late?
3) Whats the cheapest route of a juice for one time? I cant afford to eat a bunch of kale in one sitting or 3 apples in one sitting thats waaaay out of my price range to do something i am not even sure i wanna do.
4) I love my breakfast meal with coffee..Its a time of relaxation and quiet time for me so i dont know if i wanna replace that with juice..What other time of the day would be a nice time to juice?
Lots of love!

Sarah

I’m new to the idea of juicing. I guess I’m just not sure why it’s better than blending veggies/fruits and keeping the fiber, other than it being easier on the digestive track. Any thoughts on juicing vs. blending, everyone?

soshy

My fiance has really terrible seasonal allergies and i am wondering what would be the best juice for him???to help with his allergies..Does anyone have any good recipes i can make him?

Cindy

I read somewhere that when juicing, you’re not supposed to combine vegetables and fruits together except for maybe an apple w/ your greens. Have you heard this and what’s the reasoning behind it?

Hi Cindy – I haven’t heard of this… interesting though. I do it ALL the time! Would love to learn more about this. Just Googled it and couldn’t find anything.

Novice

It’s called culinary coupling or food combining

Laura

The Ginger Carrot Orange Goodness is delicious! I was hesitant to try it because I am not a huge fan of ginger, but I have found that I look forward to drinking it each morning. Thank you!

HowToJuice

Hi-hi :)! Try this:
“Sweet Cranberry Zing” (Hamilton Beach Juicer Recipes)
1/4-inch slice fresh ginger
1/2 cup cranberries
1 1/2 cups white grapes
(Sugar to taste)
Juice ginger first, then cranberries, then grapes. Add sugar to juice if needed.
Bon apetit :)

Katie @ figgyandsprout

I’m a huge fan of juicing, this blog and For The Love of Food – so seeing all of these in one post was just delightful :)

I have made it a personal goal of mine this year to add more green juices and smoothies into my daily routine. I have noticed a tremendous difference in my energy levels and skin tone. I’m hooked for life now. This is such a great post to people starting out with juicing – I wish I would have known these things when I first started juicing 3 years ago. Thanks for the great post!

Also, I would love to join in the Power Posse! I’ll send you an email, Leanne ;)

Ellen

I am new in juicing i would like to know more i don’t know where to start from. My juicer just arrived yesterday.

Hopefully these tips along with all the other juice recipes on Healthful Pursuit will help you in your journey! Have fun, Ellen!

Sherry

I have a Vitamix 3600. I bought it 30+ years ago and only used it a few times until now. I’ve been using it a couple times daily for the past week to make smoothies. I love using it. It is so easy to clean and it takes whole carrots, whole celery stalks, and other large pieces of fruit and vegetables. Very little cutting needed. I’m not real fond of vegetables but have been adding a little fruit and surprisingly, enjoying them. I actually look forward to my daily creations. I have increased energy and improved skin tone. I am also eating meat as I am a meat lover. Without meat I seem to be hungry all the time. I tried the Sleepy Banana Muffin Smoothie. Wow! I was impressed. It actually tastes like a banana muffin, even the right consistency. I’m looking forward to the future.

Allie

Hi Leanne,

I’m newer to juicing and through everything I’ve read, I have not seen anything about when to drink your juice. I read that you drink your juice first thing in the morning and that sounds great! But….is juicing a meal replacement? I tried a juice cleanse where all I had one weekend was juices, but it left me starving! I just started to drink juice as a mid-morning juice, after breakfast, but before lunch, and I feel so full, I can’t eat lunch. Is that a good thing? I always have a mid-afternoon snack, like a peice of fruit, so I’m not worried about being hungry later. I just want to know, is juicing supposed to be a meal replacement? The recipes I have yield 12-14 ounces each. Please help! Thank you!!! =)

Hi Allie! I use my juices as meal replacements, yes. If I have a big juice, I am generally not hungry for a couple of hours. That, or I have it as a snack. My favorite time of the day to drink juice is in the morning (to warm up my digestion!) Or, right before bed. Definitely, if all you drink is juice for 3 days or so, you’re bound to get a little hungry. I’d say you were cleansing for sure! I hope that helps :)

Candice

Hello!

I’ve just got a cold pressed juicer. I am pregnant and don’t get my five fruit and vege a day so I thought this would be a great way to do it. I will be drinking my juice in the morning, but am stuck as to what to have for breakfast if I am still hungry. What would you recommend?

Thanks!

Hi Candice – awesome to drink in the morning. However, if you’re pregnant you may want to switch things up a little by having breakfast, then use juice as a snack. A light breakfast, around 300 calories should do the trick. My Quinoa Flake Bakes are a big hit, just Google, “Healthful Pursuit Quinoa Flake Bake” and you’ll get lots of recipes!