Citrus Salsa with Salmon and Bok Choy

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on November 14, 2012

The weather’s been strange here. Wait, let me rephrase that… I’m not used to living in a snow-free city in November.

The sun is shining, I find myself wearing light jackets, sweaters and I even got away with wearing shorts on Monday. Shorts in November… that’s madness!

As a result, today’s cleanse recipe has bright summery colors and cool flavors, but keeps things seasonal with warmed greens and a richer protein source. It’s got a whole lot of goodness in every bite!

I’m on day 14 of the Moksha Yoga NDG 30 day yoga challenge, day 10 of the two week cleanse program and I’m feeling great… although I could really, really go for a rest day, I’m forging forward. There’s no stopping this train!

Before the month started, I created a theme for each week of the challenge to help me stay focused and on track for change. Last week was all about focusing on nourishing my body and this week it’s about making sure I’m giving my brain what it needs to stay balanced. Some of the ways I’ve planned to do this is to not eat sugar (that includes things like palm sugar, stevia and xylitol), eat extra healthy fats (omega oils on salads, omega-rich fish, and sprinkles of nuts and seeds on various meals), enjoy a restful (8 hour) sleep, work on my meditation practice, that sort of thing.

My hope is at that at the end of each week, I’ll have new tools and habits in place that will carry on to the following week, and so on.

This week is focused on feeding our brains. We want those synapses firing! And there’s no better way to do that than to eat omega-rich foods.

In order of concentration, here are some of my favorite omega-3 rich foods:

• Sustainable seafood.
  • Flax seeds. I put that sh*% on everything.
  • Walnuts. They look like mini brains, don’t they? Coincidence? I think not.
  • Wild rice. Considered a grass and is also a great source of fiber.
  • Edamame. Unlike it’s other soy counterparts, edamame is higher in omega-3 than it is omega-6.
  • Pasture-raised meats, dairy and eggs. These animals have been raised eating plants, not corn, and therefore have higher amounts of healthy fats than your average corn-fed animal.

For seafood, Seafood Watch recommends which seafood to buy or avoid, educates consumers on fishing methods, and helps consumers and businesses become advocates for ocean-friendly seafood. You can get their recommendations online, in their printed pocket guides, or on your mobile device.

Basically, you search for the fish; in my case, salmon, and Seafood Watch tells you what type to choose!

To print, email, or text this recipe, click here.

5.0 from 2 reviews

Citrus Salsa with Salmon and Bok Choy
Author:
Allergens: Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 2

A 15 minute meal complete with a fresh orange and avocado salsa, a fillet of moist salmon and lightly cooked bok choy.
Citrus Salsa:
  • 2 (4-ounce) wild salmon fillets
Bok Choy
  • 3 heads bok choy, roughly chopped
  • 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
  • Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
Instructions
  1. Combine salsa ingredients in a small bowl. Stir to coat, cover and place in the fridge until ready to use.
  2. Preheat a non-stick pan on medium heat. Add salmon, flipping halfway through, until cooked. About 3 to 4 minutes per side. When you have about 1 minute left, add a spritz of lemon juice from your leftover squeezed lemon. Just a touch is all you need!
  3. Meanwhile, heat a second pan on medium heat and add bok choy. Cook until bright green and slightly wilted, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to a plate and top with slivered almonds and red pepper flakes.
  4. Spoon salsa over fish to serve.

View nutrition information

I made the salsa first so that the flavors would develop while everything else was cooking.

Begin by segmenting your oranges and removing the skin from the flesh of the orange. It’s easy if you cut it like this:

Next, cut the avocado. I just cut horizontal and vertical lines in the flesh, then scooped out into the bowl.

My favorite trick for keeping the other half of the avocado from browning is to wrap it in the skin from the used half. Store it in a little baggy and you’ll be surprised at how fresh it stays!

Squeeze in some lemon juice, add the rest of the ingredients, cover and chill until you’re ready to devour.

Next up, get your bok choy and salmon ready.

