Zucchini Socca with Tasty Yummies

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on September 11, 2012

The last time that Beth from Tasty Yummies visited, she shared a gluten-free and vegan lentil “meat”loaf that wowed us all. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve made this loaf since – for dinner parties, potlucks, or on a lazy Sunday afternoon. The recipe is just that good that you can’t not make it over, and over, and over again.

I have no doubt that with Beth’s skills in developing crowd-pleasing gluten-free and vegan, recipes that this zucchini socca will be a thing of dreams. Enjoy!

Hi guys! Beth from Tasty Yummies here! I have been blogging at Tasty Yummies for over 2 years now, where I feature clean, gluten-free, seasonal recipes, most of which are also vegan.

I am so happy to be back here on Healthful Pursuit again, sharing a recipe with you guys while Leanne and Kevin make the big trip to Montreal. I am so happy for them and the new journey that lies ahead and I cannot wait to follow along! What a pleasure to not only be sharing one of my recipes on a blog that I admire so much, but to also be among so many other wonderful guest bloggers who I also follow and love, so thank you Leanne and thank you guys for reading!

I decided to share a recipe that would be perfect way to use some of those last of the season zucchini, whether from your own garden, your neighbors or maybe like me, your CSA share. Zucchini is my absolute favorite vegetable and I love coming up with creative uses for it every year. This year I even made zucchini chocolate chip cookies with some of the abundance of zucchini.

Socca, if you haven’t yet had one, will definitely become a new obsession after you make your first one. Socca, also known as farinata or cecina, is a sort of thin, unleavened pancake or crêpe of chickpea flour. Served hot and crispy, this chickpea pancake is a quintessential street food found in Nice, France. Many times it is browned or even blackened around the edges, and it has an almost custard like, tender inside. From what I have read, traditionally it is made in a cast iron pan over hot coals or a fire, but it can certainly be made at home in a hot oven, either in a cast iron pan, cake pans or a pizza pan.

I have made it the traditional way with chickpea flour and I have also made it with a blend of chickpea and fava bean flour. Both ways are delicious. Socca can be made with any extra add ins, topped with whatever you would like, or just simply as is. It is so versatile, I bet you could even make a sweet dessert type socca! It is great just cut into wedges as a simple and easy to eat appetizer or it can also be served almost like a pizza, as a meal. Not too long ago I shared a recipe for a Kalamata Olive and Herb Socca with Roasted Vegetables that I served as a simple lunch for myself and my hubby!

This socca features shredded zucchini inside which provides a nice bit of color and flavor, but I also added in some fresh basil and some red pepper flakes and topped it all off with caramelized onions, one of my favorites! There is a wonderful crispiness to the outside and a nice creamy and delectable inside.

Thanks again for having me Leanne and safe travels to you, Kevin, Lexy and Pebbles!

print, email or text this recipe

4.7 from 6 reviews

Zucchini Socca with Caramelized Onions
Author:
Allergens: Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free, Nut-free
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 6

Grain-free flat bread with caramelized onions
  • 1 cup chickpea flour
  • 1 cup lukewarm water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (you can use less if you don’t like spicy food)
  • 3 tablespoons fresh basil, roughly chopped
  • 1 cup (tightly packed), shredded zucchini (make sure to squeeze out all of the excess moisture)
  • 4 to 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, optional
Instructions
  1. Sift the chickpea flour into a medium-sized bowl, add in the salt and red pepper flakes, then slowly pour in 1 cup of lukewarm water. Whisk well to eliminate lumps. Stir in 2 tablespoons olive oil. Cover, and let sit while oven heats, I like to leave it sit a few hours (you can leave it as long as 12 hours). Batter should be somewhat thin, much like a crepe batter or heavy cream.
  2. While the batter rests, make your caramelized onions. Coat the bottom of a large pan with olive oil, or a mixture of olive oil and butter, if you wish. Heat the pan over a medium high heat until the oil is shimmering. Add the onion slices and give them a good stir to coat them all with the oil, sprinkle them with salt. Spread the onions out evenly over the pan and let cook, stirring occasionally. You may want to drop the heat to keep them from drying out. Let them cook another 20-30 minutes, stirring every few minutes, while your batter rests and even while the socca is cooking, you can literally cook them up until you need them.
  3. Once the batter has rested at least 30 minutes and the onions are close to being ready, add the shredded zucchini and fresh basil to the socca batter, mix well to combine.
  4. Heat oven to 500ºF and place a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet in oven while it preheats (you can also use a nonstick 12-inch pizza pan or 2 cake pans, etc). Remove the skillet when the oven is to temperature, add about 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil swirl around in the pan to get a nice even coating all the way around and up the sides a bit. Return to pans the oven for a couple of minutes to heat up the oil.
  5. Once the oil is heated up, carefully remove the hot pan from the oven and pour your batter in slowly. Bake 10-15 minutes until the socca is firm and the edges are set. Heat your broiler to a medium-high heat, evenly distribute the caramelized onions over the surface of the socca. Broil for an additional 3-5 minutes, until the top gets some nicely browned spots. Cut it into wedges, and serve hot.
Notes
This is great as a meal or as an appetizer. If your pancake is a little thinner because you used a larger pan or maybe it’s breaking apart, no worries at all, this snack is meant to be rustic and eaten with your fingers. Enjoy.

Jenny$1983

I really enjoy your blog Beth! I love courgettes (what we call them in England) as they’re so versatile: great whether they’re fried, roasted, baked, or in smoothies and muffins – I’ve got a few chocolate courgette muffins left from a batch I made recently, I enjoy how they lend a moist yet light texture to everything :)

I’ve yet to try socca but I think this might be the recipe that makes me finally get hold of some chickpea flour and pull my finger out :D

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

Aww thanks so much Jenny! I will have to check out a recipe for courgettes and see how similar they are. Definitely get some chickpea flour and make a socca as soon as you can. You won’t regret it :)

I love this! It looks almost like a souffle with the deep layers of veggies and creamy chickpea dough….

