Brussels Bowl with Cauliflower “Rice” and Rosemary Sauce

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on November 16, 2012

Brussels Bowl with Cauliflower "Rice" and Rosemary Sauce #paleo #grainfree #vibrantlifecleanse

There are so many things that I love about this meal.

I’ve wondered if grains were bothersome to my body for awhile but the reaction was so faint, so barely there, that I didn’t pay much attention to it. The key to becoming the healthy, balanced being that we all strive for is listening to those teeny tiny little clues that our body sends us. Sometimes they’re loud – think anaphylaxis reaction to peanuts, or faint, like when you eat chocolate and get a headache a couple of hours later, or can’t concentrate the following day.

Whatever the case is, your body has the ability to communicate with you, to guide you, help differentiate between right and wrong, nourishing and weakening, it’s all there.

For me, as much as I hate, resist, loath and struggle to admit it, I’m sensitive to grains. Buckwheat, rice, millet, quinoa… every time I enjoy them my stomach gets slightly bloated, I feel off balance, and a bit on edge. *humpf*

When I commit to listening to that innate wisdom I try not to get too crazy about it all. I’ve accepted that grains don’t do well in my body but if I’m traveling through India and the only thing available to me is a bowl of rice, I’m going to have that rice. But I’m going to eat it with the intention that it’s going to nourish me, not worry about what it’s going to do to my insides. And, when I’m at home where I can make meal choices myself, I’ll opt for grain-free options.

I’m 100% positive that my body will let me know when I can eat grains again, and that that day will come. I just know that the less I eat of them now, the better off I’ll feel.

To print, email or text this recipe, click here.

4.5 from 4 reviews

Brussels Bowl with Cauliflower “Rice” and Rosemary Sauce
Author:
Allergens: Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free, Nut-free
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 1

Grain-free “rice” bowl that’s loaded with veggies, homemade mini meatballs and topped off with a (dairy-free) creamy rosemary sauce.
Brussels Bowl:
  • 1 cup sliced butternut squash
  • ½ teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • ½ teaspoon dried marjoram
  • 60 grams extra-lean ground beef, rolled into 4 mini meatballs
  • 2 cups cauliflower florets
  • 1 cup frozen Brussels sprouts, cooked according to package instructions
  • Couple of slices of radicchio cabbage
  • ¼ yellow pepper, sliced thin
Rosemary Sauce:
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • ½ tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
  • 1 teaspoon water
  • 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon gluten-free Dijon mustard
  • 1 small garlic clove
  • Pinch sea salt
  • Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Place sliced butternut squash, marjoram and olive oil on one side of the pan, flip to coat. On the second side, place mini meatballs.
  3. Cook in the oven for a total of 25 minutes, rotating the squash halfway through and removing the meatballs after 10 minutes, or until their internal temperature reaches 165F.
  4. Meanwhile, pulse cauliflower florets just until broken down and the same size as rice. Place in the bowl of your steamer and steam for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, drop into a strainer and allow to sit for a couple of minutes.
  5. While all of this is happening, add the rosemary sauce ingredients to a small blender and blend until smooth.
  6. To assemble: begin with a bottom layer of “rice” then cabbage, cooked Brussels sprouts, roasted squash, and side layer of sliced bell peppers, topped with cooked meatballs and pour on the dressing.
  7. Dig in!

View nutrition information

I prepared this recipe for myself for lunch yesterday so I made it for 1 serving only. You could just double up on the ingredients to share with a friend. It’d be more than easy to do!

I first tried cauliflower “rice” in this grain-free tabbouleh in the summer. It was great, but the cauliflower being uncooked bothered my stomach a little. For this second version of cauliflower rice, I chose to steam the “rice” a bit. It softened things up nicely, and was digested easily. Win!

This sauce is delicious. I’ve really enjoyed coming up with new sauces to pour over my vegetable bowls. A different herb or vinegar can massively change the flavor profile, making it a whole new dish.

Spoon all of the ingredients in side layers so that you get to see all of the beautiful colors… and dig in!

Are there foods in your life that you suspect may not agree with your body 100%? Do you ignore the signs and eat them anyways for fear that adjusting your eating style will cause frustration or grief?

Erica { EricaDHouse.com }

My body is a bit sensitive to grains as well – I think it’s just the issue of having to break them down versus the normally ‘easy’ vegetables and fruits I eat most of. I can’t wait to try cauliflower as a sub next time!

