Grain-free Chocolate Dessert Crackers

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on March 4, 2013

Chocolate-Crackers

Hey guys… do you crave chocolate?

You know, like really crave chocolate?

So bad that; by the time you’ve come to your senses, you’ve managed to polish off half a bar of chocolate by nibbling on it throughout the day?

Gosh, I’ve been there.

This mindless pattern of eating can spark loads of guilt, regret and unhealthy mind chatter about ourselves… but it doesn’t have to be this way.

You can indulge in your cravings in a healthy way so that you feel good about what you are putting in your body and liberated from those self-hate, restrictive, yucky thoughts.

Chocolate-Dessert-Crackers2w636

Are you ready to transform your chocolate cravings into something that feels good?

Once you’re done checking out the recipe I’d love to here from you -

1. What do you do when you’ve over eaten something or indulged in a food that you’ve been trying to avoid?
  2. How do you indulge in your cravings in a healthy way?

Chocolate Dessert Crackers (39)

To print, email or text this recipe, click here.

4.1 from 7 reviews

Grain-free Chocolate Dessert Crackers
Author:
Allergens: Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free, Nut-free, Egg-free
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 15

Give in to your chocolate cravings in a healthy way with these high fiber, grain-free dessert crackers! Each serving is less than 100 calories and squashes any chocolate craving that comes your way.
  • 1 cup sliced banana – approx. 2 small bananas
  • 2 tablespoons grape seed oil
  • ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1½ cup roughly ground flax seed
  • 6 tablespoons carob or cocoa powder
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • Pinch sea salt
  • 1 oz. melted gluten-free and dairy-free carob or chocolate chips
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 225F and take out two large baking sheets. Set aside.
  2. Mash banana with oil and extract until fully broken down and soupy. Set aside.
  3. Add flax seed, carob powder, cinnamon and salt to a separate bowl and whisk to combine.
  4. Add banana mixture to dry mixture and stir with a spoon until everything is combined well. The dough will be very firm, like cookie dough.
  5. Transfer to a large bowl.
  6. Grab a piece of parchment paper about 10 inches wide. Scoop ½ cup of the cracker dough, roll it between your hands to make a ball, then place on one side of the parchment, in the middle.
  7. Fold over the parchment (like a book) and then roll the dough between the two pieces of parchment until it’s about ¼-inch thick. Fold away the top half and cut or rip it away. Score the crackers into 1-inch cubes. Keeping the crackers on their current sheet of parchment, transfer the sheet to a baking sheet and repeat.
  8. Bake for 2 hours, flipping halfway through and removing the parchment paper. The baking time will vary greatly on how thick/thin you make the crackers. You want the end result to be crisp, crunchy with no moisture left.
  9. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for 15 minutes.
  10. Drizzle with melted carob or chocolate and allow to set for 30 minutes.
  11. Makes 75 crackers, 5 crackers per serving.
Notes
I have been told that these types of grain-free crackers can be made with no oil. To do this, replace the 2 tbsp of oil with 2 tbsp of water. I have not tested this and cannot confirm that this will work.
If you are allergic to banana, you could try making my apple grain-free crackers and replacing the sunflower seeds with carob or cocoa powder.

View nutrition information

Chocolate-Dessert-Crackers2

The bananas in this recipe act as a natural oil in this recipe so I didn’t have to use much oil at all. As I mentioned in the notes of the recipe, if you’re sensitive to bananas, you could try my grain-free apple crackers instead.

Chocolate-Dessert-Crackers

Once the banana is nicely mashed, you can add the dry ingredients and begin mixing your little heart out. The dough will be a similar consistency to cookie dough, so you may have to get your hands dirty.

Chocolate-Dessert-Crackers4

This dough is quite phenomenal. It can be cut and molded, rolled… and there are no grains! Ha!

Chocolate-Dessert-Crackers5

When your crackers are done, let them cool, drizzle with chocolate, and enjoy with a light heart!

To learn more about your connection to chocolate and what your cravings could be telling you, check out this chocolate cravings post that I posted on the blog a couple of years ago.

I am committed to helping you succeed on your path to wellness and that’s why I need you to commit to sharing this recipe with 3 of your friends. You could even try out the new floating social share widget on the left of this post that we’ve added to make sharing my work easier! ;)

Genius idea! Reminds me of some crackers I made years ago…that were grainfree and just seeds AND a raw banana crepe dehydrator creation. I was never smart enough to use chocolate. You got it all going in these. Love them!

Man, I wish I had the patience to use my dehydrator more… your crackers sound great!

