Strawberry Banana Muffins

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on August 20, 2012

When I first started blogging about my gluten-free pursuits in the kitchen, I sucked at making muffins and quick breads. Like… really, really sucked. I’m not cutting myself down in the slightest, just stating the facts – baked goods (other than cookies) were not my strong point.

I remember making 4 separate batches of movin’ along raspberry muffins; 3 of each variation of the recipe in the same muffin pan, and not one of them worked. Each version came out mushier than the last.

One day I decided to make carrot cake loaf… that one day turned into 4 before I got the recipe right.

And that darn tart, I’ve never been able to master that recipe.

But, through all the failed attempts and endless frustration, I’ve persevered! I’ve shown that recipe who the boss is, owned up to my weaknesses and continued trying no matter how difficult. Sure, you may say it’s just a muffin, but I’d like to think that if I retry the same failed batch of muffins until I’ve nailed the recipe, it could only help to build a strong character. That, or I’m just stubborn as heck.

We’ll go with the building of strong character, kay?

Over the years, I’ve developed set ratios for gluten-free baking. From muffins, to cookies, cakes and everything in between. While 99.9% of my attempts generally result in success, there’s always that one recipe that just doesn’t work out. Such was the case for these strawberry banana muffins that I began making about a week and a half ago. As you can see from this first attempt, they were dry beyond anything I’d ever made.

Kevin; bless his heart, nearly drank 2 full cups of almond milk trying to choke this one down. Most certainly The sign of a failed recipe. We can’t win ‘em all, right? That is, unless we just try and try again until we’ve nailed it… then the failures don’t seem all that bad.

Muffins, life decisions, all in the same if you ask me!

Inspired by Karina’s vegan strawberry banana muffins

print, email or text this recipe

5.0 from 2 reviews

Strawberry Banana Muffins
Author:
Allergens: Vegan (option), Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 12 muffins, 12 servings

Cake-like gluten-free muffins sweetened with bananas and loaded with fresh strawberries.
Wet
Dry
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin pan with paper or silicon liners and set aside.
  2. Combine all wet ingredients in a large bowl.
  3. Whisk all dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
  4. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until incorporated. Don’t mix too much or you’ll have rock-hard muffins.
  5. Drop batter into prepared muffin tins and bake for 25-28 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
  6. Allow muffins to cool in the pan for 1 minute before removing from the pan and placing on a cooling rack to cool.
  7. Muffins can be stored for a few days at room temperature. Keep in the fridge to prolong time, or freeze in an air-tight container for up to 3 months.
Notes
For oils, I’m sure replacing the walnut oil with grape seed, safflower or melted coconut would work just fine. Date sugar or perhaps brown sugar could be used instead of palm sugar Any liquid sweetener could be used in place of coconut nectar. Honey, brown rice syrup or date syrup would probably work! I don’t know whether or not substituting different flours would yield the same results but encourage you to give it a shot. Perhaps you could make this recipe vegan by removing the eggs and adding in 6 tablespoons of water mixed with 2 tablespoons of freshly ground flax seed. Be sure to let the water and flax mixture sit for 5 minutes before adding into the recipe like you would an egg.

In the case of these muffins, I went to one of my favorite gluten-free bloggers for inspiration. Sometimes it’s good when to know to reach out for a helping hand. I’m okay with admitting that!

Take II was far more successful than take I, that’s for sure!

Combine all wet ingredients in a large bowl.

Whisk all dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.

Coat sliced strawberries in a sprinkle of buckwheat flour and palm sugar… just ignore the herby dill label on that jar. That jar was from the batch of pickles I made last September and I can’t bear to remove the sticker just because it’s such an awesome label for a jar. That, and every time my sister sees it she starts to giggle. This one’s for you, Christina ;)

Add coated strawberries to the muffin mixture, folding in just until incorporated.

Dig in.

This looks amazing! I love love love muffins because they are so easy to grab and go. Add a little chopped chocolate to this baby and it would be like a banana split! mmmmm….

Good call on the chocolate, that’s a fabulous idea Alex!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com }

My mom had to start making gluten free stuff for my dad when he was diagnosed with Celiacs and it took her probably a year before she was happy with her gluten free baking pursuits! I can’t wait to pass along this recipe to her!

Liz

I’ve recently gone gluten free and am still a little scared to experiment with gluten free baking on my own. Other people’s recipes I think I might be brave enough to try, and these look amazing! I love strawberries.

Just stunning, Leanne! The flavors of strawberry-banana, the perfectly domed tops with the firm exterior and soft interiors, the fact you did it all GF & vegan, amazing!

You can make all the muffins you want Leanne, and I will never get tired of them! These look absolutely gorgeous, and delicious! I love strawberries (and any berries for that matter) and am trying to get my fill before they go out of season again. Great photos! :)

katie @KatieDid

I’m still at the sucking at muffins stage of my life. Example… trying to make those fig banana muffins the other morning. Tasty but ugly and too short haha!

You are just one muffin-making-fool! :) (I mean fool in a good way of course!) The classic strawberry & banana combo just can’t be beat! It just fits perfectly with every occasion. Your photos in this post are so beautiful! And I had no idea there were actual silicone muffin liners. I think I’ve seen the pans, but not the liners! Cool!

Lisa @ The Raw Serenity

Bravo girl! These look so damn tasty!
I will veganise these for sure :)

Thanks for sharing x

Rachel @ Almonds and Avocados

Gluten free baking is HARD!! I’ve definitely had many more failures than successes…and because I hate to waste food, I usually end up eating the failures and regretting it later :/ These muffins, though, look so fluffy and tasty! Do you think they would work well with flax eggs?? Thanks so much for the recipe!

Hi Rachel – yes, there is a flax egg suggestion in the ‘notes’ of the recipe. Enjoy!

Rachel @ Almonds and Avocados

Oh, ha! Thanks Leanne :)

Anytime :)

A Table in the Sun

Your photos are so beautiful. They tell the tale very well.

Lenore

Hi Leanne,
these look amazing! Have you tried freezing these little beauties? I am needing morning teas and freezing is easier than fresh! lol… Just thought I would ask if you have tried! And thanks for doing the hard work for us on these!

Hi Lenore – I sure have frozen these, and with much success, too!

delta

MUST. MAKE. THESE! I came wondering if you had a strawberry cream pie or banana cream pie and then thought I’d look for a strawberry-banana cream pie and found these babies. I got 8 packs of berries yesterday thru bountiful baskets so will be trying this today! <3

Well, I’m happy that you found this recipe! It’s one of my favorite strawberry recipes on the blog! Enjoy ;)

Brandy

I was wondering if this recipe would work in high elevation. I live in Colorado and for many baking recipes you have to add extra flour and such!! I really want to make them but I am afraid they won’t turn out.

Avi

These looks so amazing! I’ll have to give them a try first thing in the morning!
Keep up the good work, Leanne!

Avi

Ops, forgot to ask. What would you recommend instead of sorghum flour? I just realized I don’t have it:(

Hi Avi – I haven’t made these muffins any other way, but you could try brown rice flour… if you have that!

Avi

I am one satisfied girl today :)
I made the muffins, but not only that… I also made Coconut Joy Squares!
(I ended up subbing the sorghum flour with brown rice flour, not a problem)

Delicious!!!!