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

Thanks Alex – yeh it is definitely kinda fluffy like a soufflé and almost a little custardy, too. So amazing it is just chickpea flour!

Deanna

Yum! I’ve had a very simple socca in the past, but not one filled with veggies. I’ll have to try this.

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

Yeh this is the first time I added some veggies right in with the batter, I was very pleasantly surprised how it turned out.

Janae @ Bring-Joy

Beth, I love this, & love that it’s vegan. So many gf recipes like this use eggs, so the fact that this does not is GREAT! Yum.

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

Hey Janae – Great I am so glad you like it. I am not exclusively vegan, but I eat a mostly vegan diet and really enjoy the challenge of creating dishes that way! I hope you enjoy this if you make it!

Lauren @SizzleEats

This looks amazing!!! Fantastic that it’s vegan too!!!

Thanks Lauren! :)

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

Leanne – thank you again for having me as a guest-poster :) Always a pleasure to share one of my recipes with your lovely readers! Hope you guys are settling in well, I can’t wait to see all of the deliciousness you create in your new surroundings!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers

I’ve never had or made socca, but it’s been on my to-try list for about a year now. Ugh… that’s kinda pathetic now that I think about it. haha

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

Oooh you simply MUST make it. It isn’t pathetic at all, I didn’t try it until earlier this year, but after you make it the first time, you will be kicking yourself that you haven’t been making it for years :) Hope you enjoy it if you make it.

Danielle @ Fresh4Five

OOH I MUST make this!! looks amazing! I love Socca ~ Danielle

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

Ha Danielle, yes, you MUST :)

Lisa @ The Raw Serenity

This looks amazing beth!
So glad to be introduced to your blog :)

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

Thanks Lisa! So glad you found me :)

Gwen @SimplyHealthyFamily

Sounds amazing! I have some chickpea flour and a couple of zuk’s looking a bit sad that I can use to make this tonight! Love the carmelized onion addition.

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

Gwen, I hope you enjoyed this if you made it. Thanks so much!

Cara

love the addition of fresh veggies and herbs here! and like you I prefer to bake my socca at a higher temperature, for shorter time.

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

Thanks Cara – I feel like you could add just about anything to a socca and it would still be amazing! :)

Lou

Yummo….. great to see a great blogger featured on a great blog! Great great :)

I always love to check out you amazing photos, and ideas Beth…. plus you are a yogini – what more could one ask for!?

Chickpea flour is one of my absolute favourites – I ALWAYS have a jar on hand…. such a versatile, nutritious (delicious) ingredient…. I will have to try your recipe (love caramalised onions!)

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

Aww Lou – hi!! Thanks so much for all of your lovely compliments! I hope you are well and thanks for swinging by to check out my recipe and guest post :)

Sherrie

A big thanks to Beth for this wonderful blog post and for introducing me to another wonderful healthy living blog! I love you blog Leanna, well done. Glad to virtually connect with you!

-Sherrie
Living Simply Gluten Free

Thanks, Sherrie :) Thanks for stopping by and introducing yourself, glad to have you here!

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

Hi Sherrie! YAY, so glad I could introduce you to Leanne and HP – she is so lovely and her blog is one of my absolute favs! Enjoy!

Anne

Beth, love love love reading your blog. Have made the original socca recipe of yours several times and it’s always a big hit with company. Made this one last night for dinner and my husband loved it. I added some baby bellas in with the onions in the last 10 minutes. Thanks for the recipes and keeping us all inspired!
Anne-Texas

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

Hi Anne – thank you so much! I am so glad you have enjoyed that original recipe many times over. It is amazing for how simple it is, how impressive it can be, right? I love the addition of the baby bellas to the onions, great idea! Thanks for sharing and thanks for taking time to comment!

Peggy

Your blog is new to me Beth, but I’m glad I’ve discovered you! I’ll definitely be trying my hand at Socca very soon!

Molly Kiely

Made this today for a dinner party, and it was fantastic. I’d hoped to make it once or twice before the party, but didn’t have the time; fortunately the procedure was simple and uncomplicated, and the socca turned out wonderfully. My oven is a bit hot, so I kept the heat at 400F — even then it was almost a shade too brown along the edges. I substituted leeks and rosemary for the onions and basil, and added sliced red grapes and fresh organic goat cheese — obviously not vegan that way, but very lovely. Thanks for turning me and my friends onto socca!

Sounds like you had a successful dinner party! I love the changes you made to the socca, great idea!

alex

I love the sound of this cause I wanted to try a socca with more vegies. I have all the ingredients except for basil, but I have king, do you think items worth putting mint in? Cause I could use rosemary.

Rosemary would work really nice!

alex

Used rose mary thanks so much, loved it and is such a good way to get anyone to eat chickpeas.

Brooke

LOVE! I stumbled upon both of your blogs with this recipe, seriously my new favorite places! I had never heard of socca, but when the first batch was done & I snagged a bite… well, lets just say I am glad there is more in the oven. Thank you ladies!

I’m so happy that you found us, and that you stopped in to say hello :) SO great that you gave this recipe a try, it’s a gooder!

Stephanie

Completely obsessed with this recipe. I think I’ve made it about a dozen times now!
Done some experimenting with cabbage & carrot instead of the shredded zucchini, sooo good.
I <3 Socca! Thank youuu!!!

Wow, nice! I love the idea of adding carrot. I’ll have to try that next time, too. Have a good night, Stephanie :)

Cassandra

Thanks Beth! I made this last night. I didn’t have zucchini so I substituted with bok choy. Delicious!