Spiced Carob Cookies (Grain-free + Vegan)

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on December 28, 2012

Carob-Spice-Cookies-(55)-2INTRO

There are just four days left until we ring in 2013 and I think that these cookies should be the last recipe you enjoy this year. The ingredients are easy to find, the recipe is simple, and the results are sinfully delicious. I brought a batch along with us to a Christmas party earlier this week and no one could guess that they were the healthy cookies that the nutritionist brought along with her.

These cookies are very similar to my 5 Ingredient Chewy Chocolate Coconut Cookies (picture below), but can be made without coconut and are naturally caffeine-free thanks to using carob instead of cocoa powder. If you’re not familiar with carob, I highly recommend you give it a try. It’s nutty, full of flavor, and combines really well with an array of different spices.

5 Ingredient Chewy Chocolate Coconut Cookies (18)

And if you don’t care about caffeine, the health benefits of carob, or that these cookies are grain-free or vegan,  just know that they’re good.

They’re so good that you may want to just double up on the recipe now to save yourself from remaking them again in 30 minutes.

They’re so good that you may throw your spouse in the dog house if he dares to eat the last one.

They’re so good that if you accidentally drop one on the floor, a 20 second rule totally, totally counts.

They’re so good that you couldn’t help but steal one out of the Christmas cookie tin you had prepared for your spouse’s, boss’s, daughter.

Ya… I’m going to have to make another batch.

Carob Spice Cookies (39)

Inspired by my favorite tea from Davids Tea

To print, email or text this recipe, click here.

4.5 from 2 reviews

Spiced Carob Cookies (Grain-free + Vegan)
Author:
Allergens: Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free, Egg-free
Serves: 6

Chewy carob cookies with a hint of cardamom and cinnamon.
Dry Ingredients:
Wet Ingredients:
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat. Set aside.
  2. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl, whisking until combined. Set aside.
  3. Combine wet ingredients in a small bowl, whisking until combined.
  4. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix with a spoon until fully incorporated. The mixture will be thick, just keep turning it over until all of dry pieces are part of the large mass of dough.
  5. Scoop cookie dough into a ¼ cup measuring cup, turn over and flop onto the preparing baking sheet leaving around 2-inches between each cookie.
  6. Press down on the cookies lightly. Then place in the oven to bake for 13-16 minutes, until tops are slightly cracked and your house smells like a bakery.
  7. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow cookies to cool on the pan for 30 minutes or so.
Notes
If you’re allergic to nuts you can try to substitute the ground walnuts with ground sunflower seeds instead.

View nutrition information

Carob Spice Cookies (5)

Begin with a bowlful of dry ingredients, whisk to combine and set aside.

Do the same with the wet ingredients.

carobcookie1

Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir to combine. The mixture will get pretty tough to mix, this is normal. Just keep kneading until everything is incorporated.

carobcookie2

Scoop 1/4 cup sections and place on the prepared baking sheet. You’ll have 6 cookies in total.

Press down with the palm of your hand. Bake in the prepared oven for 13-16 minutes and remove when the tops begin to crack slightly. Allow to cool completely and dig in!

carobcookie3

These just may be my new favorite grain-free cookies. I’m all up in carob’s business lately, I can’t seem to get enough of the stuff.

Carob Spice Cookies (68)

I’m planning on making another batch of cookies today so that I can take them along with me on my flight to Kitchener this afternoon. That is if I don’t leave my packing until the very last minute and end up shuffling around the house in a panic trying to get my life together before I leave. Cookies in hand or not, I’m so stoked to be going out to spend the weekend with Angela again! I’m sure I’ll be back next week with loads of new plant-based meals to share with you all.

Have a fantastic weekend and don’t forget to make these cookies! Think of it as a late Christmas present to yourself. Yes. Do that.

Woop woop and I can’t wait to see you! I’m keeping my fingers crossed super tight that the snow doesn’t delay your travels.
Oh and about these cookies! I laughed when you wrote that ‘even if you don’t care about the health benefits of carob etc, just know that they’re good” – that’s usually the explanation I give to my mum when I cook her superfood-packed things. I could go on forever about antioxidants and vitamins etc, but in the end, I usually just say “they’re just full of things that are really good for you”. :)

india-leigh

I love CAROB! so underrated! Thanks for the recipe. You made me giggle too! I’m going to bake a batch and the freeze all but one..erm, perhaps two (I live alone..I’ve learnt my lesson!). I’ve a question…do you actually have sunlight where you are right now (I”m under a busy cloud that has become rather attached to my little town…) or have you got a light box or something? I’m making stuff for my blog and my 1.45 seconds of sunlight ever three days is not nearly enough to get good shots of my offerings!

thanks

India Leigh

It is underrated, isn’t it? I wish I could scream on the mountain tops how good it is, how good these cookies are. Good call on the freezer. I use that trick often.

