7 days have passed since I proposed we all try going dairy-free for a week using the resources from my new Done with Dairy Toolkit.
I gotta say, I’m so impressed by your enthusiasm and willingness to do the challenge. Head on over to the Done with Dairy Toolkit comments to read what others’ have experienced in just 7 days of removing dairy from their lives or to share your personal dairy-free story. No matter where you are on the dairy-free train, I know you’ll be inspired by what everyone has to say!
In keeping with the dairy-free theme last week, we feasted on homemade milk and cheesecake and today is all about the salad. You know, to keep things balanced and all.
The first salad I remember eating (and enjoying) was Caesar salad. Once I discovered it, I ordered it at restaurants, asked my Mom to serve it everyday for dinner, and had the dressing recipe memorized with a stocked bottle of it in the fridge at all times. I was a Caesar fiend.
Then I went dairy-free…
It was a sad day.
So what I’m trying to say here is… I am a Caesar salad Pro. Yes, with a capital “P”. I know what the real thing taste like and THIS, this recipe right here, this tastes as close to the real thing as humanly possible.
Make this recipe and you may just love life a bit more.
To print, email or text this recipe, click here.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon caper brine
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- 12 cups chopped romaine leaves
- Add avocado, lemon juice, water, garlic, brine, capers, mustard salt and pepper to the bowl of your food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. If it needs some thinning out (depending on the size of your avocado) you can add a touch more water. The end result will be the consistency of pudding. Keep it this way to maintain ultra creaminess.
- Spoon dressing into a bowl and stir in hemp seeds for that ‘Parmesan’ feel.
- Place romaine in a large salad bowl, drop dressing on top and rotate leaves until fully coated.
- Serve immediately!
The hemp seeds are in the recipe to add that Parmesan texture. Feel free to add whatever nut or seed you’d like!
Did I mention how simple this was? Gosh. I love simple. Just throw everything in a blender, drop into a bowl, add your hemp seeds…
Cut up your lettuce, swirl everything around… done.
My favorite part? The hemp seeds! They worked SO well as a ‘Parmesan’ in this dressing.
Mwahaha. Dairy? Who needs it!
Other delicious vegan Caesar salad recipes in cyberspace:
- Vegan Mock Caesar Salad by Detoxinista
- Making Caesar Salad by Clean Cuisine and More
- Vegan Caesar Salad Dressing by Life Love and All Things Green
- Vegan Caesar Salad Recipe by 101 Cookbooks
Tell me… what food did you love chowing down on when you were a kid?