Pumpkin Orange Cream Smoothie

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on October 19, 2012

Yoga challenge. Are you doing it with us?

Can I be honest?

It’s hard.

Not that I want that to deter you… but this is harder than I thought it was going to be. My body hurts, my heart can’t take it at times, and I’m sick of washing my yoga gear every gosh-darn day.

There are days I don’t want to go. Like really, really don’t want to get off my butt, put my workout clothes on, a jacket, get on the bus, and go to class.

I make up a billion excuses about what I should be doing instead of yoga – I bury myself in my work, wait until the very last minute to eat dinner and then say I can’t go because I’m too full, I even pretended to fall down the stairs so that Kevin would take pity on me and tell me I didn’t have to go. What’s with that?

Do you find there are things in your life where you do the same? Resist it like the plague even though you know it’s good for you?

Fake trip down the stairs and all, I’m proud to say that I’ve gone everyday now for 18 days and I’ve written about each of my struggles, happy moments and everything in between in my yoga journal. It feels good to share my thoughts in there and I’ve found talking about this has helped me stay committed… so thanks for listening.

My heart’s opening, I’m working through emotions I didn’t even know I had, and I’m drinking a lot of smoothies!

I’m not sure what it is, but every time I’ve gotten home from yoga, I just want to drown myself in a smoothie. Doesn’t matter the kind, just something cool and refreshing, packed with nutrients, and maybe a little sprinkle of nuts, seeds or dried fruit…

and pumpkin.

When it came time to make myself a smoothie a couple of days ago, I was reminded of the gorgeous pumpkin and orange cupcakes I spotted on I Adore Food and I went for my own rendition of the unique flavor combo.

I was a bit hesitant with it at first, but boy was it delicious!

Head on over to my Happy Days Inspirations page for the recipe.

For the dairy-free version of this recipe and it’s nutrition information, click here.

Other than joining in on the yoga challenge ;), what do you have in store for the weekend?

I’ll be… doing yoga…heh. I’m also excited to be meeting up with Sonia at the Jean Talon market today, dropping Kevin off at the airport tomorrow, and perhaps sleeping in for a long, long time on Sunday.

Have a great Friday!

Sleeping for a long long time? SNAP! That’s on my agenda too! Congratulations on your yoga progress so far, Leanne! I’ve made up the very same excuses as you, including that “I’m too full from dinner” one. Way to go for keeping at it. I suppose a way to get around having to wash your gear every day is to buy some more Lululemon items and rotate them? ;) (Says my inner shopaholic.. lol!)

Sophie

Hi Leanne!

Congratulations on sticking with the yoga. My one question would be – are you still able to stay ‘present’ and mindful when you are IN the class? If you are, then it’s totally worth it!

I don’t know if this will mean anything to you, but yesterday I went to a yoga class and one lady did a chakra reading on me before and after the class. Well, the yoga class changed the readings! Most notably: my heart chakra was closed before the class…and completely OPEN after the class <3

Anyways – I like your idea of the yoga journal…I'm going to start one… ;)

Have a lovely weekend!

Thanks Sophie! My motto is – if I can stay present for 15% or more of the class, I’ve had a successful run at it. Sometimes it’s 0% other times it’s 99.9%. I guess that’s the beauty of the practice!

Wow, that’s so cool about your chakra opening experience. I have no doubt that yoga would help to open your heart up. Too cool.

Andrea G

What a delicious combo! I would have never thought to try citrus and pumpkin but it sounds really good and I might have to pick up the ingredients when I shop today.

I sometimes cannot drag myself to workout and my gym is in my home ;) ha ha! It always feel best to just go ahead and do it, though.

Have a great weekend!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com }

I’m also very resistant to yoga at times (and meditation). I always feel great after but .. it’s like I don’t want to open myself emotionally for it. It’s so different from other exercises which are primarily physical and it takes a lot of energy (mentally) to do it.

What a vibrant and perfectly orange smoothie – exactly perfect for this time of year!

Sonnet

This smoothie looks so good! This weekend I’m going to my weekly yoga class (I don’t know if I could do yoga daily, but you are such an inspiration!) and hoping to fight off this bad cold with lots of sleep! Hope you have a great weekend & stay warm! :)

cat

Yah – I would agree. Buy more workout clothes. Oh wait. Then you’d have another excuse! “I can’t decide which workout clothes to wear!” A fake fall? What???? Good grief. The smoothie sounds wonderful – definitely going to give it a try in the morning… or maybe dessert tonight. :-) My weekend? A lot of cooking, would be nice to squeeze in some sewing and/or organizing my art studio, and entertaining – except for a funeral on Saturday. :-(

Meredith

This smoothie looks delish! Totally understand how difficult a yoga challenge can be sometimes, this is my 6th 30 day challenge at my Moksha studio and some of them have been easy and I’ve been so excited to go every day and others are tough! The one I’m doing now has been hard – I’ve been working so much, I’m quite tired a lot of the time, and sometimes I just want to sit on my butt and not go to the yoga studio. But I’ve been doing it and I’ve been (mostly) present in my practice, so I guess that’s a success! Good luck with the rest of it!

swati

yoga is tough especially some of the asanas are quite tough what with the breathing pattern to keep in mind too, but I found it helpful in the long term…..having said that I have to add I just love the clicks in this post and the recipe is fantastic too.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen

Oh yes, I’m familiar with the excuses game too. When I’m dragging and don’t feel like doing it I just tell myself to commit to 10 minutes and I can stop after that which seems to work b/c once I’ve invested the first ten I rarely want to stop.

That is such a great strategy, Sylvie. I love that!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner

I bet that’s delicious! (And now I have a can of pumpkin puree calling me from my fridge.) Heheh. ;)

Katherine @ Green Thickies

Great minds think alike. I made a very similar green smoothie version of this recently too. Pumpkin and orange juice go so well together!

Yes I know what you mean. I have been the same way with exercise lately. I cut my workout down to 10 minutes and still told myself I didn’t have time to go and get changed and get my DVD set up.

I love walking outside but when it’s raining all the time I also think of a million reasons not to go out.

It’s hard to get in a routine with exercise. I find it’s better to do it first thing in the morning if you can. Get it over with and have plenty of time left for all your other jobs. Otherwise you can just fill your time with other things. I can’t be bothered with classes though. I just don’t have the time for travel and waiting around time.

Cassandra @ TheScienceofFood

I might just have to try this! I’ve never been into smoothies but I want to start experimenting. At the same time I’m experimenting with raw food. You used canned pumpkin, I have raw pumpkin in my fridge, I know raw foodies use pumpkin, can you imagine it working in a smoothie?

Hi Cassandra – for sure you can use fresh pumpkin. Here are some details on raw pumpkin and how to consume it: http://www.livestrong.com/article/305635-can-you-eat-raw-pumpkin/ You may need extra water to grind it all together, but I imagine it would work! Enjoy :)

Mary @ Benefits of Juicing

I’m an avid fan of smoothies myself, and I love to experiment recipes as well to get to choose a base of my liking, for me and my kids. Your recipes is officially added on my list! I never had a pumpkin smoothies, and this is a must try, from the picture itself, the bright yellow color entices me to taste it already.