Coconut Lime Frosty Cups

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on February 28, 2013

Coconut Lime Frosty Cups (51)-2

Not a day goes by that I don’t treat myself to something sweet. A baked apple, frozen banana, small piece of chocolate… nothing fancy, just something small that I can savor.

If I’m feeling ultra creative, I’ll whip up a quick dessert that’s freezer friendly and make a couple of servings to last the whole week long.

Are you the same? What sorts of treats do you like to make?

Coconut Lime Frosty Cups (27)

This recipe, that I shared over at Paleo Parents this week, is exactly the kind of daily dessert I gravitate toward.

5 ingredients.

Simple.

Wholesome.

Grain-free.

Sugar-free.

And of course, I added step by step pictures as always.

Coconut-Lime-Frosty-Cups-Steps

Head on over to Paleo Parents for the recipe… but before you go, tell me…

What sorts of snacks do you prepare for the week ahead?

Are you more of a sweet or savory person when it comes to snacking?

Kevin

Baked apples are so good.

My favorite treat is… *drum-roll* cut-up apples with cinnamon.

Coconut sure is amazing. I remember in Germany we have these super-miniature October Fests in the villages (yes, I grew up in a village of 300)… anyhow, I digress, and they often sold coconut pieces to snack on. Yum!

You? Apples? Naaawwww ;)

Beautiful! I love that these are sugar-free, since I don’t do so well (or my stomach doesn’t, I should say) with a lot of sugar. When it comes to snacks that I prep ahead, I’m much more of a savoury person. I love making a bunch of dips and spreads like hummus, pesto, salsa etc and using them as dips for fresh veggies throughout the week.
P.S. Would the Kevin above be ‘the’ Kevin? If so, we have a favourite snack in common!

Kevin

Indeed, the one and only :)
Apples rule all snacks!

Christine

I am definitely a sweets person! I try to enjoy healthy treats, such as many recipes from your blog! Thanks for sharing! :-)

Healthy sweet tooth, unite!

Sherri

These look DELISH! And right up our alley too. We’ve been indulging in your key lime pie smoothie almost daily since we ready that blog post. The kids are in love with it and so am I!

That’s awesome Sherry. I bet the whole family would love these, too. They’re really similar in flavor. Enjoy!

Michelle

We’re definitely a savory snack family – we eat gallons of hummus. If I could just get everyone in the family to eat it with some veggies, then I’d be getting somewhere, but the preferred vehicle is crackers. That’s not so bad – they like Triscuit Thin Crisps, which aren’t too terrible as store-bought crackers go. That also means that I can leave the salt out of the hummus, making it just four ingredients: garbanzo beans, minced garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. (I’m no tahini fan.)

Maybe this weekend would be a good one for making a couple test batches of homemade crackers!

Christine @ Gotta Eat Green

I am a sucker for anything coconut! These little cups look amaaazing. I can’t say I really prefer a sweet snack over a savoury one. To be honest, I crave something sweet and something savoury almost every day. I tend to have my sweet in the evening (like frozen banana chunks with a touch of brown sugar..) and my savoury snack (hummus, salsa, etc) in the afternoon.

I’ve never thought to just have frozen banana chunks in a bowl. Such a great idea, Christine!

Daniela

I can’t have bananas
what would work best instead banana?

Hi Daniela – you could probably use any type of fruit puree you have on hand. Perhaps 1/2 cup of apple sauce would work well?

Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family

It really varies from week to week if I will want a savory or sweet snack. When I want a sweet I try to keep little chocolates handy or cacao nibs. Or a homemade granola bar can be quite satisfying.

If it is a savory snack, almost always, I go for sesame sticks…I have a small addiction to them :)

I hope you have a great day Leanne!

Mmm sesame sticks… I had to stop buying them because we polished them off a bit too quickly ;)

Angela

This is a great idea and I NEED to start preparing sweet treats for the week. I have been trying to eat healthier and I’ve been really struggling to lose my baby weight so I have been restricting my sweets. But when you restrict too much you start to feel deprived. I love these and they are so simple and “guilt-free” I am going to have to try them.

Kat

Can’t wait to try this!
Is there anything else I could use to replace the banana?
My 14 month old daughter is allergic to bananas, unfortunately.

Hi Kat – banana allergy… no worries! You could probably use any type of fruit puree you have on hand. Perhaps 1/2 cup of apple sauce would work well?

Tamikko

mmm, toasted coconut is one of my favourite smells. Another one is vanilla! I love the taste too, but first the aroma draws you in. I’m going to try this with lemon, just because I have no limes. I think this may be added to my little treats that I need to have on hand so I can have something sweet here and there. I am definitely like you, needing a little something sweet everyday. I love hummus and a good veggie smoothie but sweet is where the most loveliest aroma’s are! :) Thanks for another fantastic and very useful recipe. I appreciate you and all the work you do :Leanne :)

Lemon would be really, really good in here. I can’t wait to hear how you like it, Tamikko. Thanks thanks for your kind words. Hope you had a great day!

Krista

My go-to snack usually includes apples too: I make chai apple omelets (they remind me of Sunday morning pancakes)

I’m in love with coconut, so these are certainly going to have to happen. However, it brought a thought to mind when I saw your silicone muffin tray: you should do a post discussing what you think are kitchen tool essentials. There are so many times when I want to make something but I just don’t have the right tools to do it best.

Sue

Do they melt if left out of the freezer for awhile, or stay in the same form? I’m wondering if they might be good for a potluck.

Hi Sue – if they get over about 20C (68F) they will start to lose shape. I hope that helps! If that wont work for you, these granola cups hold better at room temperature: http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2011/02/no-bake-granola-cakes/

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com

I love snacking on smoothie and baked fruits. It doesn’t really take a long time to prepare, so I just whip it up on the go!

This desserts spells “tropics” to me :)

Karen McJunkin

I am all about a great piece of dark chocolate. Lucky to live in a city that has an amazing chocolatier.