Some may indulge in chocolates, candies or other sweet things but me? I’m a burger and fries gal. I don’t enjoy them often but when I do, I go all out.
Kevin and I were on one of our weekend adventures recently when we heard an ad for Jukebox Burgers on the radio. I haven’t had much success in finding gluten-free options at diners, but being new to the city and having no clue where to go for an awesome burger I figured it couldn’t hurt to investigate the place. I sent an email asking if they had gluten-free options and received a positive response almost immediately.
Kevin and I jumped in the car and headed over. Well, maybe not jumped… but there was definitely some enthusiasm there.
I gotta say, it was hard to believe that this restaurant opened it’s doors just 2 years ago. There’s character everywhere you look, small details that make the space fun, inviting and comfortable. They even have one of those long bars with the super cute stools… but we chose a spot near the window so that our foodie pictures would turn out nice.
I’m definitely sitting at the bar next time though.
The menu was easy to follow, the prices were great and there was no limit to the options available to us even with our dairy-free and gluten-free restrictions. We both had our eyes set on the burger menu so it was a pretty easy choice for the both of us.
To order a burger you:
- Choose your patty – beef, turkey, chicken breast or vegetarian.
- Select a bun – white, honey brown, rye, pumpernickel, sweet yeast or lettuce wrap (if you get the lettuce wrap you’ll have extra room in your belly for fries!).
- Commit to your toppings – there’s a lot of options to choose from ranging between $9.95 and $17.95 (the $17 burger was a crazy thing that replaced the bun with slabs of cheese…)
- Pick a side – fries, onion rings, that sort of thing.
We made our selections and waited patiently for our lunch.
Kevin started with an iced tea as he does no matter where we go,
and I counted the seconds. Well, not actually… but I have to say I was pretty excited.
Our order came to the table in about 15 minutes.
My burger, “The Brando” came with salami, caramelized onions, tomato, lettuce, pickles, mayo, ketchup, mustard and sweet BBQ sauce. I went with the lettuce wrap, beef patty and potato fries.
And how cool is the knife jabbed into the top? It looked so dangerous!
The burger was great but I found the barbecue sauce to be a bit too sweet for my taste. Other than that, it was a perfect lunch. A bit too many fries, but who’s complaining?
At the advise of our server, Kevin went with the pumpernickel bread for his “Humpherey Burger” and replaced the cheese with caramelized onions making it a bacon and onion burger with lettuce, tomato, mayo and mustard.
Pretty sure this face says it all…
I’ve never seen a man eat a burger so quickly.
And did I mention the fries? They were so fun to eat! I’ve never had curly fries like this before. They went on for days. Had a been a tad bit younger I would have tried putting them up to my face and pretended they were ringlets… but I managed to control the urge.
I should mention though, that the fries are made in the same oil as the breaded items so if you’re celiac I’d recommend skipping them.
- Ambiance: Job well done with the space. Great lighting, too! 4/5
- Authenticity: you can tell that a lot of care was taken into selecting the design for this space. It’s locally owned and operated so you know someone went to great lengths to make it just perfect. 5/5
- Ease of ordering and menu readability: very clear and well laid out 5/5
- Plating: our burgers came in baskets lined with paper. Because mine was in a lettuce wrap and didn’t have anything to soak up the juices from the burger everything was dripping all over the place. I hadn’t realized until we got in the car but some of it ended up dripping from the table into my lap. I expect to get a bit messy when I eat a burger but having the juice leak through the ‘plate’ couldn’t be controlled. 3/5
- Service: our server was really helpful. She went to the kitchen multiple times to ask about gluten ingredients, made suggestions where she felt we’d benefit from them, could list off the ingredients in many of the dishes and was super friendly. 5/5
- Taste: the burger was unreal… the fries were even better. 4.5/5
- Value: overly pleased with the portion sizes for the cost. 5/5
Total: 31.5/35 = 90%
What foods do you indulge in every once in awhile?