Chris

Yummo! I’m thinking I might try to replace the banana with pureed zucchini, as I am allergic to banana. Think it will work?

Liz

As Leanne noted in the post, you could use her apple cracker recipe subbing in cocoa for the sun seeds. I’ll defer to her on this, Chris, but I don’t think zucchini would be an adequate substitution here. The banana, I believe is not only there for binding & texture but for sweetness, as well. The zucchini has a much higher water content than the banana, so, if that’s what you choose, I’d use less of it so you don’t get a soggy dough. But, personally, I think sweet potato would be a better sub, or, if you have any on hand, pumpkin puree. Even pureed winter squash would work, but not everyone has a few stashed away like me so long after the season. :)

I would use the ratios for the apple crackers and add cocoa powder. They are going to taste pretty weird without any sweetener though…

Jennifer S

Wow! These look so delicious AND I have all the ingredients on hand! So excited to try this recipe. Thx for being such a food genius!

Oh. my. gawwwwwwsh how did you not call me up right away and tell me about these?!?! They look amazing!! I’m kinda thinking that the next time you and Kevin go camping these need to be packed so you can smash a nice toasty marshmallow in between!

Evan

Wow, extremely creative! I could see so many different uses for these.

Someone mentioned using them as crackers for s’mores. Definitely going to be trying that! You’re right, they are so versatile.

Michelle

When I’ve over-eaten or indulged in something and start experiencing the associated guilt, I use a stress-relief method called tapping to alleviate the immediate self-defeating thoughts. Then, when I can look at things more clearly, I follow-up by trying to understand what may have caused the desire to over-eat: boredom/mindlessness, thirst, anxiety, or that I just haven’t indulged in a healthy way in a while.

When I manage to be mindful about indulging my cravings, I usually find that taking care of it as soon as possible is the best solution. I’m FAR less likely to overindulge and it seems like I can then go longer without feeling the urge at all. For a long time, my two weirdest cravings were for corned beef hash and liverwurst. I think I had hash once last year and decided then that if I ever had it again, it would be because I’d made it from scratch using pastured beef. Liverwurst is around two or three years gone from my diet, though I’d consider it if I was in Germany and it came from a world-class establishment because I do rather enjoy it.

Holly

Half a bar of chocolate? Try the whole thing! :)

This is an incredible idea and such a simple list of ingredients. I’m totally going to try it the next time I have a chocolate craving!

haha I was being modest for sure. Glad I’m not the only one!

Kathy

That looks amazing!!! I like to indulge in my cravings by making soft serve in my food processor with frozen bananas, strawberries, a little bit of cashew butter, a splash of almond milk and a square of dark chocolate:)

Jan

When I overindulge, I make myself feel better by counteracting the bad with some good…some vegetables juiced, or a green smoothie. Problem solved and I’m back to where I started.
I find I’m an all or nothing kind of person. Either go for it, or don’t. Maybe I’m afraid if I get started, I won’t know when to stop?
I do treat myself with a square or two of a vegan dark choc., but it’s not a regular thing. Even thinking of a granola for breakfast, I think once I get that sweet taste in the morning, I’ll want more sweets throughout the day.
Great recipe for treats, though. Easter is coming!

I LOVE that tactic, Jan. Great approach. Thanks for sharing it with our little community :)

Julia

Freaking amazing idea! I have all the ingredients, totally making them today!!!

julie

Any idea what I could use instead of a banana?? I cant eat them, thanks!!

Hey Julie – I mentioned in the recipe… you sure CAN omit the banana by following my apple cracker recipe and just add cocoa powder instead of the ground sunflower seeds. Hope that helps!

Emily

these look great, but i can’t have flax (and it’s used all the time in allergy-free cooking & baking). is there anything i could use instead or should i just leave it out altogether?

Eak. It’s at the heart and soul of this recipe. I don’t think it would work perfectly with anything else. You could try grinding up a bunch of different seeds and nuts to the equivalent of the ground flax. Great to know that there are people allergic to flax out there. I’ll definitely keep that in mind for the next time I make a batch of crackers for the blog!

Emily

yep, it’s incredibly difficult sometimes. i also can’t have corn, potato, peanut, millet and chia. i’m not allergic to the chia, but my body is not happy when i consume it!

Yes, that would be a challenge, but nothing a little creativity can’t fix up! I was thinking about you this morning… and I bet that you could make chocolate crackers out of this recipe: http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2013/02/dairy-free-shaved-parmesan-cheese-nut-free/ you could replace the yeast with cocoa powder and the flax with extra ground seeds and then the lemon juice with a liquid sweetener. Yes, I think this just may work!