As for lighting, I need to write a post on it. There is absolutely 0 natural light in our new house. I was so upset by it at first, but found that I could recreate nearly the same lighting (natural light is king though in my eyes) with a construction light! $40 at the hardware store and I can take pictures any time of the day. It’s been fabulous.

Tamikko

yum! Definitely one of those posts where you’re drooling and can just imagine the taste and the mix of spices. Cardamom = yummy! Can’t wait to make them. Hope you have a great weekend and a Happy New Year!!!

Tell me about it. A couple of cookies were consumed in the making of this post.

I love carob! I don’t cook with it or use it very much at all but if I’m out and have the chance to have it, I can’t resist.

Love the recipe, texture, opening picture (is that done with Photoshop? I am horrible with PS and can only make collages like that in picmonkey)

Pinning!

My carob weakness is carob chips. I try to avoid them in the bulk stores and bins or I go absolute nuts on them! I’m right with you, can’t resist it at all.

Yep, all of my post processing is done in Lightroom and then design work in Photoshop. Take a class! They’re super cheap and so, so valuable. Thanks for the pin!

Sarah L.

These look delicious! I’m pretty sure the coconut chocolate cookies was the first recipe I made from your blog. Have fun in Kitchener, both you and Angela are awesome so I’m looking forward to reading about your culinary and/or fitness adventures! :)

There is much fun planned, including attempting a bunch of new drool-worthy recipes. Can’t wait to share! Enjoy the weekend, and Happy New Year!

Liz

Girl, it’s like your read my MIND! I’m with you on the carob; I’ve been getting MAD, random cravings for it intermittently over the past month. It’s always good to have another recipe on file for when the mood strikes, though, I’m partial the carob in brownie form. Ever think about creating a recipe like that (hint, hint)? :)

Carob brownies… hmmm twist my arm! I was actually playing around with the recipe earlier this week! It was a massive failure, but I am attempting it :)

india-leigh

a construction light….ah ha! what a genius idea! Thanks for divulging your secret Leanne! I honestly believed it to be natural light… x

I’m so happy to hear that you thought it was the ‘real’ thing! That makes me very happy. Yes, the construction light was Kevin’s idea. So much cheaper than getting a soft box, less frustrating than those Lowel lights and WAY less than LEDs!

jodye @ chocolate and chou flour

These cookies look fantastic – the perfect chewy texture that I adore (and my boyfriend despises; more for me!). I love carob, but don’t often think of using it in my own baking. I’ve had a huge bag of it in my pantry for quite a while, and I think it’s about time that I put it to good use. I’m excited to see how these cookies turn out!

Puja @ Indiaphile.info

I love carob (and my dog loves it too)! I just much on carob chips like they’re candy. These cookies look amazing! Can’t wait to try them. :)

Puja @ Indiaphile.info

I meant munch!

I do the carob chip candy trick, too. Unsweetened carob chips and I are bestest pals ;)

Elizabeth

These look so creative and yummy!

Emma

Not really related to this post, but I know you use xylitol in lots of your baked goods. Does it “act” the same way as real (cane) sugar? Have you ever tried erythritol before? I would like to start experimenting with sugar-free baking but don’t want to waste expensive ingredients without knowing that they’ll be successful!

Hi Emma – I haven’t baked much with xylitol over the last couple of months because as you mentioned, it’s expensive. Each of the recipes I share on the blog are made upwards of 4 times until I get the recipe right. I was going through bags of xylitol quicker than you can say “broke”. It doesn’t act exactly like cane sugar so you have to substitute with extra liquids, just a touch though. And it always depends on what type of recipe you’re making. I hope that helps somewhat!

Suzanne @ RollWithIt

OMG! I know I’m a little behind on the comments from the holidays but I cannot wait to make these! They look amazing! Hope you had a great time with Angela!

Jennifer

Thank you so much for this recipe I made the cookies last week and they were wonderful. I can’t have chocolate anymore it is not good for my body. The cookies were not too sweet just right!

It’s great that you know that chocolate doesn’t sit well with you. I’m so happy that you liked the cookies, Jennifer. Thanks for swinging by and letting me know how they turned out :)

alice

HI! Thank you so much for your amazing recipes – I made a batch of these Spiced Carob cookies last week and am going to do a second batch! Any idea whether this recipe (or any other cookie recipes) are freezable? THanks!

Yes! These are freezable, for sure!