I usually save the ends of the bok choy to use as paint stamps for crafts. Look at the end there, it looks like a rose, doesn’t it? Save the end, dip in paint and press onto paper. It’ll create a beautiful rose on the page!

Place your salmon in a pan…

and bok choy in the other. I began with the stems and worked my way up to the leaves.

And, in less time that it took to print the recipe and remove the ingredients from the fridge, you’ll have dinner on your kitchen table ready to be enjoyed.

What foods or practices do you have in your life to maintain a healthy brain?

I love making fruit-based salsas. And I really love salmon with fruit. My favorite so far with with blackberries and sage but I haven’t tried orange! Thanks for another great idea!

Oh my gosh… blackberries? Yum! I’ve tried raspberries and it was ridiculous good!

Ha! I packed a salmon-sage-raspberry-avocado salad for snack today!

jaime @ sweet road

I really enjoy hearing about what you are eating during your cleanse. Too often I know people who say they want to “cleanse” but in reality it seems like they are depriving their bodies of a lot. It’s nice to see you concentrating on what you need rather than what you need to get rid of!

Want to come over and make me dinner tonight? ;) I can’t believe we never had salmon while you were here! I tend to eat it at least once a week, usually in some sort of Asian stir-fry with some edamame tossed in, so I guess that’s double the brain power right there! I know I definitely don’t eat as many seeds as you do (you’re like a nut and seed rockstar!) but lately I’ve been tossing pumpkin seeds on top of all my salads. They have such a great crunch!

Uh ya! I’d love to :) I can be there by 6pm if I leave now.

Heh, I wish.

Okay, well next time… salmon is on the menu! Great to hear you’ve been eating more seeds, that’s awesome. You’re right I’m a bit obsessed with them (I’m snacking on a handful of hemp seeds as I write this). The pumpkin seeds you had at your place were gooooood. Were they roasted? Mine don’t taste nearly as good as yours.

Michelle

I never thought of that avocado trick before! Wow thank you for the awesome tip. The salad looks awesome too!

It works like a charm!

Casey (A Healthy Spin)

I’m always trying to find a way to use bok choy that’s a little more creative. Thank you thank you!

Hi Casey – my all-time favorite is to marinate the bok choy in a bit of oil, minced garlic and gluten-free soy sauce. Let it sit for a couple of hours and dig in. It’s crazy good!

Tamikko

Great avo tip! I am in love with this recipe. I just got salmon from Costco and this is just the right amount of zing to round out the recipe. Love love love it!

Alissa N

Your cleanse has looked amazing. Especially this recipe, I want to eat this right now!!

Carol @ Lucky Zucca

Yum!!! This meal looks absolutely fantastic!! I think it is really neat that you focused on specific things each week with your cleanse. Though I’m not doing the cleanse, I feel like I’ve learned a lot from what you’ve shared about it on here.

I love bok choy and haven’t had any in awhile – thanks for the reminder to change that!

GiGi Eats Celebrities

I have a serious salmon obsession and just looking at your blog post made me so happy! Looks absolutely delicious :)

That’s awesome, GiGi! I have you checked out my salmon cakes? They’re out of this world amazing… if I do say so myself :D

Helena H

One of my all time favourite meals!!! For a truly AMAZING salsa try mango and a little chopped chilli instead of the orange. The perfect Summer meal from Queensland, Australia… where shorts in November …is just how it is!! I love your blog Leanne!!

Mmm shorts in November for longer than 1 (lucky) day… I LOVE the sounds of that! Thanks for stopping in and saying hello, Helena :)

Sonia! The Healthy Foodie

I love the sound of that, too! Maybe that’s why so many Québécois end up moving to Australia? Gorgeous looking dish, Leanne. Brilliant use of color, once again. Love the idea of orange with salmon. I don’t think I’ve ever tried that. I definitely have to.

Oh, and don’t get too comfortable… the snow IS coming, you know… ;) Fingers crossed that it takes its sweet time, though. No rush! :)

Ah don’t say those words! I’ve been enjoying this so very much.