Vegan Chocolate Pudding (Soy-free, Nut-free)

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on February 8, 2013

cqn5vz9p

I had every intention of coming up with a bunch of Valentine’s Day recipes for you, but wouldn’t you know it, the big day is next week and I’m just getting my head into the Valentine’s Day dairy-free recipes zone.

Since getting back from New York last week, I’ve been in a frenzy to finish the last half of the recipes for my cookbook.

Yes, a Healthful Pursuit cookbook! And it’s not just any cookbook… it’s a grain-free, vegan dessert e-cookbook loaded with healthy dessert recipes and grain-free concepts that you’ve never seen on the blog, or anywhere for that matter. It has limited nut recipes, everything is soy-free, refined sugar-free… it’s going to be crazy good.

Stay tuned for more information in the weeks to come…

But for now, let’s eat dairy-free pudding, shall we?

Vegan-Chocolate-Pudding3

To print, email or text this recipe, click here.

4.3 from 7 reviews

Vegan Chocolate Pudding (Soy-free, Nut-free)
Author:
Allergens: Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free, Nut-free, Egg-free
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 4

A dairy-free pudding with just 5 ingredients. Velvety smooth, rich, and only 200 calories per serving. You wont believe that it’s made with beans!
Instructions
  1. Place beans and milk in the bowl of your food processor or blender and puree until ultra smooth, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
  2. Place chocolate, coconut sugar and salt in the bowl of your double boiler. If you don’t have a double boiler, just place in a metal or glass dish over a boiling pot of water. Allow chocolate to melt, about 5 minutes.
  3. Remove chocolate from the heat and stir in navy bean mixture. Continue to whisk for 2-3 minutes.
  4. Pour into 4 cups, glasses or jars and serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and cool in the fridge for a couple of hours. Will keep for 3 days in the fridge.

View nutrition information

Vegan Chocolate Pudding (115)

Don’t worry… I wouldn’t have put beans in here if I felt it really didn’t work in this recipe. Navy beans are especially silky and smooth, perfect for this pudding!

Just look at that pour shot. Nothing but velvety goodness here, friends.

Vegan Chocolate Pudding (100)

Once the chocolate is melted with the sugar, add your “cream” and whisk!

Vegan-Chocolate-Pudding

Pour into random cups, jars, or tealight holders. I LOVE these for desserts – they’re cheaper than glasses and they’re a perfect portion size.

You can either eat the pudding warm if you’re into that kinda thing, or cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge. Best part is, this pudding doesn’t develop pudding skin. Yay!

Vegan Chocolate Pudding (2)-2

This grain-free, vegan dessert cookbook is for you. If there are recipes you’d love to see in it, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below.

Melissa

Ohhh that’s such exciting news. Can’t wait till its out. Anything with chocolate in it will make me happy – including this pudding. Yum

I’m the same way, put chocolate on it and I’m ready to go!

Yippeeee! You already know this, but i’m so excited for this cookbook to come out! And this is almost eerie, but I happen to have an enormous bag of navy beans sitting right in my kitchen cupboard, and I boiled up a bunch to keep in the fridge as a quick protein source throughout the week. Now I think I’ve got other plans for them…. ;)

Amanda @ Run Principessa

I am so excited for this e-cookbook! It’s going to be brilliant, I can tell. My boyfriend loves pudding and has been asking for it constantly. Hello Valentine’s Day. ;)

Aw thanks, Amanda! I’m happy that you’re pumped for it, too!

Michelle

Congratulations in your new cookbook. Can’t wait to get it. Love your blog!

Thanks Michelle :)

Karen

Wow! Incredible shot! So happy for your cookbook! Congrats Leanne!

Lori

Excited for the cookbook – I know it is a lot of hard work! This pudding looks very yummy. I have a similar recipe using lentils I will have to post. Can’t wait to try your version.

Question – you list it as 4 servings but instructions state to pour into 6 cups. Is the nutrition info for 4 or 6 servings?

Good catch, Lori! 4 cups, 4 servings.

Michelle

In. Total. Awe. Navy bean chocolate pudding?!? I’m so there!!! Thanks for astonishing me once again. :D

I was pretty blown away when I tried it earlier this week. It definitely wont be the last time I throw navy beans in a dessert! They are SO creamy!

Kari

So excited for your cookbook!!!!

