Cranberry Sauce Muffins (Vegan + Grain-free)

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on January 3, 2013

Cranberry Sauce Muffins (4)-2

Like you, I’m not a fan of the gummy muffin. You know the kind; especially if you’re gluten-free, egg-free or vegan. The uncooked center, hard exterior – it’s anything but a muffin.

I want that pull apart gluten-filled consistency, the crisp, slightly crystallized sugar exterior and a fluffy inside… now that’s a muffin my friends.

Sadly, I haven’t had one of those muffins in a long, long time. The gluten-free muffins I’ve created on the blog are great, but they don’t feel like exactly like the real thing. That, and they each have at least 1 common allergen. Before this week I would have told you that creating the perfect gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, dairy-free, egg-free, vegan, refined sugar-free muffin was impossible but boy did I prove myself wrong (after 8 attempts at the recipe but that’s beside the point).

Cranberry Sauce Muffins (70)

To start things off, I went with a base of almond flour but after 5 attempts and countless gooey muffins I decided to switch to chickpea flour. Now before you start saying, “but chickpea flour makes everything taste bitter and gross” bear with me. You’ll notice that there’s a crap load of vanilla extract in this recipe, that and cinnamon. Those two combined alongside the cranberry sauce and you’ll be hard-pressed to notice the chickpea flour in these tiny mounds of deliciousness. Just don’t go and taste the raw batter. If you do, don’t tell me I didn’t warn you.

Okay, lets feast on these muffins, shall we?

Just LOOK at that consistency.

You’re excited. I know it.

Cranberry Sauce Muffins (51)-2

To print, email or text this recipe, click here.

3.4 from 5 reviews

Vegan and Grain-free Cranberry Sauce Muffins
Author:
Allergens: Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free, Nut-free, Egg-free
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 12

Grain-free, vegan muffins made with all that leftover cranberry sauce you stuffed in the freezer after Christmas dinner.
Dry Ingredients:
Wet Ingredients:
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a 12 cup muffin pan with standard-sized muffin liners. Set aside.
  2. Combine dry ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
  3. Whisk wet ingredients together in a large bowl.
  4. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until incorporated.
  5. Divide muffin batter into prepared muffin cups.
  6. Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until tops are lightly cracked and golden and toothpick inserted comes out clean. I found that the toothpick held a bit of gumminess due to the cranberry but left to cool, they firmed up perfectly to the consistency of a real, gluten-packed muffin.
  7. Remove muffins from the pan and place on a cooling rack to cool.
  8. Muffins can be stored for a few days at room temperature. Keep in the fridge to prolong time, or freeze in an air-tight container for up to 3 months.
Notes
I used the cranberry sauce from this recipe If you are allergic to coconut, feel free to replace the coconut sugar with cane sugar.

View nutrition information

Cranberry Sauce Muffins (100)-2

Begin by combining your wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls.

cranberry-muffin

Add dry to wet, lightly stir to combine (just until mixed or you’ll end up with hard muffins), and drop into your prepared tins.

I filled the muffin tins about 3/4 of the way up as you can see.

cranberry-muffin2

I’m sure these muffins could be frozen but I doubt they’ll be in the house long enough to find out.

Cranberry Sauce Muffins (29)

Now, to figure out what we do with the 7 batches that didn’t work…

The 8th time’s a charm!!! :) You did a GREAT job on these Leanne, and I totally admire your persistence! The shot of the muffin broken in half is gorgeous. Oh, and tons of vanilla and cinnamon? That’s why there’s Costco. ;)

Thanks Ange :) I’m so happy I ended up switching to chickpea flour. What a great call that was! Costco, *sigh* <3

Stephen@HappyHeart

These sound and look amazing! I just need to track down some cranberries now! They disappeared fairly quick sharp in Ireland after Christmas!

I’m sure you could use other fruit purees if you can’t get your hands on cranberries!

That is always my one downside to cooking with chickpea flour: no tasting of the batter! yuck. These muffins look amazing, though. Ever since you made your banana pancakes with chickpea flour, I’ve been hooked on using it in more recipes.

The worst is when you forget that you’re baking with it and go to take a big lick of the spatula… AH! I did that at least twice while I was preparing this recipe. Sheesh. I’m so happy that you’re hooked on the flour. It takes some getting used to; what with changing the spices and such to accommodate, but it’s quite awesome, right?

Connie

Do you think this would work with coconut flour?