Emily

Thanks for the recipe, Leanne! I’m going to make it this weekend. My husband’s very excited over the idea of chocolate crackers :)

Beth

These look fantastic! When I finish my 4-week elimination challenge, this is going to be the first thing I make! I think I can do the apple pie ones in the meantime, though. :)

Hey Beth – are you doing the elimination diet for allergies? Good on you! I’d love to hear how it goes for you!

Beth

Thanks! I’m doing it after some testing showed food sensitivities. The ones with the highest sensitivities are tea (gasp! I drink herbal tea constantly!), cinnamon (again, gasp!), avocado, mushroom, spinach, oregano, rye, turkey (I’m already vegan, so no worries there) and brewer’s yeast. I’ve started probiotics and may start on cat’s claw. Your blog is really helpful!

These look soooo indulgent but sooo healthy! Genius, Leanne! I still have a bit of a hard time with guilt. I’m not really sure how to overcome it because I don’t know the root of why I eat bad things sometimes. I’m definitely going to have to make these crackers soon though:)

Also, I wanted to ask you: I recently heard from someone that there are a lot of health risks associated with raw cacao. They said it is toxic? Do you know anything about this?

Hmm interesting… I don’t know enough about it to comment, really. Do you remember where you read it?

I actually heard it from another blogger. I asked her to elaborate because she just briefly mentioned it, but she never did.

Interesting… well, if you ever do hear back from her, let me know! Because this is totally new news to me!

Dayanna

this look UNREAL! I don’t know about half a bar polished off throughout the day .. but when the moment is right it’s more like “who just ate my entire chocolate bar?!” :P

bahaha yes… I’ve blamed Kevin SO many times for that very thing :)

Jan @ J Cooks Healthy

Wow these look good! I love how creative your recipes are :)

Thanks Jan!

amanda

mmmm, I am a chocolate Fanatic! I could technically eat chocolate all day every day but I don’t because I would feel horrible. What I LOVE about these is the cracker part, I enjoy chocolate bars with crunch, so this would hit the spot!

Dana

I’m with everyone above who said “ONLY half a chocolate bar?” Haha. I love me some high-quality chocolate, so these crackers look delicious!

I was actually working on a post about food and guilt when I received this recipe notification, so it will tie in perfectly. I’m planning to share this recipe (and your blog in general) over there when the new post is up. Keep up the great work!

Wow, thank you so much for the feature, Dana. I’d love to see it when it goes live!

Sylvia Perez

amazing!!! I can’t wait to try and share with my roommates :)

Shel@PeachyPalate

Amazing recipe! Have to give them a try!

caiti

these look soo healthy and good!! gonna try them for sure.

Jennifer

These look amazing. I have ground golden flaxmeal on hand. Do you think that could be used instead of the roughly ground flax?

Totally it will, Jennifer! Enjoy!

Laura

I just made these and they are wonderful. I left mine a little on the thick side so they were a bit more cakey than crackery but wonderful nonetheless. I I don’t feel guilty about going back for more! Thanks for this!

Stephanie

YUM. Now I know what I’ll be snacking on this weekend :-) Could the grapeseed oil be replaced with another kind of oil?

Yup, any oil will do the trick :)

Rachel

what about dates in place of banana. i have made some “cookie like” crackers with dates, cocoa powder and ground pecans, but they are a bit chewy. i never thought about using banana…i am excited to try this one, i have been looking for a recipe just like this…i am curious why you add chocolate chips in there at the end though, they are loaded with sugar!! i do not eat a drop of that stuff :P

Carla

Made ‘em. Had to add coconut sugar because they were so boring. Can’t decide if it’s supposed to be a cookie or a cracker. Either way, I wouldn’t make them again. RECIPE FAIL.

I’m sorry that you didn’t like them, Carla.

Kelsey

Just put these in the oven… I pretty much butchered the recipe though: I didn’t have enough flax seeds so I did 1/2 cup flax seeds, 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, 1/2 cup sesame seeds. Also don’t have grapeseed oil so I just used melted coconut oil. The dough itself is great, so I imagine the cracker will be better! A brownie-like taste. I bet Carla’s bananas needed to be more ripe, I taste the banana sweetness in my batter!! Will try with correct ingredients next time, but definitely a keeper!

Kelsey

replied to say: The crackers are awesome when done. I slathered a little vanilla ice cream on them (oops!) and they’re amazing. I imagine some nut butter would be a good topping as well.