You know how I feel about Brussels sprouts!!! This sounds so delicious. Over time I’ve definitely become more conscious of what makes my body feel good – whole foods – mostly fruit, veggies, and lean protein with smaller amounts of fats. I’ll still eat grains occasionally, but they’re usually gluten-free ones. Anything fried is pretty much a recipe for disaster in my digestive system!

Shel@PeachyPalate

Love cauliflower rice! Amazing pics btw!

Donna

I loathe to admit I have a difficult time digesting ANY grain.much bloating..delayed gastric emptying….but my system seems much more “at peace” with lean proteins (meat/poultry/fish/shellfish/eggs)..veggies galore and low glycemic fruits (lots of citrus and berries)..If I veer too far from this scenario ..it’s troublesome…Dairy also does “a number” on me…except for some fermented sorts…yogurts and certain unpasteurized goat cheeses (blessed with this here in France!!) do well with my system…We are all so unique and we DO need to listen to our bodies and work WITH them instead of against them…

The REAL difficulty I encounter is with my family who refuses to “understand” or empathize with what I need to eat to feel healthily nourished!..If I do not take the bread/starch/rice etc..it is if I am rejecting them instead of the food!…This is so complicated and difficult..especially since I am the one who prepares the meals in the house…Great thought-provoking post Leanne…as usual!..

Michelle R

I love your advice to listen to your body’s clues – It’s very challenging to do, especially do well enough to be able to make solid changes that have a good impact… And so easy to slide back into un-hearing.

Leanne, your photo styling is absolutely gorgeous! I think it with almost every one of your posts I read (which is ALL of them since I subscribed to your feed) but I forgot to ever actually MENTION it. Really, I love the “Brussels Bowl with Cauliflower Rice and Rosemary Sauce (88)” photo above – I’ll use it to Pin this recipe in Pinterest – but it’s just one of many that have really been a delight to look at and use as inspiration to cook AND learn photography styling better! Thank you!!

Jane

This looks super yummy. Gotta make sometime soon. Still in love with your Turkey cranberry meatballs!

lindsay

This looks SO delish!! Going to make it tonight!

barb

I have found a big difference when I use sprouted grains! Its my new recent find….I buy sprouted buckwheat at the health food store…I think it was soaked and sprouted and dehydrated…so the tummy troubling phytic acids and such are all neutralized. It worked. Tummy much happier. I’ve only used sprouted buckwheat tho…..I know Whole Foods now sells sprouted other grains too.
This recipe looks YUM…I’m digging the rosemary sauce!

You know what, you’re totally right, Barb! I’d completely forgotten about the stint I did with sprouted grains and how much better they made me feel. It was ages ago. I’ll have to give them a try this week. I know just the place to get them!

Alissa N

I think I am sensitive to grains too, but am in denial about it since I love them. When I have a time of feeling off or not optimally healthy I cut them out. Cycling on and off them seems to work for me, if I have them once a day 3 days a week or something.

Denial is the worst, isn’t it? I’ve been there many, many times.

kim@hungryhealthygirl

All of the things I’ve been loving lately….cauliflower rice, Brussels sprouts, and butternut squash! Can’t wait to give this a try!

Betty

I recently have started eliminating certain foods from my diet in the hopes of finding out what causes my headaches and digestive issues…I will definitely be trying this recipe out! This looks delicious!

That’s great, Betty! It’ll be really interesting to see what you find out about yourself :)

Kristi Rimkus

You are so right. I was recently diagnosed with an egg sensitivity. I wasn’t listening to those little clues my body was sending. Now after a year of not eating eggs, I can see right away when I slip and sneak some in. This is a lovely meal for sure!

Camillia

I feel like a bit of an odd duck with my food sensitivities, grains are one of the foods that I am confident will not upset my stomach. Where I have some real difficulties is with a few fruits and veg. I am properly allergic to eggplant (scary swollen tongue/itchy throat), and have realized that the sensitivity extends to other nightshades as well (particularly bell peppers, not so much trouble with potatoes and tomatoes). Bell peppers used to be a staple in my diet, one day I finally listened to my body and stopped eating them and I haven’t looked back! No cravings, much happier belly! I also cannot digest citrus at all. Makes me wonder if I am getting enough vitamin C… Where I do still have cravings is around cutting out dairy. I do much better without dairy (much less mucousy) but OH do I miss it!