Hi Connie – I’ve tried countless attempts at making vegan coconut flour muffins and cakes and have failed miserably every single time. I honestly don’t think this recipe would work with coconut flour but hey, if you give it a shot and it works, I’d love to hear about it! Good luck :)

Suzanne @ RollWithIt

These look great Leanne! I could totally go for one of these right now….as for what to do with the leftovers, I would suggest…Kevin? Or compost? Or what I normally do is bring the failed attempts to work and let the men eat them up – never heard a complaint yet!

Sonnet

I am very excited! I too know the frustration of the hard/gummy muffin and I can’t wait to try these!

Ah yes, the hard muffin. I didn’t even get into that one! Nothing worse than thinking the batch is good, letting it sit out for a couple of hours and returning to large, hard masses of muffin. Ugh.

Tamikko

This is so exciting! I miss good muffins. Chickpea is Garbanzo flour right? If so I’ve used it before and find it slightly sweet. I really can’t get over all the ingredients that went to waste from the 7 previous batches. That’s just sad! However great for all of us in the long run. I’m looking forward to trying this recipe and some others with different fruit sauces :) This is definitely a great success Leeanne. Congrats on bringing back muffins with great texture to us all!

sophie

Chickpea and garbanzo = same thing!

Yes, tell me about it. Luckily, chickpea flour is cheap… but cranberry sauce is not. But now that we have a nice tasting batch, it made all the legwork totally worth it!

Jessica

I love your cranberry props. Totally gorgeous!

Also, I have never used chickpea flour before. 2013 may have to be the year I break that streak! These muffins look divine. Thanks for going through 8 trials, Leanne!

Thanks Jessica! I purchased them from Superstore a couple of years ago and a couple from the Dollar Store. Two places I just couldn’t live without, really.

Oh you must give chickpea flour a try. It’s so versatile, high in protein, and easy on digestion. I’m head over heels in love with the stuff!

chelsea

Looks so good, can’t wait to try.

How do you think tapioca would work as a substitute for arrowroot (I have tapioca in the house but not arrowroot) ?

Hey Chelsea – I’m pretty sure it would work okay. The two are pretty interchangeable but I didn’t test the recipe with tapioca so I can’t be 100% certain. I’m about 90% though, so that’s gotta count for something!

Kat

I’d really like to make these this morning. I have coconut sugar but it’s pricey and I try to use it sparingly–do you think I could sub the coconut sugar in this recipe for agave?

Hi Kat – so sorry that I’m only getting to you now. If you’ve made the muffins already, what sugar did you choose to use? If not, a dry sugar would be best (like demerara sugar), just because I didn’t test it with agave or other liquid sugars. You may be okay with subbing it, but I haven’t tried.

Hallie

Ok so conveniently I had cranberry sauce in my freezer when I read this recipe! I normally would have changed the flour to almond flour (it has worked best for most baked goodies) but I took your word for it and used garbanzo bean flour… turned out delicious! However, I didn’t take your word for the batter flavor and did try it (regrettably) HA! They are wonderful with some coconut butter on top! Now onto those twix bars…

Ah! Well, you’ll never make THAT mistake ever again, believe you me. So happy that you liked them! Can’t wait to hear what you think of the Twix!

Chris

I may be too late for this muffin trial but….. I once made a complete flop of a banan bundt. It never seemed to completely bake through. Never before had that happened. Nor since! But the ‘flop’ made the BEST bread pudding I’ve EVER HAD! Just a thought…!!!

Sherine

It is so cool that you used chickpea flour in this recipe….it is such a great and healthy alternative….but do you know how many cups can I substitute for chickpea flour if all I have is cooked pureed beans….and I actually have another question…is it really safe to consume any kind of starch and i have read somewhere that tapioca starch is hazardous and then I read later that all the poisonous stuff in the tapioca starch gets to be destroyed by cooking….I was wondering if you know anything about this:)

Thank you and keep on creating amazing recipes

Stacy

I was really looking forward to these because I had a ton of cranberry sauce left from Thanksgiving. Not sure what went wrong, but it made a ton of batter- way more than for 12 muffins. I made some mini muffins also, but for some reason the muffins would not cook through in the center. I kept putting them back in the oven. The outside part that cooked tasted good, but like vanilla, not like cranberry like I’d hoped. I’ve made several of your recipes before and they have all turned out great.

Katy

Question: I can eat grain and eggs. How would I then change your recipe? It looks like a great recipe.

Sorry Katy, you CAN eat grains and eggs? I would encourage you to give the grain-free, egg-free muffin a try, just for variation in your diet! I’m not sure how to make this muffin with grains and eggs.