Cara

How exciting! Can’t wait to check out your book :)

barb

This looks so good, but I’m so on the fence regarding beans. How come people say they are a good source of protein? I just looked them up, and half a cup of cooked white beans is 125 cal, 23 grams of carb and 8 grams of protein. So, that’s 3 times as much carb as protein. I would consider them a carb source, not a protein source. That being said, I know they have lots of fiber and low in fat, Whenever I eat beans I feel so full that I can’t much of anything else, so I tend to stay away. And trying to lose weight as well…too many carbs don’t really work well in that regard for me.

Hey Barb – they’re great as a combo with other ingredients, like as a topper on a salad, my favorite way to enjoy them! They are higher in carbs, but like you mentioned, they keep you full for a long time which has been shown to aid in weight loss.. Hope that helps!

Amanda

Grain Free (paleo friendly) Tiramisu!!!!

Ohhh that’s a good one! I’ll try it out :)

Chef Amber Shea

Exciting news about the ebook! Can’t wait to see it. If this pudding is any indication, it’ll be fantastic. :)

Thanks Amber! I’m so excited about it… as you know, they’re SO much work. But I’ve had so much fun locking myself in the kitchen for days at a time, pounding through recipe after recipe.

Suzanne @RollWithIt

Ummmm, do we have come kind of blogger mind connection?!?! I just posted a Chocolate Pudding recipe yesterday (also vegan, gluten-free, soy-free etc). I like that yours is full of protein – great idea!

Great news about the cookbook! Looking forward to it!

Wow, awesome! I’m heading over to check out what ingredients you used!

sophie

Congratulations on the book! Good for you – this is wonderful!

I’m about to soak some beans to make this recipe, but wanted to know if you could tell me how much a certain amount of dried beans yields when cooked. Does 1 cup dried beans end up being 2 cups cooked beans? Also – if I were to leave out the coconut sugar (and simply use concentrated stevia), would I have to add something instead to keep the volume of the pudding?

Thanks <3
-sophie

Hi Sophie! For navy beans, 1/3 cup produces 1 cup cooked. You may have to add a bit more liquid to the recipe if you opt for using stevia. Maybe an additional 2 tablespoons or so? Enjoy!

Susan

Leanne,

I am thrilled to find your bean-based chocolate pudding! I’ve made 2 bean-based cakes this week and found that they didn’t leave me wanting to eat all the sugar in the world. Would you mind mentioning what non-dairy creams you suggest? Thanks!

Awesome! You’ll have to give this a try then… it’s SO creamy! I think you’ll love it if you liked your cakes. When you say dairy-free cream, what are you thinking, for what kind of recipes?

Shel@PeachyPalate

Gorgeous idea!!!

Woo-hoo!!! Congrats on your ebook my friend! That’s awesome and cannot wait to see it come to life and hear about it; writing, photography, the publishing process. Please do posts on it along the way if you’re so inclined but I would love to read about it!

Thanks, Averie! It’s been a long time coming… and a lot of work. But I’m so happy about how it’s looking so far!

a farmer in the dell

Congratulations! What exciting news! Crack open some bubbly to celebrate :)

Oh I will SO be cracking it open when this project goes live!

Jackie

I just made this, and it was awesome!
So easy and satisfying. Thanks!

Awesome! I’m so happy that you liked it, Jackie :)

Lisa

You’ve done it this time! Holy wowee!!! I don’t like chocolate (I know, I’m weird) but with white chocolate this may just be DELISH!! Trying this tomorrow…and your cheesy recipe on Sunday! You rock girlie! :-)

Oh man, I LOVE white chocolate… I’m so there with you, Lisa! Can’t wait to hear how you like the two recipes. Have a great weekend :)

Kim

I’m excited for you and super excited for your e-cookbook Leanne!!! Way to go!!!!! :-) I’ll try and patiently wait for the final reveal lol

Yolande

Hi Leanne! Can’t wait to see your cookbook!! I came across your blog a few weeks back and have made many of your recipes!! I’m in Australia, would cannellini beans be the same as navy beans? TIA!

Hi Yolande – I’m so happy that you found me! Yes, cannellini beans would do the trick. Enjoy!

Yolande

Thanks for replying Leanne! Can’t wait to try this! :)

ali

Do you think this recipe would work if I swapped in cocoa powder and a bit more coconut sugar ( or stevia..) for the chocolate chips? I’m trying to keep to a sugar free/ very low sugar diet at the moment and this pudding sounds like it’s calling my name. :) ! Would love to create it.

Any suggestions for using cocoa powder ( or maybe I’ll try using carob?) would be super appreciated. thx!!