Tammy

I REALLY really need a cleanse. Really bad. But I’m kind of scared of going to carby and I notice a lot of your cleanse is no protein. I am not an athlete (only an occasional walker) but I don’t want to lose weight. I just need to cleanse really badly. My body is breaking down like an dI’ve bene binging on so much dairy and crap for a long time now :( How can I do it sensibly? Can one cleanse completely through food? (Cause I can’t afford fancy suppleements or products).
I would do your cleanse, but the high-carb kind of scares me (since i don’t exercise much) + yours is complicated :) I need REALLY simple meal plans with no fuss or stuff. I need super simple. ANy suggestions for other bloggers or books or websites that show exact meal plans appropriate for a cleeanse? Thanks!!!

Hi Tammy – while I was on the cleanse I was having about 150 grams of carbs and 60 grams of protein, even in the first week when I was having 0 animal protein. There are definitely ways to use plants as proteins. I don’t know of other cleanse programs out there, but you could just try adding fresh juices to your day, along with removing all processed foods and develop your own version. Hope that helps!

tammy

Are other bloggers folllowing your exact cleanse? Did you exercise much? Do you know the amount of calories you took in? So like for the typical day on the cleanse you had the 150 carbs and 60 protein. I would kind of like to try your exact cleanse meal plans for the 2 weeks, but I’ve zero juicer and no real trendy items wheere I live. Plus no time or patience for a lot of prep and stuff. I need super siimple. Hmm…

Hi Tammy – There were a lot of us doing it, not sure if they were other bloggers or not. I made the plan specific to me so this may not work best for you. I don’t count my calories, so I couldn’t tell you. Maybe 1500 to 2000 per day depending on how I felt, what activities I was doing, etc. I just go with the flow when it comes to my eating. I followed the meal plan and when I was hungry outside out what I’d planned, I sauteed kale for snack, ate raw or steamed veggies, or snacked on a handful of nuts/seeds. Hope that helps!

Julie

My friend just shared your sight with me and I am loving your creative recipe’s. I am currently working on mindfulness meditation practices to gear up for healthy holiday eating. Love seeing your intuitive holistic approach to health!

Thanks for stopping in and introducing yourself, Julie! I think it’s just fabulous that you’re preparing yourself with meditation so that you approach the holidays with ease and grace!

Ann

Leanne
So simple, yet a great combo! I happened to be roasting squash and Brussels when I saw this, which was perfect, so I put it together for dinner.
Yum!
Ann

Roasted Brussels are one of my favorites! I bet your dinner was divine!

Jenny

I already have several foods I strictly avoid, although I have suspected lately that grains don’t always serve me well. Honestly, it’s depressing to think about cutting one more thing out of my diet, even if it makes me feel better.

I totally feel you on this one Jenny. Great thing is is that most of these sensitivities come and go so I like to remind myself that if I cut them out for awhile it doesn’t mean that I’ll never get to have them again. But yes, I definitely know where you’re coming from.

Naomi

This is such a creative, interesting dish. I find that I get really tired of eating my vegetables the same old way (I’m not very imaginative in the kitchen). I’ve tried cauliflower as mashed potatoes before, and it worked out really well. I usually eat a more paleo diet, but some days it’s all vegetarian. It’s nice to find ways to leave out the grains from familiar dishes. I’m looking forward to trying this!!

I’m totally with you, Naomi. I get so utterly bored of veggies but sauces like this rosemary sauce do a world of difference to an otherwise boring bowl of veggies!

Pamela

Oh wow! I went gluten and dairy free and haven’t been able to figure out why I’m still so bloated…..everything is rice, rice, rice, millet, and more rice! I’d better start taking this all seriously and your posts make it seem possible :) So glad I found you at just the right time. Thank you!

Carly

Hi Leanne,

I love your website. I am 41 and recently found out I am allergic to almonds. I am trying to avoid most nuts now and I have been getting an itchy throat after eating avocados and other foods…which is making me stressed and frustrated. I am so happy to read your positivity on food sensitivities. I swear last month I never thought I had any sensitivities to foods. The fact that they might just be a phase is so reassuring. I will plan to avoid, eat healthily and be patient. Thanks so much.