Hi Ali – sure thing. I bet you could remove the chocolate and add cocoa powder and your own type of sugar. The bean mixture (as you can see from the pictures) is very creamy, so you’ll be in a good place to just add the powders and still get a good consistency. Maybe start off with 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder and work up to 1/4 cup. Hope that helps!

Mia

Can you use regular (non-fat organic) milk in this instead of non dairy milk? What holds it together (what takes the place of gelatin for keeping it firm?)

Hi Mia – I’m sure that you could use regular milk, no problem. The beans are what helps keep it’s form. Hope that helps!

Mia

OK, great, I’m looking forward to trying it. I love chocolate pudding but don’t want to use gelatin. Thanks!

Gwen @SimplyHealthyFamily

Fantastic! I used navy beans as a base for a gluten free chocolate cake once and it was wonderful.

I always have trouble coming up with good healthy (quick) breakfasts that go beyond eggs. I would love to see that in your cookbook. Congrats btw!

I’ve always wanted to make a bean-based cake… I should get on that.

Breakfasts… that’s a great idea. This cookbook is desserts only, but I’d love to do a breakfast cookbook one of these days!

Gwen

In that case any desserts that invole fruit ;)

You do a fabulous job at coming up w great recipes but if you want to check out my colorless garbanzo bean cake it’s here.

Gwen

Gahh, flour less not colorless! ;)

Wow, thanks for sharing that recipe with me, Gwen! I tried to comment on your blog, but I’m not sure if it went through. In any case, nicely done!

Becca

Amazing idea! Love me a dessert that contains some protein too!

marla

Such a delish looking pudding Leanne!

chris

What is a grain free, soy, free, dairy free, and nut free substitution to the navy beans? (yes, quite a bit of frees!). Think pureed zucchini would work? Or winter squash? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Is there a way to use Great Lakes beef gelatin to make pudding? How?

You could try squash, that may work!

Nora

Can we substitute coconut sugar for honey or maple syrup? If so, how much do you think? Thanks!

Hi Nora – for sure you can. I would start off with about 2 tablespoons less. Hope that helps!

Devra

I’m so excited for your cookbook to come out!

By the way, I just made the vegan chocolate pudding and it was so yummy. I ended up substituting cocoa powder for the chocolate and Stevia for the sugar (since that’s what I had in my kitchen), and the final product was really yummy. I also just put everything into my Vitamix and it worked out really well. The consistency and taste was very similar to the stovetop pudding my grandmother used to make. Now I can have it with more protein and less sugar! Thanks again!

Ruxandra @ Gourmandelle

Delicious! Can’t wait to try this :)

Thanks Ruxandra. I don’t believe you’ve been here before, welcome!

Kelly

This recipe was an instant success in my house. My son asks for it EVERY DAY lol. I love making it for him because he enjoys it so much and I know it’s full of wonderful stuff for his growing little body. Thank you!

Elaine

This looks fantastic…like all your other recipes. I was looking for a chocolate ice cream recipe and thought this might work if I put it in the ice cream maker. What do you think ?

That’s a great idea, Elaine. I’ve wanted to add it to the ice cream maker a couple of times… but we eat the batch before we get a chance to. If you give it a shot, be sure to let me know!

Elaine

Made the recipe !! Ate it all, not in one sitting ! Awesome. thank you Leanne. Every one of your recipes has been awesome!

Woohoo! I’m so happy that you liked it, Elaine :)

Julie@nicholsonsGf

Wow, those navy beans look amazing smooth – not quite what I imagined when i saw the picture for a chocolate dessert – I will have to try this recipe it sounds delicious!

They are pretty darn smooth (and ultra delicious!) I’d love to know how you like the recipe when you give it a try, Julie :)

J. Erin

Had something similar made by a restaurant during an all vegan 21-day cleanse
So yummy! But wondering if there is a way to do this w/ organic cocoa instead of the non-dairy chocolate? Can’t find it around here. Thanks!

Foodielover

Hi Leanne, this looks sodelicious but may i ask some advice please? Would the navy beans likely not come out so velvety smooth if I used a normal food processor? I made your choc fudge drops the other day and they tasted divine but looked more grainy than yours did. I can’t afford a vitamix and don’t think I will ever be able to lol, is there anything you can recommend, should I invest in a cheaper blender/smoothie maker (are they the same thing?) or will it not be worth it as a cheaper blender may only do as good a job as my kenwood food processor.. hope that makes sense. Thankyou :)